Rugby league and union to merge codes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
AFTER a century of bitter rivalry, rugby union and rugby league are on the brink of a grassroots merger under a proposal to create a hybrid game to introduce children to the common basics of the two sports.

Union coaching great Alex Evans first raised with league legend Wayne Bennett the idea of the codes combining to teach primary school children generic rugby skills more than three years ago.

But it was only in recent weeks, when Evans feared criticism of Bennett might drive the Brisbane Broncos coach out of the game, that the two men decided to act.

"It's Alex's idea but I support it," Bennett said yesterday.

"It gives kids opportunities. It's such a big career if you've got ability, and one game mightn't suit you but the other game might. You've got a lot of similarities between the two codes. At school level we should look at introducing a hybrid game that would give kids the opportunity to make choices."

Evans was expected to meet Australian Rugby Union boss John O'Neill this week.

Mr O'Neill was unavailable for comment yesterday but National Rugby League chief executive David Gallop said he would keep "an open mind".

Who would ever have thought Union would run to league to boost it's popularity in Australia? Let the game die it's slow and painful death, its great to watch.

I dont mind a bitta union , I check out the waratahs games if they dont coincide with manly. Which it seems they do a lot.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2