Round 1 Team Lists

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
#18 could either be Rodney, Cross or Cunningham, heck, it could even be Lussick.

I think Des is foxing, as per usual.

Fro link said:
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe link=topic=186689.msg320745#msg320745 date=1299562729]
[quote author=Fro link=topic=186689.msg320742#msg320742 date=1299562685]
I'll throw this one in here, Is D Williams out and Hoppa Jr. in necessarily a weaker side??

what about Oldfield
[/quote]

Same Question I guess BE?

Hoppa is something special i reckon. Oldfield is handy, but i dont know if he is as good.
[/quote]

I agree Hoppa is special but I have been more impressed with Oldfield in the few games he has played in the NRL.

a year older, a year stronger.

i like the fact that Des has gone away from what would arguably be the "safer" option in Oldfield and gone for the X-factor.

and as someone has mentioned it could well be as a bit of cover for Stewart also

When submitted to the NRL salary cap Vic Mauro was listed as FRF only, Buhrer, Harrison & Gulnavo were registered as 2RF only. Interestingly Tim Robinson & Darcy Lussick were registered as FRF/2RF.
Of course all of this means little as you can name any player in any position but it is a loose indication of how the coach staff sees the players.

Tony Williams is, and will always be a great lump that will get shown up in the centres, like he often did late in games on the wing, when his laziness cost us, as opposition teams stormed home.

Vic Mauro making the grade over guys like Cunningham is disgraceful.

If the best we can do as a starter is a 33 year old guy who wanted to retire 24 months ago, we again, are going to get torn up late.

Too many reserve grade quality players have been listed (Robinson, Seu Seu, Mauro, DCE, Williams, Galuvao, Buhrer). Most of those wouldn't crack most other teams line-ups.

We need to shed such injury prone players from our team to move forward with guys who can make the paddock. We need to invest our funds more wisely. I'm sick of guys like Matai, Wolfman & Rodney riding the pine. They are all wonderful players in their own right, but their constant absence etc destroys chemistry, consistency & harmony.

I don't know, but that team looks battered already, and a ball hasn't even been kicked.

Melbourne - by 12

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
you are kidding Ryan, I hope to see you eating humble pie come Sat night

I'm not kidding, and I also hope I am eating humble pie on Saturday night. The Storm will start like a house on fire, and die off due to lack of talent at the back-end of the season.

We have arguably our best back-rower, our best intimidation guy, and the guy who was going to bring us back some speed out wide all out, and a 1/2 playing his first ever game.

Then we have Vic Mauro - LoL - hell - put Lussick in or something.

Look, take Gasnier, Creagh and Nightingale out of The Dragons, and they would look like a different team as well.

Lets be realists here. The punters are saying if we have injuries, we will struggle. Well, we have injuries.....already.

Rest assured - we will be off to the same start as we have had in the past under Dessie.

Berks - Tony Williams dude. In the centres. That's right.....TONY.....take 3-4 seconds to think before you start plodding up field WILLIAMS....

Ryan, the consensus from the warriors trial (even their fans) was our forwards dominated.

Flip the half glass around. You will see the shining light.

Gee I can't believe we haven't moved past the preacher in the second row he is a waste of space and trex in the center is a big concern. Oh and Vic mauro lmfao he is not first grade material has never been anything but an average reserve grader yet we trot him out for the first game of the year. I keep hearing reports from the club about these young forwards we have coming thru yet I never see them. Preacher and Mauro are clogging up the team or is the club lying about these young forwards. 

Jatz Crackers link said:
Ryan, the consensus from the warriors trial (even their fans) was our forwards dominated.

Flip the half glass around. You will see the shining light.

Nope. I hope your right.
Did Rodney play in the trials?
What is his injury?

Hang on, I'll check the official site...

Oh no ! We are gone...check this out !!

