• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Matai should have been released last year. The club was not run properly and dumb decsions were being made. Hence the clean out required this year.

Can't argue with this. As much as I know we all love Skivy and what he has achieved at Manly, I think this year saw the start of his decline. He was great in 2014, but 2015 saw him fall well below the form that had many considering him the NRL's best performed centre. And his body is definitely showing the wear and tear of what he's put it through. Its rare not to see him clutching his neck or shoulders during games. And then there are his shoulders which are so heavily taped that he has difficulty in lifting his arms past horizontal.

Skivy has been great for us and I've loved watching him in the maroon and white for the past decade. But I can't shake the feeling that his time is just about done.

I still believe that had we let Skivy go to the Warriors in 2014, someone like Gutho who had a good 10 or so years of first grade ahead of him, would still be here.

The Clubs owners want success
That's why they have been ruthless
They don't appear to have the passion to the the players as fans do
As a new team with a lot of new faces
The winning culture is there it all depends if they want it .
If they enjoy the training and the time spending with each other and hopefully winning games , The culture that exist there at manly will continue
The senior players are there as long as they back the coach and the staff the successes will follow
We don't always like change , So we must get the wins otherwise the changes wont be accepted by the fans and definitely not by the ruthless owners even though they are the one that have made the changes .

I think you're right brad. While its been a great ride for the past decade or so, the fact is that those players couldn't last forever.

Cutting Gifty last year was basically just the start. Choc chose to go, Foran in now gone, Wolfman and Kingdog retired and Matty Ballin was released. Now all that's really left of the old guard are Snake, Killer, Skivy and probably DCE. And I don't expect any but DCE to still be around after 2017.

As always in life and in rugby league, time moves on.

I think you're right brad. While its been a great ride for the past decade or so, the fact is that those players couldn't last forever.

Cutting Gifty last year was basically just the start. Choc chose to go, Foran in now gone, Wolfman and Kingdog retired and Matty Ballin was released. Now all that's really left of the old guard are Snake, Killer, Skivy and probably DCE. And I don't expect any but DCE to still be around after 2017.

As always in life and in rugby league, time moves on.
Glad to see Foran gone.
Ok that he didn't want to be here... but the guy was a cancer

Can't argue with this. As much as I know we all love Skivy and what he has achieved at Manly, I think this year saw the start of his decline. He was great in 2014, but 2015 saw him fall well below the form that had many considering him the NRL's best performed centre. And his body is definitely showing the wear and tear of what he's put it through. Its rare not to see him clutching his neck or shoulders during games. And then there are his shoulders which are so heavily taped that he has difficulty in lifting his arms past horizontal.

Skivy has been great for us and I've loved watching him in the maroon and white for the past decade. But I can't shake the feeling that his time is just about done.

I still believe that had we let Skivy go to the Warriors in 2014, someone like Gutho who had a good 10 or so years of first grade ahead of him, would still be here.
I actually felt the Skivvy had a pretty solid 2015. He was often the only guy that looked dangerous, scored quite a few tries and pulled off some highlight reel hits. And all whilst playing pretty busted, especially at year's end.

I don't think the Manly culture will be lost with the influx of new faces. I think that the Turbo boys and guys like Killer, Snake, Skivvy and the like will have enough influence to help the newbies "see the light" so to speak. Aside from that they know they've come to a club that expects nothing less than success, and thus will want to be a part of that.

Must admit I'm really looking forward to 2016!!

There's a difference between culture & charity....the players are judged harshly, coaches even more so.
Barrett is assembling the best team that suits his footy style with his head on the block.
I respect he is making some big calls & most importantly its making the players accountable for their futures at Manly.
Those who WANT to be part of the culture WILL be by showing it.
Not Barrett's fault players have had major injuries, are getting on OR the side is stronger replacing them.
I'm sure the same ppl questioning these calls today will be all smiles when this footy side challenges for the title.
I would hope with all the venting & firings we will do better than ninth next season. If not then there should be a serious look at the new coach & management. You reap what you sow...

