SBW and Kieran Foran under investigation for mixing pills and drinks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
SONNY Bill Williams and Kieran Foran have been identified internally as two of several New Zealand players under investigation for allegedly taking sleeping pills and energy drinks at the 2013 Rugby League World Cup.

Sources within the team have said the experienced duo were two of the players singled out at a players-only meeting after the quarter-final against Scotland.

There were at least five Kiwi players involved across the tournament and, in the meeting before the semi-final, some were “named and shamed’’ over use of sleeping pills and energy drinks and told it must stop.

New Zealand’s Herald on Sunday is still confirming the identity of others.

Mixing sleeping pills with energy drinks is not illegal; the combination of the stimulant of the energy drinks and the sleeping pills can produce a sensation not unlike recreational drugs but does not fall foul of drug laws.

The Herald on Sunday reported last month that during the World Cup there were concerns about some individuals, with players confronted because of their appearance and asked if they had been drinking - some players looked “dozy and half asleep” at the wrong time of the day.

Williams and Foran, who both played in the 2013 NRL Grand Final, were room-mates for part of the World Cup.

They have been mainstays of the Kiwis - Williams was clearly the best player in the semi-final. Both are model trainers and Foran was outstanding when given the captain’s armband at short notice in last year’s Anzac Test.

The circumstances of the tour are part of an ongoing review by the New Zealand Rugby League.

NZRL CEO Phil Holden, when asked about the identity of the players, said: “We are not going to be confirming or naming players. There is nothing to be gained and we can’t. I have made it very clear that this is not a linear issue; it is very complex, privacy laws are involved, employment laws and contractual obligations between us, the players and the organisation.’’

Williams’ manager Khoder Nasser and Kieran Foran did not respond to interview requests.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/cup-scandal-erupts-sonny-bill-williams-and-kieran-foran-under-investigation-for-mixing-pills-and-drinks/story-fni3fbgz-1226821522766

"NZRL CEO Phil Holden, when asked about the identity of the players, said: “We are not going to be confirming or naming players. There is nothing to be gained and we can’t."
Ok, so it's hearsay. Another unconfirmed report from the DT.

The media will make a storm about it but even if it happened there is nothing illegal that has happened here. It's probably not even against team rules.

That's not me condoning it and it probably isn't a good thing for anyone anywhere to be doing, if they did it at all, but while the media will get hysterical and probably the reactive league admin will say or do something, try to keep perspective.

I hope it ends here. I don't want Kieran led any more astray than he obviously already has been by that dopey SBW and his pack of weirdo, brainwashing mates and advisors.

Mixing sleeping tablets and energy drinks is the silliest thing I've ever heard of. Ridiculous!

Anyway, I'm off to take a NoDoz and a cup of warm Horlicks. Just to relax after reading this disturbing article you understand. ;)

And where's the surprise here ? Elite sportsmen and women are doing all sorts of things to gain an edge. If it isn't illegal then why is it even news worthy.

Its David Smiths fault.

He is the bastard that has created an information drought within this sport & its media stakeholders and thus definitively caused the DT to write unsubstantiated dribble like this in exasperation & desperation.

There should be an investigation into this & then hang him.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
They have been mainstays of the Kiwis - Williams was clearly the best player in the semi-final. Both are model trainers and Foran was outstanding when given the captain’s armband at short notice in last year’s Anzac Test.

and the problem is...???....Stillnox and Red Bull as the new pre-game drink.:p

How many of you folks have travelled overseas?

If you have you'd know 'jet lag' is a horrible thing. You can't sleep when you are supposed to and you can't stay awake when you should.

I often go overseas and it takes me about a month to acclimatise to the time difference.

I was in LA last and couldn't get to sleep at 3am local time that was around 6pm Sydney time even though I'd been travelling for around 15 hours through airports customs etc.

I'd have used a sleeping pill if I had one on me so I couldn't judge these guys too heavily for the above.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6