1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salary cap solution

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Utility Player, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    I was thinking about the Storm fiasco with players signing 2 contracts etc and was wondering if this could be averted in the future.

Could it not be solved by the NRL simply sending out a stat dec to a player when his contract is registed with them asking the player to sign that he is getting such and such an amount for each year of his contract.

So if Smith had thought nothing of signing both a 400k & a 200k contract he might have had a few concerns when he was asked to confirm that he was only getting 400k per season. 

2. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,746 / 258
    Not a bad idea and simple to implement...but you know what...I bet NONE of them agree to it.

Just imagine what the Brisbane players would be on outside of their contracts...fair dinkum they are in every advertisment known to man up here.

I bet anything they are way above the cap as well, just far far better organised in the way they do it!!

3. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    Brisbane players get stuff outside the cap from the thouroughbreds who are not club sponsors as i am aware.

The thoroughbreds do however informaly get benefits from this that is not available to the average fan i would think, the same way our eagles angles do (but they dont pay players)

4. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,746 / 258
    Yes Fluffy, they probably don't pay the players but I bet there's some 'stuff' that gets to them somehow.

5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,115 / 287
    I'm a thoroughbred...just ask Jas.....and before anyone suggests so, I'm NOT a Shetland Pony !

6. CliffyIsGod

CliffyIsGod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=terfa-ko93c

7. eagle-rock08

eagle-rock08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Maybe we should get them to lodge their tax returns with the NRL (along with their spouses) each year.

8. ERNIE FOR NO7

ERNIE FOR NO7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 1
    This is what has beeing proposed by the NRL. Easy for the up front playing fee, however a lot of contracs have incentive clauses, indexing etc Most players woudn't know what their exact entitlements were.

9. Jerry1

Jerry1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,470 / 80
    This is what has beeing proposed by the NRL. Easy for the up front playing fee, however a lot of contracs have incentive clauses, indexing etc Most players woudn't know what their exact entitlements were.
    [/quote]
    Most players have a manager who does. Those who don't should have an accountant. Can't be many of them who do their tax online!