At the heart of a growing, learning culture is a mind-state of welcoming - and more than that - relishing and looking forward to change.

After all the success we've had over the past decade there were clear signs that change was being heavily resisted within - most evident with the downing of tools, and tantrums, by a certain bloc, over Gift-gate.

Barrett appears to have the man management skills to turn this around very quickly. And his actions have already spoken far louder than words. Ruthless. Yes. Clear strategy directing all his actions. Yes. But astute people management skills as well. Haven't looked forward to a season as much in years.

At the heart of a growing, learning culture is a mind-state of welcoming - and more than that - relishing and looking forward to change.

After all the success we've had over the past decade there were clear signs that change was being heavily resisted within - most evident with the downing of tools, and tantrums, by a certain bloc, over Gift-gate.

Barrett appears to have the man management skills to turn this around very quickly. And his actions have already spoken far louder than words. Ruthless. Yes. Clear strategy directing all his actions. Yes. But astute people management skills as well. Haven't looked forward to a season as much in years.
So Barrett has been behind All the changes, dumpings, buyings and everything else then, has he???....

So Barrett has been behind All the changes, dumpings, buyings and everything else then, has he???....
Not all of them. He was not behind the dumping of Toovey for example. But most dumpings and recruitment decisions happened after Barrett was stood down by Penrith. So I'd suggest Barrett was heavily involved in (if not central to) all decisions since then (including the DCE backflip offer).

Yeah I seriously doubt Barrett had anything to do with Tooves being sacked. While I reckon he would have known about what was happening well before it actually happened, I doubt he was involved. I think the club would have kept him informed but he wisely chose to stay in the background.

But since then as the coach the club has brought in with a lot of hoopla I would say he's been heavily involved in recruitment, especially concerning Koroisau and Brown. The club wouldn't bring in a new coach and then leave him in the dark over who they are trying to recruit and who they are going to let go.

I will admit that some of his ideas I don't mind such as:
* DCE taking charge on both sides of the field rather than just one side. He's our chief play maker so let him do just that.
* A running type 5/8. This was essentially how Barrett played and I think he favours that style.
* Playing both Parcell and Koroisau in the hooker role. It gives opposition teams two different types of dummy half player to contend with and when forwards are getting tired that could be something in our favour.

While we are probably a bit light-on for halves and outside backs outside of those we expect will be there, our forward depth has been strengthened, kinda the opposite of this year really. Before this season we seemed to have more outside backs than you could poke a stick at, while our forwards were looking a bit shaky after the loss of Kingdog, Choc and Gifty.

I'm not sure about the culture of the place, but I had a good conversation with Brent Kite a few years ago, and he spoke glowingly about Luke Williamson and Willow's wife as the main drivers as player culture.

Apparently its them whomake sure the new guys (and their partners) are made to feel welcome and loved, and why guys come out early, and say they love the place.

Also, I heard from Glenn Stewart that the club makes sure it keeps all the old boys around, especially in an off season, with guys like Bryant, Perry, Randall, Monaghan, Menzies and others being around.

While they may play at other clubs, they do all still hang together.

People are wondering if Manly are Manly anymore. I totally believe we are, because what made that culture great in the past, really hasn't changed, and no amount of player movement would change that.

@ManlyBacker hope this reaches you mate.

Players come and go at rugby league clubs. Some like Beaver stick with one club for their entire careers, while others like Phil Blake and Terry Hill bounce from one club to the next.

Manly have signed some big name players in the past. One or two have been duds (John Deveraux), others have gone on to be stars with us. We've also let go some top line talent and have still come out on top (Bozo, Frog Eyes, Fatty, Rowdy, Ridgey).

As I said, players come and go. But either way Manly has a habit of keeping the winning culture intact.

It is sad that the days of loyalty and one club players are gone, BUT I have always been of the belief that this Football Club comes first.
No player or player group can ever come first over the success of the MWDRLFC.

