Saturday's Fin review

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
It's the sheer chutzpah of generation Y that often leaves their elders speechless.  That, and their unflinching confidence in their own abilities.

James is an affable lawyer in his mid-40s who runs his own successful practice in Sydney.  He's generally at ease with the world but starts to seethe when discussing the attitude to work held by his own younger employees, those still in their 20s. 

"They would have been here for about two hours before they start asking for a promotion.  Yet they require spoon-feeding to complete the simplest task.  If you try to suggest they might show a bit more initiative, they look you in the eye and say 'well it's your fault, you should be managing me better'."

This is the type of anecdote that divides the working population.  Those born before 1980 will chortle and match it with their own tale of a younng colleague who speaks, often, about becoming a managing director and refuses to do the photocopying in the meantime. 

Those who fall into the generation Y bracket - roughly aged between 14 and 28 - will grit their teeth and rage against the stereotypes.

Financial Review 30.8.08

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

ALL:
They won't!

No I am not paid enough to be classed as a bureaucrat, I am still at pleb levels.

If I was young I wouldn't put up with the half-baked bs that some corporate and employers go on about. To me they have lost the plot in their efforts in amassing fortunes in a greed fuelled frenzy. There is no reason to show loyalty and that has been the case for at least 15 years. The good news is that gen Y has seen the rubbish and are not putting up with it. Good on them.

all this Gen Y hoopla is such a massive generalisation!

i'm a gen y'er and reasonably sucessful career wise.. i do expect promotions/reward and what not, but thats because I work my butt off and i'm continually exceeding my KPI's, not "just because"! I know a lot of other young people in my situation, and they all work their butt off too! Hearing people bang on about "lazy gen y's" is sooooo annoying!

i really think that the vast majority of gen y'ers do work hard! we have no choice really.. house/rent/food prices are higher than ever!

I am the youngest employee in my region in the company ANZSEA and am the hardest worker, continuously topping the stats and meeting targets. I am at work before everyone else starts, including the bosses and here until long after they leave.

I am one of 3 people in the company who received 100% of their MBO this year and that is over many of the people who are recognised as performers.

As for promotion I couldn't give a rats, I get paid extremely well, work from home and am very good at my job so am in a great place to coast right now. Maybe one day I will take up a higher role internally as I would love to stay in this education space, otherwise well, I will coast as long as I can

Dan link said:
I am the youngest employee in my region in the company ANZSEA and am the hardest worker, continuously topping the stats and meeting targets. I am at work before everyone else starts, including the bosses and here until long after they leave.

I am one of 3 people in the company who received 100% of their MBO this year and that is over many of the people who are recognised as performers.

As for promotion I couldn't give a rats, I get paid extremely well, work from home and am very good at my job so am in a great place to coast right now. Maybe one day I will take up a higher role internally as I would love to stay in this education space, otherwise well, I will coast as long as I can

Of course you are at work before everyone else starts, you work at home on your own.  Also no more complaining about having no money since you are extremely well paid :)

Garts link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=178285.msg195458#msg195458 date=1220503713]

Of course you are at work before everyone else starts, you work at home on your own.  Also no more complaining about having no money since you are extremely well paid :)
[/quote]

Thats what I was thinking Garts!! How much was your house Dan, $2m??

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6