Round 12 Double Header

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Suncorp to hold third annual Double Header

NRL Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:53:00
http://www.nrl.com/news/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/61243/suncorp-to-hold-third-annual-double-header/default.aspx

Suncorp Stadium will again host an NRL double-header in 2011 during Round 12 of the Telstra Premiership.

On Friday, May 27,
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles will clash with the Brisbane Broncos

followed by
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs taking on the Gold Coast Titans.

The Telstra Premiership double-header is just two days after the opening game of the Harvey Norman State of Origin Series on Wednesday, May 25, that will see Queensland start their quest for an unprecedented sixth straight series victory.

Suncorp Stadium General Manager, Mr Alan Graham, said the double-header concept had been an outstanding success at the Stadium since its inception in 2009 with more than 92,000 fans attending both events.

“What started as a novel idea has now become a regular fixture on the Stadium event schedule and it’s great that all key stakeholders have seen the positives of such a move,” he said.

“It's no surprise that the NRL wants to hold matches like this at Suncorp Stadium. It’s an ideal venue with the infrastructure in place to support major sporting events.”

The double-header will represent ‘home’ fixtures for both the Sea Eagles and the Bulldogs with their members able to pre-purchase tickets before they go on sale to the general public.

Broncos members will also receive a pre-purchase opportunity for this event. The Broncos’ same seat pre-sale will commence on Monday, March 14, and the Broncos’ supporters pre-sale will begin on Monday, March 21.

General tickets will go on sale Monday 4 April

I really wanted to get down for this, but those dates are not going to site well with the Mrs.

Why couldn't they do this a little earlier

Naturally I'll have a package/ tickets to both!

In fact I released the details yesterday, if you aren't on my mail list e-mail me now.

How many "Manly" home games are being stripped from Brooky? Is this in addition to the Gosford games? Is having a Manly home game at Suncorp very smart? I'd much rather it be versus the Cowgirls or Titans, or it should at LEAST be a Brisbane home game, so we get to face them later at Brooky.

Sorry, for me this just de-values the season tickets, and it also gives The Drongo's a leg up on us.

Great concept. Poor execution....unless of coarse, The Bronco's have been idiotic enough to agree to play one of THEIR hame games at Brooky, to return the favor....

Ryan link said:
How many \"Manly\" home games are being stripped from Brooky? Is this in addition to the Gosford games? Is having a Manly home game at Suncorp very smart? I'd much rather it be versus the Cowgirls or Titans, or it should at LEAST be a Brisbane home game, so we get to face them later at Brooky.

Sorry, for me this just de-values the season tickets, and it also gives The Drongo's a leg up on us.

Great concept. Poor execution....unless of coarse, The Bronco's have been idiotic enough to agree to play one of THEIR hame games at Brooky, to return the favor....

No,this game is one of the 2 they're allowed to take away from Brookie.Don't know what the other will be.The season ticket this year,unlike last year,only gives 10 home games at Brookie.I guess there was too much criticism from people who paid for 12,but could only get to Brookie games,(missing the fun {sic} of bluetongue).And no,the Broncos aren't silly enough to give up their home ground advantage in round 26.

Ryan

Suncorp holds no fears for the Eagles, we have won there every game for the last 4 years.

It's a bonus (huge) for the clubin a financial sense...worth about 3 home games, and also gives the many SEQ members an opportunity for a "home" game up here and the unique opportunity's to promote membership and the brand whilst there are doing it.

You can blame me for this if you wish I have been on the CEO's backs (Mayer as well) and the Football clubs back to do this very thing for years.

I spoke to Lowe in NZ last year and he actually listened, I also spoke to Des and whilst he wasn't that happy he agreed that Suncorp is a happy hunting ground at present.

This could have happened in 2009 BUT I couldn't quite get Grant across the line at the time, we talked (for some time) and he even rang me at home one night for a lengthy conversation about it but it wasn't to be.

Whilst it is one less game in Sydney, it will do far more good than bad and will just be for a one off time I feel.

