Rorting of the Cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Interesting the stance Gallop will take on this, there appears to be an attempt to deceive and break the salary gap rules - the intent is there and is there any difference between that what Storm did?

EXCLUSIVE

THE NRL will reject South Sydney's contract with Greg Inglis if the superstar is listed as receiving significantly less than $300,000 under the salary cap.

Third-party deals with Inglis will become assessable under the cap because they will be deemed to have been negotiated at the same time he agreed to join the Rabbitohs. Veteran player manager Wayne Beavis has taken over negotiations on behalf of Inglis while his regular agent, Allan Gainey, is on leave.

Advertisement: Story continues below NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert has not completed his investigation into Inglis's contract with Souths, but it is understood the NRL is convinced any third-party deals have been, in effect, guaranteed by the club.

Schubert's investigation into Inglis's contract has widened to include other player contracts at the club and the association between sponsors and the club's celebrity owners, actor Russell Crowe and businessman Peter Holmes a Court.

Crowe recently told a late-night TV show that Inglis would receive $1.8 million over three years.

Schubert's probe follows a letter from a South Sydney fan who has demanded the NRL provide an explanation of how the club can afford to fit one of the world's best forwards, Sam Burgess, Kiwi hooker Issac Luke, Bronco recruit David Taylor and Inglis inside the cap.

The fan, skilled in forensic accounting, has traced the links between certain players and the club's sponsors and owners. He cites quotes from South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson saying on three occasions the Rabbitohs could not sign Inglis because of lack of salary cap space.

He points out Richardson's defence that he was unaware at the time of NRL increases in salary cap allowances is at odds with Souths' website listing these concessions on June 22.

Some of the links the fan has drawn between Inglis, Crowe, sponsors and a rival code could conveniently be listed under the heading conspiracy theory.

One of Inglis's projected third-party sponsors is $50,000 from ANZ Stadium, venue of Souths' home games: Crowe recently narrated a Ben Hur spectacular for ANZ Stadium: ANZ Stadium is managed by a company owned by AFL chairman, Mike Fitzpatrick; AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou announced recently his code would not be pursuing Inglis if his deal with Souths collapsed.

Fitzpatrick has undertaken to remove himself from any conflict-of-interest situations and it's likely the AFL's lack of interest in Inglis is more to do with his unsuitability for the stamina-challenging code.

The Rabbitohs maintain Inglis's contract is back-loaded, meaning that he will receive higher payments in the final years of the deal.

Souths salary cap payments to Inglis in 2011 will be $190,000 plus a car valued at $25,000 and a marquee player allowance of $100,000 with Star City, while the following two years it will be $350,000 a year, plus the car and the marquee allowance.

He has four third-party deals which Souths maintain are outside the cap - $100,000 with an unknown sponsor; two for $25,000 and the $50,000 ANZ Stadium deal.

They claim it is almost the same deal as he agreed with the Broncos, before he walked out of the club following entreaties from Crowe and friend Anthony Mundine.

However, while the Brisbane third-party deals were at arm's length from the club, the NRL believes Inglis's Rabbitohs sponsorships have been effectively guaranteed by Souths. Which raises the question why didn't the Broncos deals follow Inglis to Redfern?

Get ready for a court case and the salary cap being deemed as a restraint of trade and scrapped.
This coming from a club who pointed the finger at every other club and saying they'll never try and buy a comp.

hows the south sydney fan sending a letter  to schubert, he would want to keep himself incognito now ..

The final question in the article is telling:

"However, while the Brisbane third-party deals were at arm's length from the club, the NRL believes Inglis's Rabbitohs sponsorships have been effectively guaranteed by Souths. Which raises the question why didn't the Broncos deals follow Inglis to Redfern?"

Why will Gallop refuse to register the contract if substantially under $300k, when Lockyer's is reportedly registered at $250k? The same amount that Cooper Cronk's was reportedly registered at. And if he believes the third party deals are effectively guaranteed, why do they not all fall under the cap, and why do not all the Broncos third party deals become treated the same way (given that they disappeared for Inglis as soon as he didn't sign with the Broncos)?

If the NRL does refuse to register based on amount, then isn't it putting itself in the place of arbiter of a player's actual salary cap value? And could this naturally flow onto other players' values, and ultimately to all players' salary cap values?

Is the salary cap system merely sick, or is it on its death bed?

But Souths don't do chequebook rugby league!!

Let's see if this does get messy and into the courts how often Rusty will be reaching for said book.

The battlers are all of a sudden the golden goose

What concerns me is that Shubert only seems to get interested when pressed by either an internal whistleblower (Storm), or a disgruntled fan (Souths).  What is it with this guy?  Lazy, disinterested, or just not very competent?  And I hope they're investigating what Crowe negotiated with Burgess's family in England. 

DSM5 link said:
What concerns me is that Shubert only seems to get interested when pressed by either an internal whistleblower (Storm), or a disgruntled fan (Souths).  What is it with this guy?  Lazy, disinterested, or just not very competent?  And I hope they're investigating what Crowe negotiated with Burgess's family in England. 

From what I hear, understaffed, under financed and without access. I mean he wasn't even allowed to look at the storms books until the crisis hit. Until then all he saw was the contracts they submitted each year.