It is sad that the days of loyalty and one club players are gone, BUT I have always been of the belief that this Football Club comes first.
No player or player group can ever come first over the success of the MWDRLFC.

We are pretty lucky though mate. If you think about it, players that have played for us and no-one else in 1st grade @ other clubs:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Steve Matai
05. Tom Trbojevic
06. Peta Hiku
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jake Trbojevic
13. Jamie Buhrer

16. Liam Knight

and Darcy Lussick has actually returned.

• 📚
Reactions: Rex
I will admit that some of his ideas I don't mind such as ...
Barrett also has given Cartwright the responsibility of forwards attacking coach. He specifically expects ALL forwards to be capable and willing to set up play through offloads, where it is on. Offloading was a Cartwright specialty when he was playing. This seems to be a huge tactical shift to how Manly and most other teams have played the game. It especially suits speedy players like Parcell, Snake (and Walker?), playing up the middle, and should also create more space on the edges. Interesting to see how this goes.

I'm not sure about the culture of the place, but I had a good conversation with Brent Kite a few years ago, and he spoke glowingly about Luke Williamson and Willow's wife as the main drivers as player culture.

Apparently its them whomake sure the new guys (and their partners) are made to feel welcome and loved, and why guys come out early, and say they love the place.

Also, I heard from Glenn Stewart that the club makes sure it keeps all the old boys around, especially in an off season, with guys like Bryant, Perry, Randall, Monaghan, Menzies and others being around.
Very interested to hear you say this Ryan. It fits, and explains why Willow is seemingly still the goat picture holder.

Willow was always seen as a great clubman when he was playing, perhaps for the same reasons. Some people add far more than is immediately visible, and often through their impact on others around them.

All these changes had to be made or we would be in big trouble . Keeping watmough or glen Stewart on big money getting older we would be the west indies of the nrl . It's been a good old pure clean out and one that had to be made.
What? Players preferring baseball?
@;)

Ruthless, utterly ruthless.
One thing is for sure, everyone who ends up on our NRL playing roster this year will be under no illusions as to what is expected of them. The dramatic roster overhaul and the ever-continuing 'fluidity' of our squad is indicative of the life-long approach of you-know-who. Namely, we are here to win, and friends you make along the way are merely a bonus.

There have been tears, there will be more, but as a mere fan I must say I am expecting a seriously competitive team next year, which pleases me quite a lot as I do enjoy watching Manly win footy games.
Manly are making for the "most" part all the right decisions but many things need to be planned and drilled in our playing structures beyond just relying on the simplistic "we purchased more sharpness around the ruck, a few decent forward purchases and the over simplification of "have DCE float around on each side of the ruck to improve our output" methodologies to make the team a success.

DCE and Foran were "floating" both sides of the ruck this year so it's hardly a world shattering innovation from Barrett. Hopefully the difference next year will be that we have the forwards to punch some holes in the middle to give him a bit more momentum to work with.

What I'm really looking forward to is to see what having options out of dummy half will do for our playing style.

DCE and Foran were "floating" both sides of the ruck this year so it's hardly a world shattering innovation from Barrett. Hopefully the difference next year will be that we have the forwards to punch some holes in the middle to give him a bit more momentum to work with.

What I'm really looking forward to is to see what having options out of dummy half will do for our playing style.
DCE has for the most part played off the right side of the ruck and hardly floated around at all, not even really playing central like an old school half. Foran has been playing on the left and playing more central to hold the middle defenders up when spreading the ball to the right----if anything Foran in the attacking zone has played more like a half than DCE.

Floating around the ruck has it's advantages when there is plenty of punch, speed and power through the middle and playing off that with quick play the balls. It can also be predictable if DCE is the only real play maker and the defence just floods the areas where DCE is floating.

The advantage of having ball players locked to either side of the field is that with a crisp clean pass from dummy half you can take advantage of the numbers and always know there is a ballplaying option, not overly reliant on a central playing half floating around reading the numbers.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6