Russell Crowe flies in to tempt Bradford's Sam Burgess

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Source: http://m.guardian.co.uk/?id=102202&story=http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/aug/04/sam-burgess-bradford-bulls-russell-crowe

Andy Wilson

The Guardian News Tue 4 Aug 2009 23:18 BST

• Young prop keen to further his development in Australia
• Movie star in England filming new version of Robin Hood

The status of the Bradford and England prop Sam Burgess as one of the game's hottest properties has been confirmed by a personal approach from Russell Crowe.

The Gladiator star, who is in England filming a new version of Robin Hood, has intervened in an effort to persuade Burgess to sign for the South Sydney club in which he has a controlling interest.

The 20-year-old, who became Great Britain's youngest forward since Andy Farrell when he made a try-scoring debut in the home series against New Zealand in 2007, is keen to further his development in Australia's National Rugby League and has already been strongly linked with Manly, Parramatta and Penrith.

However, he is contracted with Bradford until the end of the 2010 season, meaning that the Bulls would demand compensation to release their prize asset any time before then.Daryl Millard, a Canterbury Bulldogs centre who played for Fiji in last year's World Cup, is the latest NRL player to be linked with a move to Bradford next season.

I got this from the Bradford Bulls forum (Sam Burgress)
http://www.bradfordsbulls.co.uk/Forum/ViewThread.asp?Forum=5&Thread=9611&Page=1

Source: http://www.totalrl.com/features/content.php?feat_id=838&featcat_id=49

Burgess will play in Oz, says Caisley

Mon 03 Aug 2009

Sam Burgess is "certain" to play in Australia's NRL competition in the next couple of years, according to his manager Chris Caisley.

And Des Hasler, the coach of World Champions Manly, appears to have left the door open for a 2011 transfer to Brookvale Oval after denying Burgess would be joining the club next season.
"He's got another year to go at Bradford, so he won't be playing for Manly in 2010," Hasler told 'League Express'.
When asked if Burgess would be a Manly player in 2011, Hasler played a straight bat.
"No comment," he replied.
"But the form of Gareth Ellis has made a few people over here look to Super League."
Caisley, the former Bulls' Chairman, said: "At the moment half of the NRL wants to sign Sam. But firstly, can he be released from his contract with Bradford? And secondly, can he come to the right terms with an NRL club?
"There has been no firm decision at the moment, but the only thing certain is that Sam will go to the NRL in the next couple of years.
"He'll see out his Bradford contract, unless they come to an agreement with Sam."
Burgess has been linked with a move to Manly throughout the season, with the Sea Eagles reportedly sounding out Steve Menzies, the long-serving Manly player now at Bradford.
"I know Sam would love to play in the NRL one day," said Menzies.
"Manly asked me about him, but I don't want to get too involved"
Menzies, meanwhile, made a return to Super League on Sunday in the Bulls' home defeat to Harlequins after an illness - possibly swine flu.
"I came down with some flu-ey symptoms last week while we were in Wales," he said.
"They don't test for swine flu, they just ask you to stay at home for five or six days. I did that, then returned to training on Friday."

For an exclusive interview with Steve Menzies buy the September issue of 'Rugby League World', which is out on Friday 7th August.

Sam Burgess is thought of highly by Bradford Bulls fans it seems, and there's 26 pages chat about him leaving the Bulls maybe ?. It seems he could link up with the Hares I'm not a 100% sure, but Crowe is going hard for his signature and dropping the carrot so to speak.

It's interesting what some of them are saying. I think someone said Orford is going to sign with Bradford Bulls ? here's the link if anyone wants have a read. http://forums.rlfans.com/

Just click on the Bradford Bulls forum / Burgess NRL move looks closer.

I'm a member there myself but you don't have to be a member to look around.

Money wise, Souths would have to be in a worse position than us in regards to the money spent on their pack

Asotasi, Stuart, Crocker etc already there, have signed Dave Taylor from Brisbane and I have just read Ben Ross has inked a deal with them as well

Thursday 6th August 2009

By Dave Craven

Hollywood megastar Russell Crowe is believed to have forged a friendship with Sam Burgess on a Derbyshire film set – and his South Sydney club may now be preparing to tempt the Bulls with a potential £200,000 bid.

Gladiator actor Crowe has a controlling interest in the NRL outfit and is understood to have reached out personally to the England forward in a late bid to try and entice him to the Rabbitohs.

It is no secret hot property Burgess is keen on moving to Australia, with a host of clubs having already confirmed chasing his signature.

But the T&A understands South Sydney have now shifted into pole position as they are the only mover willing to talk about a transfer fee for the 20-year-old – and that could prove crucial to all parties.

Oscar-winner Crowe is in England filming a new version of Robin Hood and a source says Burgess met him in the rural town of Ashbourne earlier this week during a break from filming the expected blockbuster.

Champions Manly, Parramatta Eels and Wests Tigers have all also made their interest known recently while Sydney Roosters and Penrith Panthers are also reportedly in the hunt.

But Crowe’s personal touch and pulling power could seal the deal for the highly-rated forward.

Burgess is under contract at Odsal until the end of 2011, although he does have a clause allowing him to move at the end of next season if an NRL club comes in for him.

Any suitors who want him earlier would have to compensate Bradford and so far no one has been interested in reaching such an agreement.

But Souths, who have a new $22million training facility and have real plans to launch a major attack for the Premiership next season, are capable of making that happen.

And it is felt Crowe is such a big fan of hard-hitting Burgess that compensation won’t be a problem, although there could be one stumbling block – salary cap issues.

It is believed Burgess already has three-year offers on the table of up to $1.4million from various clubs, with Manly – after good reports from team-mate Steve Menzies – initially being his preferred choice and Roosters a close second.

However, Souths may be unable to match that due to their current roll call, despite the high-earning Craig Wing departing for Japan RU, David Fa’alogo joining Huddersfield Giants and Michael Greenfield moving to St George Illawarra next term.

It is understood Burgess is keen to make the life-changing move sooner rather than later though and the desire to head Down Under next season is likely to be strong.

A six-figure fee is also likely to be too good to turn down for the Bulls, knowing their star asset could walk away for nothing in just over 12 months’ time, and a deal could easily materialise in the coming weeks.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/4531388.Russell_Crowe_plots_blockbuster_deal_for_Burgess/

I see Soufs have just signed an outstanding prospect in Ben Ross.  How many games has he played since 2003?

They said he had to take a 350k pay cut to join the Bunnies, which means he was on 450+ at the Sharks. No wonder Cronulla suck so badly.

I never pay too much attention to speculated salaries in newspapers.  I think they get those figures from trawling fan forums.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6