Salary cap squeeze to hit Manly at end of 2012

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Craigm said:
Earnie the Eagle said:
Would someone be kind enough to explain backloading, thanks,

Player wants $300k per year for 3 years.

We only have $100k avail in our cap for this year, but $350k avail in year 2 and heaps in year 3.

So we can't pay player $300k each year because of the cap, but we cab still get him the equivalent $900k over 3 years by backloading his contract, so he gets the following

Year 1 - $100k
Year 2 - $350k
Year 3 - $450k

Total equals $900k over 3 years.

It is basically a legal way to rort the salary cap which I am amazed the NRL still hasn't shut down.

Thanks mate, hope it works in our favour.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Moondog said:
Earnie the Eagle said:
Would someone be kind enough to explain backloading, thanks,
In financial terms, to backload is to defer payment until the end of a budget period or the end of a contract.

Player signs a $1,200,000 x 5 years deal

year 1 $150,000
year 2 $150,000
year 3 $200,000
year 4 $250,000
year 5 $450,000
Thanks BE.

All this was part of the Ha$ler plan to kill the club. It's been three years in the making.

Our success was eventually going to catch up with us.

And unfortunately in this day and age of the salary cap we'll lose players. Hopefully they'll have the dignity to tell Manly supporters the truth as opposed to saying they're going to stay only for us to read a week later that they've signed with another NRL club.

Obviously would rather keep all of them, especially Ballin and the juniors, but no use worrying about it now, lets see how the season and the IC and TV deal turns out first. Good to see who's off contract though, and I note they seem to have forgotten about Galuvao (although I'll be shocked if he doesn't retire after the end of the season).

Ballin is a very good club player and apart from Snakes legs the weakness of our spine, he offers passing in attack and everything in defense,i think he is highly overrated on here

I want him to occasionally dart and kick, he seldom does anything in attack ...even that filthy forward passing merkin from souths does more....he attempts to be dynamic

Ballin plays like Rodney who was great for us.....the difference is Rodney passed about 3 times during his time at manly.....Ballin has done the opposite,you could count his runs/kicks with your digits.....

/rant

Perhaps it was a Des order,i remember Ballin doing more earlier on

The Eagle said:
Ballin is a very good club player and apart from Snakes legs the weakness of our spine, he offers passing in attack and everything in defense,i think he is highly overrated on here

I want him to occasionally dart and kick, he seldom does anything in attack ...even that filthy forward passing merkin from souths does more....he attempts to be dynamic

Ballin plays like Rodney who was great for us.....the difference is Rodney passed about 3 times during his time at manly.....Ballin has done the opposite,you could count his runs/kicks with your digits.....

/rant

Perhaps it was a Des order,i remember Ballin doing more earlier on

Watch 'the' Chad Randall in the ESL and plays similar to Cam Smith attacking wise and is a workaholic in defence. Would've been interesting had we kept him.

Seen many games where he basically carries the London team hopefully not this year with Dorn and Gower there

" All this was part of the Ha$ler plan to kill the club. It's been three years in the making." ....surely you jest Bob ? otherwise it sounds like you've started playing the bong-oes ??

Now will everyone stop the posts speculating how much of the cap we have left? With backloading it shows we have nfi over how much a player is getting paid

I wouldn't swap Ballin for any hooker, including the great Cameron Smith.

In regards to the salary cap, with Will Hopoate, Michael Robinson & Shane Rodney gone & Brent Kite, Jamie Lyon, Joe Galuvao & Jason King at the end of their career's there should be room to keep Foran & Cherry-Evans. There should also be a increase in the salary cap due to the new TV Contract Deal coming for the NRL along with the Independant Commission.

Manly To Win! said:
Obviously would rather keep all of them, especially Ballin and the juniors, but no use worrying about it now, lets see how the season and the IC and TV deal turns out first. Good to see who's off contract though, and I note they seem to have forgotten about Galuvao (although I'll be shocked if he doesn't retire after the end of the season).

the last thing Crusher did before he left was sign Joe for 2 years.

the mauler said:
Manly can just backload the guys that are re-signing. Pretty simple way of getting around that problem I would've thought.

That's a fairly simplistic view. If we just keep backloading all contracts every year will become a huge payout year. A sure way of breaking the cap.

It is a real juggling act trying to stay within the cap and keep the players we want. I don't envy the guy that has to do this.

Cam Smith? Yes please but train him out of pulling and twisting arms, there is a reason he is the australian and qld captain, he IS that good

If there was cap room only though

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
Manly To Win! said:

So Joe is signed until the end of 2013?

Aetna said:
ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
Manly To Win! said:

So Joe is signed until the end of 2013?

Yes, so I believe

As long as we can hold on to our halves Foran & DCE , you can build a team around that nearly ..
with all the older players leaving we should be able to compete with other clubs..

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Since when was Crusher in charge of signing? He was a talent scout not CEO.

But Crusher was the only person who had a pen.

I hope he didn't take it to Belmore.

jjai said:
As long as we can hold on to our halves Foran & DCE , you can build a team around that nearly ..
with all the older players leaving we should be able to compete with other clubs..

The most affordable way to that and beat the other clubs is to upgrade their existing contracts which means increasing their 2012 playing fee. The club has to have room under its 2012 cap with Hoppa and Rodney leaving.

Therefore by offering this amount to the halves it reduces the amount the club has to offer the pair in 2013-2015. But 3 months into the new season this hasnt happened.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4