SBW - the ramifications are huge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Any one who thinks SBW's walk-out of the Bulldogs and defection to Rugby is a small thing is deluding themselves. This is absolutely huge. His defection, along with Gasnier, will probably shake our game up far beyond what can be imagined.

Both of these players are the type that seriously draw in the crowds - they are the players I want to see. It is not just the skills and game-busting potential they have, it is also the battle to nullify them that is also half the enjoyment of watching a game.

If we are to lose the likes of Inglis, Folau, Slater, Snake, Thurston, Hunt, Lockyer, Mason, Marshall etc, then we are just going to have a much poorer product.

The sort of things my crystal ball sees are:

1. The NRL and News Ltd to consider a complete restructuring of both the game's finances and club entities.

2. The salary cap to be changed dramatically, if not completely thrown out.

3. Club constitutions to be changed to allow more private ownership, either by individuals or sorporations.

4. Player salaries to increase by 50 to 100% starting with negotiations in 2009.

5. Season ticket prices to double witthin 2 years

6. More calls for Rugby and RL to merge into a hybrid game with a serious push in 3 years.

a hybrid game would only work in junior levels... there is too much money from europe in Rugby, and even in America. California has more registered Rugby players then Australia.

Rugby as far as i can see is the winner, There is talks turning the Super 14 into Super 16 with a Japanese and American team, entering into the worlds two largest economies would be massive... Get the US in SANZAR or 6 Nations and it the money doubles. The best would be to "allow" the US win a world cup, or atleast make the final.

I had to laugh at the calls from certain quarters to make the IRB ensure that SBW honours his contract with the Dogs by not allowing him to play rugby. Just like the ARL bent over backwards to help the then amateur game, when league was raping it.

You can't get rid of the salary cap because it'll be a disaster, let's face it Manly would never have survived the post NE days if there was no cap. 

As far as SBW and FUB are concerned I couldn't give a sh!t. If they want to go then see you later. I do have an issue with SBW failing to honour a contract, that has ramifications. However there will always be players willing to fill the void.

The NRL / News Limited / Channel Nine / Telstra / Fox Sports incestuous little back scratching club has got to be broken up before there can be any serious headway made on giving the game proper direction.

By the way, just how do you propose to fund a 100% increase in player salaries for next year ???

sell the game to china, they would love the discipline that is involved. and if you lose, u lose your head. :D

I'm a rugby man and was thoroughly bored during the Bledisloe Cup (watching as a neutral supporter). 

League should continue to showcase what we have which is the game itself. Basically the Northern Hemisphere winters are just revolting and a bit of short term big money seems a big lure but how many Aussies stay over there for many years? 

SBW has been poorly advised and virtually all the money he had available to him from endorsements etc will be gone. My guess is that either Khoder Nasser has been in his ear or he has personal problems that he can't deal with. As much as I hate the Dogs, they have done the right thing by him and he has shown them no loyalty.

Hoe embarrassing for Ch 9 the Weidler interview with that Arab was a complete non-event except that he now says he is not SBW's manager?????????

Matabele link said:
Hoe embarrassing for Ch 9 the Weidler interview with that Arab was a complete non-event except that he now says he is not SBW's manager?????????

and the thought of that nappy head calling MG a dog, should be a good arvo on the Talkin sport tomorrow

Look, Gallop hasn't the wit to deal with other codes, he'll have to go. Expansion is the key.  Adelaide, Perth, South Africa, New Guinea.....the World.  Only four teams in Sydney and move the rest, or else stay as a boutique game on the east coast of Australia.

Sterlo summed it up on the Sunday Footy Show when he said how can you stop a contracted player playing another sport and used the example of what if SBW was going to play water polo.

Other than taking him to court for breach of contract and perhaps getting some compensation dollars out of him there is not much the Bulldogs can do.

Utility Player link said:
Sterlo summed it up on the Sunday Footy Show when he said how can you stop a contracted player playing another sport and used the example of what if SBW was going to play water polo.

Other than taking him to court for breach of contract and perhaps getting some compensation dollars out of him there is not much the Bulldogs can do.

The only thing that the NRL can do is ban him for life from the NRL which I believe they have done.  Australian contract law will not stand up in a french court.

The best thing that SBW can look forward to is the french rugby boys grabbing and kicking his testicles, spitting on him and kicking and stomping him.  That is how they play the game.

will he ever play for the all blacks? well he isn't going to tazke over McCaws or Sioala's position in the loose forwards, he might be a couple of inches too short for second row, so he might have to wait for some fortunate injures

I would have thought that they should be able to sue him for breach of contract and other compensation (like the fact that they couldn't get other good players etc.)

I could have copped it if he walked out at the end of the season, even expected it, but two thirds in, what a joke!
He has walked out on 29 other players (top grade squad) countless fans, the kids he was supposed to help on the footy show, anyone who has helped him develop since he was 16, Sonny who, you are a parasite oxygen thief and I hope you have your arms and legs snapped in the first game of nah nah naaaah nah nah nah naaaah nah heeey heeeeeeey goodbye!

Interesting that Mundine was the man who drove him to the airport. Also interesting that his manager claimed he wasn't his manager (I don't believe it) and the most sickening was the obvious pre-arranged banter Weidler had set up for the 6 O'clock 'interview'.

On the Footy Roast Gallop said it was all business as usual, slow growth, salary cap restrictions, solutions were near impossible to find. Firstly, the IRB is going to spit in his face. Second, this was the same rubbish put up before the Superleague War went ballistic.

If Gallop thinks it is business as usual and slow progress ahead then he is not the right person for the job. I like him, respect him, but he just hasn't grasped how big this is going to be. I stand by my predictions - I think a huge shake-up is coming.

tookey link said:
The best thing that SBW can look forward to is the french rugby boys grabbing and kicking his testicles, spitting on him and kicking and stomping him.  That is how they play the game.

I almost feel sorry for him.

He never did seem like a happy chappy at the Dogs.

If he gets away with this then watch out for roaming French cheque books and more players knicking off to make some illicit Francs (yes, I know its the Euro but its less evocative).

Au revoir Sonny. Au revoir.

The question is though how many blokes are going to want to go and play in a second division rugby comp in France.

I'd suggest the number wouldnt be that great.

I think this is going to have a two-fold effect. You will get some running off, if the NRL and bulldogs throw an injunction on him and earnings, then a lot will be hesitant to break contract.

However this will also bring the loyalists out. THe Menzies and his Ilk will forge stronger ties with League etc

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8