Sack him immediately, Bring in Tooves

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'd prefer him to go, too - not out of malice, but if he doesn't want to be at Manly for the long-term, there's no reason to keep him around. We all know the club is struggling financially, and I was hoping a renewed commitment from Des would give us a little stability, not to mention show the rest of the NRL that money isn't everything. But apparently it is.

This is rubbish. The Dragons didn't lose this year because Bennett was leaving. It was because they had no ticker.

A club can maturely manage a transition, especially if the new one is known and works well with the previous one. Des will be 100% committed to the team and I have no doubts that it could work. It gives the club time to search and prepare for the new coach. Des has already said "Let's go Back-to-Back" and he will be relenting in his pursuit of this.

Who knows, the players might try and do it for Des. It will be 10 years. I would hate to see Des coach anyone else but there is nothing worse than a coach who stays on too long!

What needs to be dealt with is the backstabbing and undermining of influences in the club that make the coaching staff unhappy with things. The right Leagues club board, football club board and chair and right MWSE board needs to be put together that will work effectively with the CEO, the coach, the recruitment team etc to move the club forward. My inkling is that a few personalities in the current set-up need to be farewelled!!!!

Canteen Worker said:
This is rubbish. The Dragons didn't lose this year because Bennett was leaving. It was because they had no ticker.

A club can maturely manage a transition, especially if the new one is known and works well with the previous one. Des will be 100% committed to the team and I have no doubts that it could work. It gives the club time to search and prepare for the new coach. Des has already said "Let's go Back-to-Back" and he will be relenting in his pursuit of this.

Who knows, the players might try and do it for Des. It will be 10 years. I would hate to see Des coach anyone else but there is nothing worse than a coach who stays on too long!

What needs to be dealt with is the backstabbing and undermining of influences in the club that make the coaching staff unhappy with things. The right Leagues club board, football club board and chair and right MWSE board needs to be put together that will work effectively with the CEO, the coach, the recruitment team etc to move the club forward. My inkling is that a few personalities in the current set-up need to be farewelled!!!!
Coaching transitions don't work just ask Collingwood and as for the do it for Des no thanks Des has been good for this club but the club has been good for him and the fact is this if he didn't have a contract for next year he would be going so he should be shown the door. Time for the club to start standing up for ourselves

The Dragons lost because they signed a loser in Gasnier and had to let Jeremy Smith, Neville Costigan and Saffy go, and along with them went the "go forward" and only bit of heart in timid pack.

I think I would have cut my losses ..tell Bulldogs u can buy his contract out for next yr .. use the money to sure up Toovs and SUPPORT staff .. get ppl like Menzies back and in a role.

I think u need to renew yrself .. this is a good opportunity to reward those that r there now, want to stay and can make a major force next yr.

We do have a great side with quality back up!!!

the fake fortynil said:
What's this fake business, I think you'll find I grabbed the Fortynil tag name long before anyone else, I even named a racehorse Fortynil, my call sign on Talkinsport has been Fortynil since Oct 4th 2008 so it might be you who has stolen my name and jumped in here before I had a chance!

Oh really? Wow. You used that name 1 day before the 2008 grand final :p

Canteen Worker said:

They did win 11 out of their first 12 or something didn't they? I think its more than a coincidence they went off the rails when all the rumours started. They could have kept it going, but IMO they lacked the necessary leadership in the playing group to keep things together.

There is no guarantee Des staying or going will make our season next year better or worse. That being said, its unchartered waters for a coach to be known to be changing clubs this far out from doing so. How it would play out is all guesswork, but my view is that I'd like to see Toovs take over. As a coach you must always be planning for the future and Des will be making some decisions next year which will be clouding his judgement in those regards.

fortynil said:
the fake fortynil said:
What's this fake business, I think you'll find I grabbed the Fortynil tag name long before anyone else, I even named a racehorse Fortynil, my call sign on Talkinsport has been Fortynil since Oct 4th 2008 so it might be you who has stolen my name and jumped in here before I had a chance!

Why doesn't one of you just change your name to twentysixten?

you ppl are off topic.

Are we there, in the NRL, to make up the numbers ?
If Des has signed with Dogs, then to keep the belief, loyalty and enthusiams of the senior players, it makes sense to replace him immediately.
How would he be able to tell the Snr players to "pull their fingers out" ? They'd just laugh in some cynical manner. NO , this is not healthy.

Replace him with
Beaver AND Tooves AND Cliffy. (or any subset) !! if the want to that is:idea:

MadMarcus said:
fortynil said:
the fake fortynil said:

Why doesn't one of you just change your name to twentysixten?

because we won twentyfourten :p

All those pointing to the demise of the Dragons as the reason to sack Des now are forgetting: They only got beaten in Golden Point. With an ounce of luck they would have been playing us for a spot in the GF.

Illawarra put in for Bennett in the last few matches, so that example is spurious.

we need something .. he either goes or steps down as assistant & hand reins over to toovey,
If Mal Reilly puts his hand up i would be content with that ,he is one coach who would be a good choice i heard his name mentioned before.
He is defence orientated which is similar to Des ..

If he announces his defection his position becomes untenable. He would need to go.

Tooves is chomping at the bit.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4