Rugby League World Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Who said:
But playing on a soccer field is a disgrace. There could have been two serious injuries coming from the kiddie-in goals. It's simply not good enough.

I totally agree. Manu Vatuvei was very lucky that he didn't end up with a broken arm after his arm went under the signage and Brett Morris was lucky that he didn't end up with a back injury after colliding with the fence and all the other unprotected stuff (gutter etc.). They (the organisers) should have thrown a heap of foam rubber in those gullies to protect the players or even used some of those padded moveable signage that are used in NRL games. Leaving the players completely unprotected like they were was a joke and should be looked at to rectify in any future games played at those short in-goal venues.

Sonny Bill hype was owned in the GF as well. He got smashed and the only reason he looked half decent was because of his over bribed mate with the whistle turning a blind eye to his NFL passes.

While Old Trafford is regarded as one of the worlds great sports stadiums, as an international rugby league venue its a complete joke. I mean, Vossy came right out at the start and said he had personally measured the in-goal area and it was a whopping 4.1 metres. Not bad considering the minimum is supposed be 6 metres. This almost saw both Brett Morris and Manu Vatuvei carted off with serious injuries after both crashed heavily into the advertising boards while chasing a try in the second half (at least Morris got a try for his trouble). IMO Manu is dead set lucky his left arm is still in one piece. The dead ball line ended and there was then a drop of about a metre before the fence came into play.

That to me was a dangerous situation the players should never have been put in.

How the IRLF could have allowed that is a mystery. Fact is that the final should have been held at Wembley and not Old Trafford. More spectator capacity and a pitch that is actually big enough for a full field to be marked out with room to spare behind the dead ball line.

Oh and here is a question. Phil Rothfield in his infinite lack of wisdom criticised the ground in Wrexham for still having the soccer field markings on the pitch. Is he going to do the same for Old Trafford, the so-called "Theatre of Dreams"? I don't know about anyone else but I could still clearly see the soccer markings out there that had not been removed.

Ok, now that rant is over.....great win by the Aussies last night. After everyone had been gushing over the "International Player of the Year" $BW (how he won that award is beyond me), and how well NZ had played in the rounds, the Kiwis were made to look second rate by the Kangaroos last night. Foz and Shaun Johnson were kept quiet, as was Maria, while $BW turned in a "$onny Bill Who?" performance. I think he found its much easier to win a World Cup as an All Black than it is when having to play a quality side like the Kangaroos.

Honestly, and its not often I would say this.....but I actually think England would have given us more of a fight last night. They were the better side against NZ at Wembley and would have won that game but for a defensive lapse right at the death (and a crucial missed conversion earlier from their captain).

Congrats to the Kangaroos for their win, especially DCE. Sad for Foz but oh well, he was wearing black and white, not maroon and white so this time he was the enemy. SMH's player ratings have him as the Kiwi's best player in the final. And even though he's not at Manly any more, its good to see Dean Whare come on in leaps and bounds in the WC.

Ok, league is over for the year, I can now concentrate on cheering for my summer sports team, the mighty Adelaide 36ers :D

One thing I found strange about the Final was Kearney's decision to put Alex Glenn in the centres when RTS went off injured. Although he can play centre at a stretch, he is normally a back rower with the Donkeys. Glenn was caught out in defence way too often in the centres and he simply didn't have the pace to go with Hayne or Morris and it hurt the Kiwis.

I thought the logical move would have been Glenn to the forwards, Mannering to the centres where he's no stranger and Whare to the wing.

Yeah you don't win rugby league world cup with cool haka's.

If you're going to point at the opposition and make a throat slitting gesture....better be able to back it up. Ponces!

Well done aust! Hopefully we never see another game played at such a dangerous and atrocious ground again. Downright embarrassing.

Most dangerous thing I have seen in ages is the reckless reintroduction of the 1970s word..."ponce"

Its like a bad disco step gone wrong. Look out !

:p All disco steps are bad.

I thought Hayne had a couple of superb touches (kicks).

Thurston breaking Cronin's test points record deserves some congrats.

Was he really m.o.m worthy though? Or did he get it on the basis of his kicking. Not griping, just didn't see it as a stand out game.

Prob just watch it again.

edit: Was that the aussie team song being sung on stage or did the Qld'ers sing their own state one again?

At the 30 minute mark i remember thinking thurston hasnt done anything. He had a few good touches from then on but I agree about M.O.M. He wasnt.

Hayne was on fire in the front line and really went after Manu. parra by securing hoppa have really strengthened the back line

The queenslanders probably sang the state song. They struggle to retain 2 songs by memory and the qld song is pretty basic

COMMANDER said:
Well they wouldn't be singing the NSW victory song would they?

There isn't one.

Ha, No mate it was like queenslands sheffield shield song. It took a long time to hear it but it tasted pretty sweet when it came out

Beside Aye Aye ippy ippy Aye isnt a song its a bloody nursery ryhme and to be honest pretty embarrasing

I began to like the ESL ref's style of officiating.

Whereas our NRL ref's run around looking for any minor infringement to get themselves on tv and ruin the flow of the game....

The ESL ref's make an instant call of "Is it really that big of a deal? No, then play on."

I mean they look at some of the terrible play the balls and just let them go as the flow of the game is more important.

I dunno - it just seemed like they understood what we all want in a game of footy more than the nrl ref's...who seem intent on punishing anything not 100% correct (yet are nowhere neer 100% themselves).

In conclusion...ESL ref good, NRL ref bad (and in one case...on the take.)

RLWC showed that the one Ref System is consistent throughout the 80 minutes.

The game flowed, as the Players were clear on what the Ref wanted, and the penalties were given immediately to knock it into their heads ASAP.
There was never any extended dialogue, as the Ref just said "Ive made my call, play on"

Still would love to know what the Touchies responsibilities are.
It would be great if we could hear them as well as the Video Ref.:idea:

HappilyManly said:
RLWC showed that the one Ref System is consistent throughout the 80 minutes.

The game flowed, as the Players were clear on what the Ref wanted, and the penalties were given immediately to knock it into their heads ASAP.
There was never any extended dialogue, as the Ref just said "Ive made my call, play on"

Still would love to know what the Touchies responsibilities are.
It would be great if we could hear them as well as the Video Ref.:idea:

You made more sense at 3am (get some sleep!) then I did posting at 9am my time!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6