DSM5 link said:
What concerns me is that Shubert only seems to get interested when pressed by either an internal whistleblower (Storm), or a disgruntled fan (Souths).  What is it with this guy?  Lazy, disinterested, or just not very competent?  And I hope they're investigating what Crowe negotiated with Burgess's family in England.  

The George Burgess thing wouldn't count in the NRL Cap for two reasons a) he's on loan from Bradford and b) play's in the U20's

Rex link said:
The final question in the article is telling:

\"However, while the Brisbane third-party deals were at arm's length from the club, the NRL believes Inglis's Rabbitohs sponsorships have been effectively guaranteed by Souths. Which raises the question why didn't the Broncos deals follow Inglis to Redfern?\"

Why will Gallop refuse to register the contract if substantially under $300k, when Lockyer's is reportedly registered at $250k? The same amount that Cooper Cronk's was reportedly registered at. And if he believes the third party deals are effectively guaranteed, why do they not all fall under the cap, and why do not all the Broncos third party deals become treated the same way (given that they disappeared for Inglis as soon as he didn't sign with the Broncos)?

If the NRL does refuse to register based on amount, then isn't it putting itself in the place of arbiter of a player's actual salary cap value? And could this naturally flow onto other players' values, and ultimately to all players' salary cap values?

Is the salary cap system merely sick, or is it on its death bed?

All 3rd Party deals are a rort and have some connection to the club. It's a joke to suggest otherwise.

Ant, I'm not referring to the younger Burgess.  What annoys me is that his brother's contract is registered under the 250 thousand mark. 

DSM5 link said:
i think the souths fan even though he has been starved of success (as a souths supporter ) , is genuinely afraid that souths might end up being  punished in similar fashion to storm mid season  nxt yr ..cant blame him but, geez let some one else worry about that.. 
yeah you`re right DSM  had the fan not sent a letter  "shoe bert " wouldnt have done ****..

DSM5 link said:
Ant, I'm not referring to the younger Burgess.  What annoys me is that his brother's contract is registered under the 250 thousand mark. 

His brother hasn't even played ESL. By the same age Sam(Sam had also played for the last ever Great Britain side) and Luke had.

Another thing is that Widnes and the Broncos have entered into a deal where 3 players from Widnes come out and play here in Australia(U20's and Q Cup).

I said a few month ago we should be looking at entering into a partnership with a English/Welsh/French club. Put them down as 'loan' players and the club shouldn't have to put it down as a full player as there club would be paying them not Manly

The George Burgess thing wouldn't count in the NRL Cap for two reasons a) he's on loan from Bradford and b) play's in the U20's
[/quote]

It doesn't matter what grade you play. The highest 25 paid players are the ones included in the NRL cap.

This whole thing has big implications for the clubs with smaller revenue streams. Blow the salary cap apart and then in an open marketplace it will be a case of the rich getting richer and the poor struggling.

It will end up like the EPL with Brisbane, Titans and the Roosters dominating with the rest playing for fourth place.

Funny though that in this sort of set up, Souths would be good whilst Rusty was on board, but the minute he loses interest and goes away, they would be stuffed.

Manly would struggle as we are no longer the 'Silvertails', except in name.

Chip & Chase link said:
All 3rd Party deals are a rort and have some connection to the club. It's a joke to suggest otherwise.

True C&C.

Now, in the light of the Broncos' 3rd party deals not following Inglis to Redfern, it is claimed that the Brisbane deal with Inglis fell apart because of salary cap problems? And Bruno claimed it was simply because Inglis reneged. 

Convenient re-writing of history to hide Brisbane's unsuccessful rorting?

"But Mundine maintains the contract is above board and warned the NRL that they risked driving Inglis out of the game after the Brisbane deal he initially left Melbourne for also ran into salary-cap problems."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/mundine-attacks-nrl-over-inglis-deal-holdup-20101205-18le3.html?from=smh_sb

The human headline Mundine gets involved again!! Go away Man. You passed up your right to make an intelligent comment on league the day that you walked away from the game. Actually it was passed up the day he complained that he should have been selected ahead of Laurie Daley and that Daley had done nothing. He should stick to his game of fighting past-it had-beens or never-weres.
The Inglis thing stinks. That Mundine is involved, hurts his case all the more!!!

well , seeing as everyone team is on the same salary cap , isn't it then, who has the best third party arrangements ,wins ?

ERNIE FOR NO7 link said:

It doesn't matter what grade you play. The highest 25 paid players are the ones included in the NRL cap.
[/quote]

They have to declare there 25 players (and it's not the highest paid)  NRL at the start of the year like everyone else does. We supposedly had Hoppa Jr getting more then some seasoned veterans and that was before he was named in our 25.
The U20's cap isn't included in the NRL team's Salary Cap (from memory there is at least three caps across the comp's U20's, Reserve and NRL).

Where team's have come unstuck (i.e the Broncos) in the past is when one of there U20's players plays top grade they have to declare them in the NRL cap as well.

Mind you it's going to be interesting how the NRL rules on these English players i.e George Burgess (on loan from Bradford - Bulls are still paying his wages) and the Widnes Academy players that the Broncos recently got.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4