Round 16 Panthers v Sea Eagles Teams, Info, Discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Panthers:
1. Lachlan Coote 2. Michael Gordon 3. Michael Jennings 4. Adrian Purtell 5. Brad Tighe 6. Wade Graham 7. Luke Walsh
8. Tim Grant 9. Kevin Kingston 10. Matthew Bell 11. Trent Waterhouse 12. Frank Pritchard 13. Luke Lewis

Interchange: 14. Nathan Smith 15. Sam McKendry 16. Gavin Cooper 17. Masada Iosefa
Reserves: 18. Travis Burns 20. Frank Puletua

Sea Eagles:
1. Ben Farrar 2. Michael Robertson 3. Dean Whare 4. Steve Matai, 5. Tony Williams 6. Kieran Foran 7. Trent Hodkinson
8. Jason King (c) 9. Matt Ballin 10. Josh Perry 11. Anthony Watmough 12. Shane Rodney 13. Glenn Stewart

Interchange: 14. Joe Galuvao 15. Brent Kite 16. George Rose 17. Chris Bailey
Reserves: 18. Matt Cross

I saw these guys last Friday night in the double header at Sunnycorp...let me tell you they are bloody fast....their line sspeed is incredible and they kick and kick and kick at the end of their sets and drive big sets of forwards back on their heels. Ben is going to get bombed, and bombed all night long. In all honesty on our current form it will be a shellacking BUT as we have seen week in and week out strange things happen, so who knows!!

mark from brissy: 'their line sspeed is incredible and they kick and kick and kick at the end of their sets'

their sspeed is making you nervous man. And is that a stutter or do they kick it 3 times on the 5th tackle? They sound a bit ocd to me.

Hopefully they were up for the Broncos game and wont be at their best this week

Speed aside we have them covered, though speed is why we are losing matches lol. If by some miracle we can win this game it will set us up till Killer gets back from injury keeping us well up the top 8.

The teams that do well against them, are the teams that are fast, and defend well out wide....

A wet & rainy nite is maybe what would help me thinks, its raining now in Erskine Park, which isn't  too far from Penrith 

You crack me up Ian Martin!!

As far as them being "up for it" I thought they actually looked a bit ordinary against the Donkeys, whereas the game afterthat (Titans V Bulldogs) was much faster and intense, so I worry that being at home they will def be "up for it" and we could be "in for it"

Panthers will be very hard to beat - it is going to be wet. Our forwards have to stand up and play the full 80 minutes. Hopefully we will show more in attack than we have the past month. I am leaning towards writing this off as a loss. especially if Matai is out or not 100%. Their outside men on both sides are very, very good. I can see them cutting us to pieces.

I wouldn't write us off yet.  The Panthers are known to make errors and if it's wet, those errors can be magnified.  Civono hasn't played for a month so will get tired, if he plays at all.  Lewis is a complete idiot and overrated so I'm not entirely without hope.  A wet track can slow their fast guys.  And Penriff Park isn't a fortress for them.  I'd like to see Cross instead of Bailey in the team though.  Big guys against big guys.  I predict Ballin will have a blinder darting out of dummy half and dragging us to a win. 

Lyon has been our best player all season and I would say that the captaincy role has taken his game to another level so I have a great deal of trepidation about the next month. If Matai can stay on for the entire 80 I feel we still have a shot, if he starts clutching that shoulder the youngsters will be in over their heads.

does any 1 know why cross is named 18th  man ??  did i miss something???..

Panthers v Sea Eagles
CUA Stadium
Friday 7:35pm (AEST)

Lose your linchpin and pundits write you off quicker than you can say ?Women in League Round?. And that?s exactly what happened when Manly lost Matt Orford in the off-season. But how new halves Kieran Foran, Trent Hodkinson and the Sea Eagles have proved them wrong.

However, the bigger shock are those penny Panthers, whose second-place standing on the ladder would?ve almost knocked anyone off their perch at the start of the year. With four wins from their past five games, Penrith are firing on all cylinders at the moment.

It sets the scene for this clash between the surprise packets of 2010 and the new-and-improved northern beaches side to be a very interesting battle this Friday night.

Against the high-flying Broncos last week, the Panthers showed a mettle in defence and aggression in attitude we?ve hardly seen from the mountain men since Mark Geyer stood toe-to-toe with the great Wally Lewis. To come away with two competition points from Suncorp is like the NSW Blues netting a win against the almighty Queenslanders.

On the other hand, Manly won against Souths via the boot of Hodkinson, whose two field goals in the last three minutes saved his team from a Des Hasler tongue-lashing. They lose lion-heart Jamie Lyon for this match, but rising star Dean Whare (three tries on debut) isn?t a bad replacement.

Penrith skipper Petero Civoniceva mightn?t be named, but look for an early return for the veteran forward, whose absence was supposed to trigger a collapse from his young team. Instead, bullish prop Tim Grant has exploded this year, to the tune of 122 metres per game.

Watch out Panthers: Almost half of Manly?s 51 tries this year have come on their left edge, where the improved Michael Robertson and the hard-hitting Steve Matai lurk. The pair lead the side in ?meat pies? with eight apiece, but Matai is the main threat. The dreadlocked missile-head has recorded four line-breaks assists and five try assists ? no doubt most of them to Robertson.

It spells danger for Penrith?s new right edge of Adrian Purtell and Michael Gordon, two of the least effective tacklers in the club. Purtell has missed a team-high 53 tackles this year to go with his lowly 74 per cent tackling efficiency, while Michael Gordon tackles at just 77 per cent.

Watch out Sea Eagles: If Manly?s left edge gives the Panthers problems, then Penrith?s own left side causes some real havoc. With the fleet-footed Michael Jennings re-united with destruction machine Frank Pritchard on that side of the field, the Sea Eagles? pair of young Whare (six missed tackles in two games) and Tony Williams (19 missed tackles) will no doubt go home with nightmares.

While Jennings? seven tries and five line-breaks are down on last year?s output, his shift to his natural side could explode Penrith?s somewhat one-dimensional attack of kicking. The fact that winger Brad Tighe is on the left means there?ll be some seriously fast action on that side of the field, which has also reaped half of their total tries this year (30 out of 61).

Where it will be won: The kicking game. Manly?s Kieran Foran and Trent Hodkinson might be getting plenty of raps for their play this year, but what needs improvement is their precision with the boot. Their 49 per cent accuracy rate makes them last in the competition. Penrith aren?t that great either ? only Brisbane are lower than their 53 per cent ? but once the Panthers are in the attacking zone, everyone knows the kicking abilities of halfback Luke Walsh (24 try assists).

The history: Played 72; Manly 46, Penrith 25, drawn 1. It?s home away from home for the Sea Eagles ? at least in recent years anyway ? as they?ve won three of the past four games at the foot of the mountains.

You can make that five of the past seven altogether, a run that goes all the way back to Round 13, 2006, where a young Travis Burns ? now a Panther ? kicked four goals to help his team to a 29-22 win.

Conclusion: Without skipper Jamie Lyon, Manly might not have the artillery against a team that will be inspired by the expected return of their own leader in Petero Civoniceva. At home and in form, expect Penrith to continue to show the mental aptitude necessary to take out the big games.

Match officials: Referees ? Tony Archer & Tony De Las Heras; Sideline officials ? David Abood & David Munro; Video Referee ? Sean Hampstead.

Televised: Channel Nine ? Delayed 9:30pm (AEST); Fox Sports ? Delayed 1am Sat.

I think Glenn will rise up and smite the PPthers.  If it's wet underfoot he'll have a blinder alongside Joe G.  Rodney should relish the return to PP.  A win for us. 

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6