Sam Williams expects fair fight

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
WHEN Sam Williams fronted for the first day of pre-season training with Canberra on Monday he was resigned to the fact that for the next four months he faces nothing but questions about new recruit Aidan Sezer.

Jostling for a spot with Sezer and Blake Austin in the halves next season, Williams starts as the underdog despite being the incumbent to the No.7 jersey.

Sezer signed a three-year-deal with the Raiders worth close to $500,000-a-year in April, while Austin extended his current contract until the end of 2018 two months ago.

This makes Williams the odd man out.

The halfback trusts that by impressing Ricky Stuart with his attitude and work ethic during the pre-season, he can earn a place in the 17.

“We’re really lucky we’ve signed Aidan and (Blake Austin) had a great year as well,” Williams said.

“It really puts the pressure on everyone to perform. We came here early to pre-season to try and prove ourselves and why we should be in the team.

“I’m excited about the opportunity to try and challenge myself and learn about Aidan and his game and try and push each other.”

Off contract at the end of 2016, the 24-year-old is coming off his best season yet.

In his 16 games for the Green Machine, since returning to the nation’s capital following a failed stint with St George Illawarra which saw him make a mid-season switch to Catalans, Williams formed quite the combination alongside Austin.

A former Country Origin representative, Williams played a hand in 19 tries and averaged 307 kicking metres.

Sezer averaged seven less kicking metres and set up six less tries than Williams.

However in his 18 games for the Gold Coast last season, Sezer hauled 115 points, 102 of those came off his left boot.

While Jarrod Croker is expected to continue as the Raiders’ first choice goal kicker, Sezer’s boot will still be an asset for the team.

“The kicking game these days — the way rugby league’s played — is so vital,” Williams said.

“Blake and I are right footers so it adds a different dynamic to our kicking game.

“He’s got a really long left boot and I’m sure that’ll come into play a bit too.”

While the additions of Jeff Lima and Elliot Whitehead provide more size, Adam Clydsdale brings cover to the hooking role.

It’s a vast contrast in recruitment compared to last season where coach Stuart introduced an entirely new spine.

With Josh Hodgson, Jack Wighton, Williams and Austin the better for a full season under their belts, Williams doesn’t believe the addition of Sezer will be too difficult for the team to adjust to.

In fact, Williams said he’s confident the former Titan will be well adjusted to his new teammates thanks to the early return date to training.

But what of his battle with Sezer?

It seems like Williams is taking it all in his stride.

“We’ve got another few months of these questions but that’s the way it is,” he said. “We’re lucky to have him here and it’s good for the club.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...an-sezer-arrival/story-e6frf3qc-1227582839207

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2