Kieran Foran - Shoulder - Out for season
Dean Whare - Ankle - Out for season
Brent Kite - Collarbone - subject to fitness test
Anthony Watmough - ankle - subject to fitness test
Ben Farrar - shoulder - subject to fitness test
Jamie Lyon - ankle - subject to fitness test
Matt Ballin - Concussion - subject to fitness test
Joe Galuvao - groin - subject to fitness test

Shane Rodney - Cruciate knee ligament injury, out for season
Brett Stewart - Left knee injury - season
David Williams - Collarbone - out for season

Shane Rodney - Cruciate knee ligament injury, out for season
Brett Stewart - Left knee injury - season
David Williams - Collarbone - out for season

Last updated 1/092010 (oh........wait....)

Post  automatically merged: [time]1299583112[/time]

Shane link said:
Ryan your so glass half broken

Disagree. Just being realistic. Have you been watching the Dragons pre-season?

I'd be more worried about the Dragons if they had a slow to the season (the very long season...)

Ryan, as good as Rodney has been for Manly, he is the third best back rower in the club. Not arguably the best just to suit your argument. Anyone who rates Rodney ahead of Glenn Stewart and Watmough have no idea.
Gulavao did contemplate retirement 18 months ago but has since played in another Grand Final in a team who also had a rookie half playing in his first year of NRL.  FMD you have a go at me for something I say about a dog who plays halfback at another team yet you like to put the boot into Manly players before a ball has even been kicked this year. How do you know Tim Robinson is not up to first grade standard? Have you seen him play?
And to suggest Tony Williams laziness late in games cost manly some wins last year is as ridiculous as most of the things you say. The whole team got lazy or ran out of puff at the end of games last year, not one player.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=CLIT COMMANDER link=topic=186689.msg320822#msg320822 date=1299569849]

If Vic Mauro was going to be any good, he would have been good by now
Never heard of Mark Bryant? Glen Hall..? Glen Stewart !
[/quote]

Bryant and Hall had something Mauro doesn't have: size.  G Stewart was always a talent.  

Bones link said:
Ryan, as good as Rodney has been for Manly, he is the third best back rower in the club. Not arguably the best just to suit your argument. Anyone who rates Rodney ahead of Glenn Stewart and Watmough have no idea.
Gulavao did contemplate retirement 18 months ago but has since played in another Grand Final in a team who also had a rookie half playing in his first year of NRL.  FMD you have a go at me for something I say about a dog who plays halfback at another team yet you like to put the boot into Manly players before a ball has even been kicked this year. How do you know Tim Robinson is not up to first grade standard? Have you seen him play?
And to suggest Tony Williams laziness late in games cost manly some wins last year is as ridiculous as most of the things you say. The whole team got lazy or ran out of puff at the end of games last year, not one player.

Robinson has only played reserve grade, and couldn't crack a terrible Parramatta team - hence why I suggested he was a reserve grade player.

There's a big difference about wishing a season ending injury to someone, and critiqueing a team list.

Rodney when fit is one of our most consistent forwards. Last year Choc couldn't catch, and lets face it, G Stewart has been flat since Brett has been out of the team. Rodney would be one of the 1st players I'd pick. If only he could remain healthy, he's be one of our best.

This thread is about round one, and I gave an opinion on the team, and my concern about injury / suspension. Lets just see how that pans out for us, shall we?

Tony Williams - I don't know if you watch every game every week, but dude, his defensive deficiencies and lack of pace hurt us PLENTY last year (and the year before that). You can win me over with arguments about other stuff (like I know I'm being negative etc), but the bloke is a lummox. 

In regards to Robinson not being able to crack a spot at Parra so he mustn't be very good......  Wolf man mustn't be much chop then either. Glen hall couldn't crack a first grade spot at Souths yet played in a premiership winning team at manly. Des Hasler couldn't make penriths first grade all those years ago and look what he did at manly. Sometimes it might only take a player finding an environment he enjoys playing in for him to star. Criticise after you see him mate, not before he is even given a chance. Watmough played injured last year and should have been rested and we all know why Glenn was off his game. I wouldnt swap either of those two for any other back rowers in the game. We will agree to disagree on TRex. I think he had a great year last year and expect him to improve again this year.

Lol Ryan. I thought you were looking forward to the season and seemed quite positive a week or so back. Tbh that team is hardly a shock, apart from Mauro.

Fingers crossed for Saturday.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8