SBW credits Kieran Foran for form surge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

castle eagle

Bencher
Tipping Member
Sonny Bill Williams credits Kieran Foran for surge in form at Rugby League World Cup

Sonny Bill Williams believes he is playing better in the World Cup than he did this season for Sydney Roosters and has praised roommate Kieran Foran for helping him to take his game to another level.

Williams, who spearheaded the Roosters to the minor premiership and grand final double in his first season back after five years of playing union, said the competitiveness of the Manly five-eighth had pushed him to work even harder at training and in games.

"Kieran has given me that hunger that I probably used to have when I was at the Bulldogs," Williams told Fairfax Media. "As I have gotten older I have gone more into the scientific aspect of footy where you need to rest your body or you need to do this or you need to do that but he has taken me back to that old-school mentality where you just go hard.

"I think it's the Manly way – they don't hold back, they just rip in and go hard no matter what."

Williams' work rate in last Saturday's epic 20-18 defeat of England was phenomenal, with the 28-year-old former All Blacks star making 150 metres from 19 runs and a team-high 36 tackles.

He was also outstanding in the defeat of Papua New Guinea earlier in the tournament but lasted just 33 minutes in the quarter-final against Scotland before succumbing to a neck injury.

"I think Kieran is the reason I have been playing such good footy in this tournament," Williams said. "I feel like I have taken it up to another level in this World Cup and instead of just being able to pace myself, I can go to a level and just keep going. With his attitude towards life and his attitude towards footy, me and him have got on like a house on fire.

"We are pretty much in each other's pockets and we don't leave each other's sides but that is because we get the best out of each other in a footy sense."

Foran, 23, who has capained New Zealand twice, has taken on the responsibility of directing the team around on the field so halfback Shaun Johnson can concentrate on his game.

However, he still produced a cross-field bomb which almost secured victory in the 75th minute for the Kiwis after Williams flew high but could not hold the ball.

Johnson then scored with 20 seconds remaining to break England's hearts after George Burgess had been penalised for a high shot on Williams during his third run of the previous set.

Williams said playing with Foran was similar to doing so with Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce, who coincidentally grew up playing alongside Foran and remains close friends with him.

"Kieran is a special talent and I don't think he gets the accolades he deserves. He is probably not the flashiest player but to me he is a bit like Junior, they just give their all. Foz probably wouldn't want me saying this but Pearcey has probaby got a little bit more to him than Foz but Foz won't stop. He won't give an inch and he is as stubborn as I am and I think that has rubbed off on me."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sonny-bill-williams-credits-kieran-foran-for-surge-in-form-at-rugby-league-world-cup-20131127-2y96k.html

RE: SBW credits Kieran Foran for from surge

That's a pretty good wrap.

Hope we keep him for good.

Lol @ Pearce being a better player. Lolololllol

Haha that last comment. No team would take Pearce over foran if given the choice.

"I think it's the Manly way – they don't hold back, they just rip in and go hard no matter what."

Love this comment. A compliment to the whole club really.
Stop saying things like that Mr Acronym. I want to continue disliking you and eye rolling every time your name is mentioned.:rolleyes:

I laughed at the foran/pearce comment, but then thought about it. Foran wins by KO on heart, throws himself into defence, but pearce probably has more over him on skill/ability.

I rate Foran highly, but not as high as some people here.

sbw has just been named the woooorlds best player for 2013.

Player of the Year: Sonny Bill Williams (NZ)
Coach of the Year: Trent Robinson (Aus)
Rookie of the Year: George Burgess (Eng)
Referee of the Year: Ben Cummins

International team of the year

Fullback: Greg Inglis (Aus)
Winger: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (NZ)
Centre: Jamie Lyon (Aus)
Five-Eighth: Danny Brough (Sco)
Halfback: Daly Cherry-Evans (Aus)
Prop: Sam Burgess (Eng)
Hooker: Issac Luke (NZ)
Lock: Corey Parker (Aus)
Second Row: Sonny Bill Williams (NZ)

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sonny-bill-williams-named-player-of-year-20131128-2ybc7.html#ixzz2ltf4av6p

Ridiculous,GI should have got it.:mad:

Cummins is the one closest to the GF foreard pass, and he missed it :mad:

Winger should have been Hall from Leeds.

Still mystified as to the Journos' drooling over that disingenuous SBW :huh: Maybe they'll all come out of the closet a la Webster.

DCE is just like Killer in the making. Talented, smart and calm :angel:

Manly need to secure him for life !

Lord Eagleton said:
He's crediting Kieran Foran for improved form? But what about Allah?

Steve Allah? The Zip Zip Man?

It was all good until "Piercey's got a bit more to him"...SBW-Wanker :dodgy:

I hope Foran doesn't come back through customs holding a Koran.

Has Manly ever had a Muslim footy player?

That Pearce comment was just to keep his clubmate from getting jealous.
Some of the kicks and passes I have seen Foran execute over the last couple of years are way beyond what I've seen from Pearce. Not to mention Foran takes control of his team, whereas Pearce cannot. Pearce is probably still improving, but... he needs to.

bones said:
Mal Cochrane said:
I rate Foran highly, but not as high as some people here.

Who are the people here who are better than Foz? We should sign them up now.

you bones!

actually, i wouldn't swap him. I just think he's not in the game as much as I'd like to see him. Not saying he goes missing, so to speak.

I've rolled my eyes many times this year when people gave Foran a 3-2-1 vote compared to other players performances, but that's footy, everyone has an opinion.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8