• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Titans, Knights Dragons win
we will play the Knights at the SFS or ANZ

Titans, Dogs, Eels win
we will play the Eels at the SFS or ANZ

Broncos, Dogs, Dragons win
we will play the Broncos at the Suncorp

Titans, Dogs, Dragons win
we will play the Titans at the Suncorp

any other scenario we are out

IF St George beat Parramatta today:

OUT:
Newcastle
Parramatta

WEEK OFF

Bulldogs
St George

WEEK 2
Brisbane v Manly @ Suncorp
Melbourne v Gold Coast @ Etihad

WEEK 3
St George v Winner of Brisbane v Manly (ANZ or SFS)
Bulldogs v Winner of Melbourne v Gold Coast (probably ANZ)

GRAND FINAL
St George, Manly or Brisbane v Bulldogs, Melbourne or Gold Coast

dont want this one
IF Parramatta beat St George today:

OUT
Newcastle
Manly

WEEK OFF

Bulldogs
Melbourne

WEEK 2
Brisbane v St George @ Suncorp
Parramatta v Gold Coast @ ANZ or SFS

WEEK 3
Melbourne v Winner of Brisbane v St George @ Etihad
Bulldogs v Winner of Parramatta v Gold Coast (probably ANZ)

GRAND FINAL
Melbourne, Brisbane or St George v Bulldogs, Parramatta or Gold Coast

Quite reminiscent of 2006.  Waiting to see if the minor premiers can beat the Eels so we can get flogged in the 2nd week of the finals.  I'd suggest our form this year is such that you could also argue we've slid 24 months backwards from our Premiership too, except that now we're on the slide, not the rise.

The scenario is that we beat the Bongos.  Hasler has to bite the bullet however and replace the half/5/8 with the victorious Qld Cup combination.  Get them down here immediately and work out the plan.  Have a game plan and stick to it.  

DSM5 link said:
The scenario is that we beat the Bongos.  Hasler has to bite the bullet however and replace the half/5/8 with the victorious Qld Cup combination.  Get them down here immediately and work out the plan.  Have a game plan and stick to it. 
  You know that is not going to happen and is, frankly, an over the top ludicrous suggestion.  I would only assume you're saying it so you can say "I told you so" if we go down to the Broncos.  But it is theorem that is never going to be tested by fire.

How is it 'over the top'?  Foran slotted in and is going great.  Ox is crap so any replacement would be better, or no worse.  We need to beat the Bongos, not just be out there.  We seem to lack any spark or excitment to our game so my suggestions will provide that spark.  get on the bus Matas as it's leaving now.

DSM5 link said:
How is it 'over the top'?  Foran slotted in and is going great.  Ox is crap so any replacement would be better, or no worse.  We need to beat the Bongos, not just be out there.  We seem to lack any spark or excitment to our game so my suggestions will provide that spark.  get on the bus Matas as it's leaving now.
 Your obsession has taken you beyond the point of delusion.  By all means debate the merits of Orford's long term future, but to suggest massive disruption via the removal of the captain and playmaker ahead of a must-win final, replacing them with a fellow who was dropped a few weeks ago for gross defensive frailties, is nonsensical and reactionary hogwash.

Correct Mata

Shame we have ended up on the Dragons side of the draw, was hoping for Dogs side

I would hate to attend a GF between Brisbane and Melbourne, hate the pair of them

Mata, you've gone on about our slide for the next two years for a while now, and that's delusional..  What I'm suggesting is a radical redrawing and thinking outside the 'conservative box' that you and Kiwi seem to be trapped in.  To suggest Ox get another years contract is just delaying the inevitable and is another sign of delusion.  He should go now with Kite..

QldEagle link said:
Tony Williams played 5/8 yesterday..................... Hodgkinson had a blinder

Hey QldEagle, were you at the game yesterday or were you like me and watched it on the ABC?  If you were at the game then it would be interesting to hear your take on the game for actually being there. Watching it on TV you are restricted to what they show you and so therefore you don't get to see the big picture.  I would be specifically interested to hear your views on Hodkinson (I know that you have already said that he had a blinder but more info please) and Eeyore (Tony Williams) playing 5\8th.  He seems to play a lot better when he is closer to the action where he can be more involved.  Out on the wing, I think that he just loses interest and goes to sleep because he is not involved enough.

