Salary cap problems

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
swoop said:
Priority is Hoppa, Buhrer and Oldfield, surely with the cap increase we should be able to retain these three.

And play Hoppa and Oldfield where? We would still have Robbo, wouldn't we?

We won't be 'letting' anybody go, im sure we will do everything we can to keep hoppa, but there will be other doing everything they can to steal him as well.

If we lost both of kite and galuvao, 1 thing that would possibly be a concern is losing the influence that those 2 have over a lot of the young fellas, they as valuable behind the scenes as they are on the park

Just get rid of the salary cap and then it is up to the club to find the money to pay them. Thats how the rest of the world works. Let market forces determine how much the player gets paid and let's hope that our club management has the capacity to pay to dollar when required.

I've heard that Joe has a fantastic rapport with the younger guys. Keep him as he's not only going very well and is on low dollars, but is a good influence on the younger brigade.

Enjoy watching your comp consisting of the broncos, knights, roosters and bulldogs

silvertail said:
Just get rid of the salary cap and then it is up to the club to find the money to pay them. Thats how the rest of the world works. Let market forces determine how much the player gets paid and let's hope that our club management has the capacity to pay to dollar when required.

DSM5 said:
I've heard that Joe has a fantastic rapport with the younger guys. Keep him as he's not only going very well and is on low dollars, but is a good influence on the younger brigade.

I don't know if things have changed due to his good form this year but I'm pretty sure Joe was going to retire at the end of this season. Remember he wanted to hang the boots up initially and it took some convincing from Crusher to get him out here. He travels from Penrith everyday for training which must be tiresome.

the cap is basically irrelevant if the money isnt there to start with.our crowds get worse all the time and our sponsorship is ordinary.if the increased grant comes with a similar increase in the cap then all it does is inflate payments to players and does not help us at all.it should be a priority of gallop to make the grant equal the cap before raising the cap again-that way clubs like us and the sharks can be more competitive re chasing players as our revenues outside the grant continue to stagnate.

Ryan said:
Jerry1 said:
Performance based contracts are the way to go. Can't keep paying players to sit on Th sideline year after year. I'd rather have 24 weeks of hoppa than 6 weeks of snake. I know this will stir a lot of you up but how long can you continue to pay that much of your cap for someone to watch his mates play.

Doesn't stir me up. It's perfect. How much cap space does Brett Stewart, David Williams & Shane Rodney soak up? Surely that's funds that could be used more appropriately.

Lets gets some value out of our cap !!

According to some, we don't have funds to spend to the full limit anyway, so what we CAN spend, we have to be very clinical and smart about.

Look, it's not like we can't win without these guys. Brett has played around 5 games in three years. Rodney has probably added the most value since 2009, but again, goooorn.

THIS, is what will cripple us going forward, and we are already starting to lose juniors to pay these guys sitting in the stands. I hope the club make them buy season tickets (just kidding)

What juniors have we lost ?

Ryan still laments the departure of over-rated JWH and his mate to the Rorters who hasn't played first grade yet. We haven't lost any player who Des rates. And that's why we've made the eight for so many years.

surely hugh jackmam can come in and help out.. sure he is not tinkler rich, but id imagine he is close on rusty rich.

seems like a good guy and a mad keen supporter.

yep, kinda joking, but it would be nice to have someone line the coffers!

he can use his iced tea stupid dance ad money.

Does anyone actually have inside knowledge that we can't afford to spend up to the cap, or is this just over the top worrying? Our side is pretty good, and we have enough quality to suggest that we are spending the cap.

mcatt said:
Does anyone actually have inside knowledge that we can't afford to spend up to the cap, or is this just over the top worrying? Our side is pretty good, and we have enough quality to suggest that we are spending the cap.

There has been no evidence put forward at all. It is the sky is falling brigade trying to set the rumour mill alight, again.

with the exception of cronulla, we would be in the worst financial state of any club.doesnt mean we are bankrupt,but we are struggling.you dont need genius to work it out.we basically folded due to to lack of coin in 2002,crowds are falling rapidly and what do you think max and penn were fighting over.the current state is an issue and we may be spending at or close to the cap-the real issue lies ahead with the slow progression to private ownership and the ability to pay players any amount with the right corporate backing.local suburban clubs will have an even tougher fight.This is not having a go at our club,just a comment that it will be virtually impossible to compete in the player market going forward with a small local constituency.the huge sums thrown at bennet outside the cap are a good indication of where the future is heading.only 4 or 5 clubs could have engaged in that little auction.the next brisbane side will be run by the ex thoroughbreds with massive corporate support,much of which will be non sponsor money aimed at leveraging off the player himself,not his club identity in a 2 million population 2 team town. that is the way of the future and great young juniors will be at the mercy of this stuff.professional sport will naturally head this way,it is just a timing thing.i don't like it but the landscape in 10 years will be a very different beast.we will survive but it will be tough.

DSM5 said:
Can't keep everyone, but there again, the brand is an attractive one and the cap will rise. My guess is we will keep all that have a desire to play with the club and the others who want to go, then they can go. Look at Hodkinson. Down hill for him. The speculation re Hoppa. He's only 18 and Brett's knees won't last forever. His old man once said that his big regret in football was leaving Manly. Says it all really.
well the dogs can,why cant we,I dont care who they are letting go,or who is leaving,they just keep buying every year ,forgot,they have a smorgasbord salary cap,all you can buy and come back for more

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2