Salary cap problems \ Graham Lowe

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
so the official line in releasing Bailey was salary cap contraints
we have released Farrar, Perry and Bailey and only signed Harrison from the Dogs
also lost Tasi from the 20s
so how much of the cap do we have left ? if any

Is Lowe doing a good job  ?

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
so the official line in releasing Bailey was salary cap contraints
we have released Farrar, Perry and Bailey and only signed Harrison from the Dogs
also lost Tasi from the 20s
so how much of the cap do we have left ? if any

Is Lowe doing a good job  ?
If this is true I imagine some players must have had significant upgrades to their contracts.

Why does Lowe need to go if he's just managing the Cap so we don't do a "Melbourne Storm"??

There are still many players here from the "Mayer Days" many of whom may be on back end deals, so everything that is happening cannot be ALL his fault.....so EA....WHY does Lowe have to go?

Get a grip folks. The quote from the article is that due to cap restraints the club can't offer Bailey a deal beyond his current deal which runs out next year. This is a nicer way of saying that after 2011 manly would not be offering Bailey a deal equivalent to the harlequins offer. The cap is an excuse in this case.

I'm trying to look at this situation in a positive light by having a little faith in Des and the club. I'm hoping it's just a rebuilding phase rather than a financial concern.
We're all on here because we love this club...lets just see how it pans out, maybe some exciting times ahead.

I've said this before but my suspicion is that Manly may have been bending the salary cap rules and when the storm got busted I think the club had to shed players. We have had almost a full team of internationals and origin players in the team so it doesn't surprise me that we are suffering cap restraints.

Me to ManlyBorn I am hoping it is the start of another 5 year plan - getting rid of some dead wood and rebuilding.

A new sponsor pumping in approx $1 mill a yera would be nice however

swoop link said:
I've said this before but my suspicion is that Manly may have been bending the salary cap rules and when the storm got busted I think the club had to shed players. We have had almost a full team of internationals and origin players in the team so it doesn't surprise me that we are suffering cap restraints.

I heard that in 2010 there was salary cap relief due to Brett & Wolfman being out for the season with injuries.  Now they are back I guess the sums need re-arrangement.

The Wheel link said:
Me to ManlyBorn I am hoping it is the start of another 5 year plan - getting rid of some dead wood and rebuilding.

Agreed Wheel and a hefty sponsorship would certainly be the icing on the cake... also with a few of the younger blokes having tasted first grade last year I think there's much to look forward to.

manlyborn link said:
[quote author=The Wheel link=topic=185811.msg303378#msg303378 date=1287613091]

Agreed Wheel and a hefty sponsorship would certainly be the icing on the cake... also with a few of the younger blokes having tasted first grade last year I think there's much to look forward to.

[/quote]

OH I HOPE SO!! :D
I'm so excited about our future- We have so much potential!!!
I just want to see some action! (Pen to paper & a new sponsor)

Bailey was already contracted for next year, we are releasing him early. Hence he was not pushing us over the cap, but was seen as surplus to requirements and releasing him allows us some room under the cap. We were never going to offer him a contract for 2012 so we let him go now, giving us by some reports an extra $250 to spend.

That room lets us enter the market for new players or sign juniors to long deals, two things that most people on here have been calling for.

Rather then sack Lowe we should commend him. IMHO sacking a man for getting rid of Bailey would have to be the worst kind of betrayal ever.

My bet is that the coach and management, including the CEO allocate how much cap they can spend on any given position, and found bailey didn't fit that structure anymore, so wanted to free up his wage to allocate to another position, ie. Halfback.

Spot on Rusty.

If Manly told bailey they are not able to sign him after 2011 he has done the right thing for himself and got a good deal.

In the end if will free up space for 2012 that will allow us to sign the young hoppa, whare etc. Dont forget we have resigned Matai and Foran and we have international backline and a very strong forward pack who would be on great money.

Thats footy

The key to the salary cap is no longer finding bargain players and paying people 'unders' to fit within the cap - it's sourcing outside sponsors and getting 3rd party agreements (on which there is essentially no limit if done right).

But we are a long way off maximizing our cap through 3rd party deals if we don't even have a major sponsor. Find some sponsors and people willing to invest in the club (or particular players) and do things the sane way the smart clubs are doing them (Brisbane, bulldogs).

It's that simple.

In what universe do the public reasons for an action automatically equate to the private ones?

The key to the salary cap is the back ended or front loaded deals. It gives you a 1 or 2 year window where you have a really strong squad and then 1 or 2 where you dont.

Lets be honest, next years forward pack compared to our premiership winning forward pack is not in the same league. Neither are our halves. Our backs are on par, cos there generally the same, except for Steven Bell.

We were probably able to pay Stewart and Wolfman a lil extra this year. Next year will probably see players like foran and matai (who may not yet have their contracts registered as we are simply waiting to see how much we can pay them next year in what would be a building year) get front loaded contracts so that there on peanuts in the next few years when we have a squad ready to make a play at the premiership.

It just makes a lot of sense and allows you to have 1 or 2 more higher paid players in your squad for a season or 2 before you then go back into a period where youre "building" and have to shed a few of your older higher paid players.

Hopefully DCE works out. If not, the next few years will see us make a play at a marque half and prop or 2. Our backrow and backline is comparable to the best in the comp. And lets face it, the rotation of King, Kite, Rose and Joe, Cross is nothing on King, Kite, Perry, Bryant and Hall.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4