DSM5 link said:
Mata, you've gone on about our slide for the next two years for a while now, and that's delusional..  What I'm suggesting is a radical redrawing and thinking outside the 'conservative box' that you and Kiwi seem to be trapped in.  To suggest Ox get another years contract is just delaying the inevitable and is another sign of delusion.  He should go now with Kite..

Radical redrawing in week 2 of the finals at Suncorp, against a side full of rep stars ???? That is just ridiculous DSM, and T-Rex and Hodkinson would be eaten alive under that sort of pressure

This current group have won 12 of the last 17

Whether the result is good or bad, they should be the group to decide the fate of the 09 season, and they are also the best chance of getting a good result

Ox has already been 'eaten alive' Kiwi.  No metres made on Friday night?  NONE, NIL. The Qld Cup is no slouch of a comp.  Why just go to the slaughter with the 'same' group of losers.  I'm personally sick of sub-standard performances from our stars.  Dump the weakest links and bring on some rising stars.  Give them a go, pressure never hurt anyone.   

To even suggest what you are saying DSM5 is not going to happen. Can you imagine the outcry if Orford was to be dropped? If it was going to happen, it should have been months ago. It would simply indicate panic and be so unsettling to the side as to be a disaster. It would hardly be fair on the youngsters either. Noone is happy about the form of the players in the top grade but these suggestions go from the sublime to the ridiculous.

DSM5 link said:
  Leave aside the next 1-3 years for now.  Let's just confirm your suggestion to drop Orford this week is ludicrous for all the reasons CW suggests.  It's not "radical", it's suicide.

Mata, have you ever played behind a captain that you thought was a complete moron?  no?  I can tell you that it's very disheartening and the rest of the teams form just drops off.  I'd suggest that's how the team feels about the unmentionable little guy.  No confidence in attack certainly, and that's why everyone knows not to worry to much when we get down the money end.  Having nothing there is the predictable thing about our play.  We need a spark and we need it sooner rather than later. 

You're not answering the question DSM5.  Are you serious in advocating wholesale captaincy/playmaking challenges for a knock-out semi, with the incoming player being T Rex in the 6 who I'm sure you were very critical of just a few weeks ago?

It's an interesting debate.  One that Dessie seems unlikely to consider.  And I remember a skinny young centre who wasn't up to first grade standard being shifted to first-grade second row in the semifinals.  The media had a ball reckoning the coach had taken leave of all his senses with such a wild and ill-considered risk.

The players' name?  Terry Randall. He cut down every player no matter the size.  An unbelievably successful and multi-premiership-winning move. Do we have those sort of possibilities in our lower grades now? Will sticking with the same-old cut it anyway?

Rex link said:
It's an interesting debate.  One that Dessie seems unlikely to consider.  And I remember a skinny young centre who wasn't up to first grade standard being shifted to first-grade second row in the semifinals.  The media had a ball reckoning the coach had taken leave of all his senses with such a wild and ill-considered risk.

The players' name?  Terry Randall. He cut down every player no matter the size.  An unbelievably successful and multi-premiership-winning move. Do we have those sort of possibilities in our lower grades now? Will sticking with the same-old cut it anyway?
\
It is human nature that the vast majority of people hate change. The poster that has stated that we have fallen back 24 months from our premiership last year has it spot on. Changes are needed but Dessie isn't gonna start re-building as it will put a dampener on his coaching record. An established coach isn't gonna start a re-build. You start a re-build under a new coach only.

To answer your question Mata, I would certainly replace the Little Guy with Hodgkinson.  The Little Man is playing injured apparently, as well as badly, and I'd consider Big T as 5/8th.  Maybe Foran.  But we certainly need someone who can either create something or punch a hole through to those trailing.  Which one, maybe both.  Get Tony into the action to get him involved.  Centre perhaps, inside Farrer.  The same old might just get us there, but so what?  We need to win well, feel confident and press on.  Either way Ox needs to go now to give the other guys a sniff.  It's a young man's game, speedy, smart and creative.  None of which is evident in our play at the moment. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6