Sacked refs to take legal action

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Guess they want the decision referred to the third umpire.

Bet they want it to give the correct decision.

....Just a week after the dismissal of coaches Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper, senior refs Steve Lyons and Tony De Las Heras were marched out the door and told their services were no longer required.

A furious Lyons last night said he would take legal action.

"They just called me in and gave me no reason other than saying they were going with younger blokes," Lyons, 42, said.

He believes he has an unfair dismissal and age discrimination case against the NRL.

read more at this crap paper's website:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-to-face-legal-action-after-sacking-two-senior-referees/story-e6frexnr-1226511059903

I'd dump the whole lot and start again. None of them are worth a pinch of ****.

If they were those two refs in the ranks that thought Harrigan was competent, maybe they thought that was proof enough they weren't fit for a job requiring sound judgement.

If the NRL told these blokes they were being sacked for being "too old" then
1. The NRL are stupid and should know age is no barrier to performance nor a reason for termination, and
2. These guys have a legitimate claim for unfair dismissal.

Most likely this is just 'spin' from the two refs, and age was no given as the reason for their sacking.

Well...you can't sack someone for no reason. Obviously we were not in the room for the meeting, so we will, for the time being, have to take Lyons' word for it. (That's going to be hard I know, given his rep)

If he really was told nothing other than he was sacked due to the fact the NRL are going with younger blokes, then he has a case to present.

Why would the powers that be perform such a shoddy act. I'm not upset at their sacking, but you would have thought that the "Brains Trust" at NRL HQ would have handled things with a lot more professionalism than that.

I actually know Steve Lyons. Nice guy, northern beaches resident and Manly supporter. He was always very committed to the training / refeering and has been that way for as long as I can remember.

Young child / wife to support.

Very bad form this - to dismiss someone in this fashion.

If age and fitness is a performance marker then what is stopping them being video referees?

Surely Sean Hampstead is due to be retired. He's useless.

Shayne hayne is the oldest referee and Archer is close behind him. Whats happening with them?

lS3Su.jpg

Sacked?

Me?

Let's go to the video ref shall we!!!!!!

1947 said:
I actually know Steve Lyons. Nice guy, northern beaches resident and Manly supporter. He was always very committed to the training / refeering and has been that way for as long as I can remember.

Young child / wife to support.

Very bad form this - to dismiss someone in this fashion.

There's our answer...

manlyfan76 said:
Word is they are being replaced with a couple of planks of wood.

Im rebuilding my front deck and about to build the new back deck. I need all the planks of wood I can get.

Steve Lyons is one of the better refs. Every right to make an unfair dismissal claim, requesting reinstatement if the NRL has not provided a valid reason to terminate his employment.

Stevo said:
If age and fitness is a performance marker then what is stopping them being video referees?
I don't think fitness was mentioned in the article? If fitness wasn't the reason for the sacking, then that is a failing on the part of the Commission. If it was (which is far more likely), then at least it shows that they are thorough.

As for the refs, they are professional athletes themselves in so far as they have to run around at an acceptable speed in order to do their job. As such, they may be sacked if their performance is deemed less than satisfactory by those in management who make such decisions. Tough.

I'm assuming age and fitness go hand in hand. Either way, if its an age issue, there are older referees than Lyons and De las Heras. If Fitness is the issue then why cant they be video referees?

And how do you judge the fitness of a referee? I would say that Lyons and De Las Heras were two of the better referees this year. Surely if their performances are better than that of their peers then that indicates fitness probably isn't a problem.

Stevo said:
I'm assuming age and fitness go hand in hand. Either way, if its an age issue, there are older referees than Lyons and De las Heras. If Fitness is the issue then why cant they be video referees?

And how do you judge the fitness of a referee? I would say that Lyons and De Las Heras were two of the better referees this year. Surely if their performances are better than that of their peers then that indicates fitness probably isn't a problem.

They were sacked for making all the other refs look bad. You can't have a couple of good refs, and the rest hopeless. This solves the problem. Now they are all as terrible as each other.

globaleagle said:
lS3Su.jpg

Sacked?

Me?

Let's go to the video ref shall we!!!!!!

Very good Mr Global Moose, well played!

Video ref has come back with refs call....

Was he actually sacked ?

Not sure how it works, but I would imagine that the refs would be on a year to year contract rather than being signed for 3 etc

If that is the case, it is more a case of his contract not being renewed rather than sacked and he wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on would he ?

He'd have no leg to stand on. Surely he would know what has happened though. I know with the businesses I own, you can't dismiss anyone until you run the process. That being, 3 verbal warnings and 3 written warnings signed by both manager and employee. Unless all regarding the same problem. Imagine the amount of time a refs boss would spend typing letters on a Monday morning after some of the calls made this year.

For him to state he thinks he has an unfair dismissal case would make you think he was told to leave on the spot.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4