Why have it as a once-off Mark?
The gate takings alone will be a massive boon for the club as a whole
Season tickets = 10 games

It would be damned tempting to have a Suncorp double header every year and the other at North Harbour Stadium due to our large kiwi following

Gosford vs Tigers last year the crowd was about a 50/50 split and it favoured the tigers,now that game is off ticketed membership we can essentially play it where ever we want,Suncorp,North Harbour,AAMI park,its akin to sending the other team into bat on a synthetic pitch,it piles more pressure on them than it does us

Its telling teams we will beat you at your home and we will take your fans money to! I never really liked the idea of it being a neutral ground however vs Knights at gosford is good enough,we have a bad track record up in newcastle

Also other teams would be angry at our audacity and would go to see us get beaten,we are not the team people pay to watch win,we are the team who people pay to watch get our ass kicked

Fortunatly for us double negatives we win more often than we lose,perhaps not the comp but games

I think PNG is a bad idea though,isnt that more of a union country than league?
With that mil it would be alright,but exchange rates + Ticket prices,the gate takings wont be worthwhile on their own

Perhaps so Shane, but I have a feeling we can't guarantee it every year.

The numbers are huge...massive really....the (likely) 50,000 gate will be shared between Manly and the Bulldogs, just imagine that (at say $30 a head average).

Obviously it's less expenses, but you don't have to be a genius to see they should get $500K out of it.

And both the Bulldogs and Manly will be able to promote memberships , sell merchandise and spread their brand in the ever growing SEQ area, what an opportunity.

I should have mentioned that I also petitioned (well perhaps that's too hard a word so maybe discussed) Scott Penn about this at the Gold Coast game last year, said to him "I know it's a home game given away BUT please consider".

I am actually very excited about it, not just because I get two chances to see my team a stones throw from where I live but at the possible promotion of the brand in this Rugby League heartland.

It's understandable (Ryan) seeing this as an atypical northern beaches member and I can't disagree with his sentiment, but "thinking outside the square" has to be tolerated.

As to PNG....very doubtful that will ever happen, but if a Million was thrown up...why not.

I don't care where they go to play as long as the funds earned continue to allow me to enjoy my fav team, as I NEVER want a Northern Beagles again!!

I agree with you on this one Mark. It will be massive money wise for the club. Also, we have one of the biggest supporter numbers outside of Sydney than any other Sydney club. Before the Broncos came in, Brisbane residents supported Manly (its the same with NZ). The support we get to GC games is huge. It was 650 last year. Most of them came from Brisbane.

I think this is a better decision than Gosford and that is coming from a Northern Beaches man, born and bred.

Gosford is an awful place to get to from Sydney. And the locals are either Tigers or Souffs fans, so there's no advantage monetarily or fan wise imo.  PNG is rugby league mad.  There's little union played.  Go where there's a fan base and collect the money.   

DSM5 link said:
Gosford is an awful place to get to from Sydney. And the locals are either Tigers or Souffs fans, so there's no advantage monetarily or fan wise imo.  PNG is rugby league mad.  There's little union played.  Go where there's a fan base and collect the money.   

I agree,gosford is ****e to get to,and the seating is crappo!I'm just not a fan of the ground-fullstop!I'm going to be in gosford for the souffs game,but will watch it in the AC comfort of CC leagues.I think the only deterrent for fans going to Png,would be the crime rate up there.NZ is a better option,by far!

There'd be big wire fences and armoured buses for us silvertails I'm certain.  huge supporter base up there ready to be exploited. 

Imagine the whinging from the other teams/fans of having to go to PNG to play us.......it would be worthwhile just for that.

As for the Suncorp game, I think it's a great idea....win, loose or draw

DSM5 link said:

Fact - Manly V Tigers was a sellout during halftime in the toyota cup
Fact - The Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles have never lost at bluetongue stadium
Fact - Bluetongue stadium while having a menu of the most disgusting food i have ever encountered cooks a mean Mars Bar and brews a top Coke
Fact - Alot of grounds would do well to have a close to the action feel of Bluetongue,even behind the goal post wasnt awful,WIN stadium on the other hand while being a "suburban" ground has the most awful hill in the history of stadia with Hills

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7