Roosters roster proves the NRL salary cap isn’t working

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Sideline Eye

Reserve Grader
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ow-it-can-change/story-fnp0lyn3-1227279974680

Following on from my post to commence the discussion, I found an article on the problems with the current salary cap.

If the cap was based on a 100 point system, would the Roosters, Dogs or South even be able to field half the team they have. I think Politis and his cronies exploit far more than what meets the eye. Who knows maybe the Roosters have in place (NON)guaranteed TPA with some NRL offoials!

Do people realise the recruitment manager for The Chooks is the very same recruitment manager at The Storm throughout the double contract signing saga?

You'd have thought that he would have been banned for life.. But he's probably on more $$ now, as he knows how NOT to get caught..

And you wonder why I'm one majorly disillusioned fan ( customer) these days.

So we have the Rorters and the Vermin with a 6.3 Million cap probably with 7.8 Million worth of players, and we have the poor old Faders who can't even go close to spending their cap, and then we have a flat broke Titans, with NRL backing , trying to buy a Premiership!!

Apart from all the other **** going on this is just sickening.

Smith , Greenturd and co are and will kill this game.

In two years the A League will have more fans , more sponsorship and take over as the 2nd most popular sport.

And all we can do is sit back and watch it happen.

Telegraph:

I WAS talking with some mates around the barbecue the other night and the state of the economy came up.
A brickie I know, who has always been thrifty with his money, had a wonderful idea.
He said: “Let’s get the bloke who looks after the Roosters’ salary cap in charge of Australia.
“I don’t know who he is, or what he is on, but let’s get him. At any cost.”
Go to any club’s fan forum site and read what they are talking about.
They want to know how their club can spend the same money as the Roosters and other glamour clubs, and yet finish with a roster that isn’t in the same ballpark.
Are there really blokes out there so much smarter than their opposition?
This is not saying the Roosters are cheating, or other leading clubs for that matter. This is just pointing out facts.
The so-called salary cap that is designed to level out playing talent just isn’t working.
How is it that some club have so many State of Origin or international stars, while others are lucky to have a few?

Take this Sunday’s clash between the Roosters and the Raiders. I was looking through their teams as I sat down to do my tips on Thursday.
If any player in the Roosters backline, and the majority of their starting pack for that matter, went to the Raiders they would qualify as marquee signings.
Tuivasa-Sheck, Tupou, Jennings, Ferguson, Kenny-Dowall, Maloney, Pearce. Every one of them has played top-line rep footy. Throw in Cordner and Guerra, Waerea-Hargreaves and Moa.
It’s a good thing for the Raiders that Jake Friend is still out injured.
Meanwhile, the Raiders only current Origin or internationals are Josh Papalii and English recruit Josh Hodgson. Go figure.
You can only wonder what is keeping all this talent at Bondi.
I know the beaches and bars are great around Sydney’s east, and Trent Robinson is a terrific coach. But is Canberra’s money really that bad?
And it’s not just the Raiders struggling to attract stars. After three completed rounds this year what is most obvious is the Roosters and Rabbitohs are way ahead of the rest — and you have two, maybe three other teams, that can be considered outside premiership threats.
The rest make up the numbers, and the gap is getting wider. This is why something drastic needs to change.

A bloke who runs the roster at another club we haven’t mentioned here was talking me through what he’d be prepared to pay for every player in the Roosters’ top squad if they came on the market.
Now remember, the salary cap is $6.3 million.
By this well-informed source’s calculations, it would cost him more than $7.2 million to buy the Roosters’ top 17. Leaving 8 players still to account for under the cap.

He said that was being conservative, and not taking into account the real villain, third party agreements (TPAs).
He said it wasn’t necessarily teams cheating the cap, but how uncapped TPAs were making a mockery of talent distribution.
He is not the first bloke to make that point this year.
It’s true, some players will stay for less to play under a certain coach, or with a successful team to enhance their rep chances. Lifestyle and family are other considerations. Star prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves mentioned these as factors in turning down offers that would have made him the highest paid prop in the game (next to James Graham) to remain at the Bondi club. Being next to the beach aids recruitment also, with Joe Burgess (regarded as the best rugby league back in the UK) signing with the Roosters for 2016 ahead of 4 other NRL clubs.

But in respect to uncapped TPAs, while some clubs pull together close to $2 million a year to top up contracts, it’s a steep sliding scale and the battlers struggle to get $100,000. It does help when clubs like the Roosters have the who's who of the corporate world on the their football club board, not to mention a speed dial to Channel 9 head David Gyngell. And don't forget chairman Nick Politis widely regarded as the most powerful man in the game behind NRL CEO Dave Smith.
It’s a massive disparity. That may just be the reason how players like Daniel Tupou and Tuivasa-Sheck can both still be registered on contracts not worth a dollar over $140,000. And don't forget Blake Ferguson, previously on a contract worth over half million with the Raiders now registered for a one year, $150,000 deal - he says he is just "happy" to be given an opportunity with the Roosters. Some have argued the paid employment he had at the Roosters last year should have counted towards the salary cap - it didn't, even though it did help the Roosters secure his signature on deal dramatically below what other clubs had offered.

I asked another club boss for his thoughts. He said NRL rules stipulate when you sign a player you can’t guarantee TPAs. Then he laughed, everyone knows that’s a joke.
How else do clubs get players to agree if money isn’t guaranteed?
But who can prove it? What’s worse, who wants to prove it?
There is a possible solution if the NRL is brave enough to investigate.
I was told years back about a proposal put to the NRL suggesting the game introduce a player points system. The way it was to work was the NRL would evaluate each player and give them a points value.
Of course there would have to be concessions. For long service, local juniors, ageing players, developing stars, weighting the relative importance of all positions.
And the individual points ranking would have to be reviewed regularly, to take form into account.
Most importantly, though, the system was designed so that when each team ran out each week they could only have a squad that added up to so many points. To make games like this Sunday a more even contest.
It seemed like a good idea, but nothing came of it. Perhaps some powerful people might not have agreed it was a ‘fairer’ system for them. And it might not be perfect.
But ask yourself, is the salary cap working today?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/roosters-roster-proves-the-nrl-salary-cap-isnt-working-and-its-time-to-consider-how-it-can-change/story-fnp0lyn3-122727997468

Do people realise the recruitment manager for The Chooks is the very same recruitment manager at The Storm throughout the double contract signing saga?
Had no idea. Ridiculous.
Makes me realise the huge role a non-independent media play in this. Most of the RL 'journos' are nothing but sycophantic fans, wanting all the players and clubs to like them, really like them.
Until that changes the game will escape the kind of scrutiny the big sports get and will become more and more of a joke.

The points ideas in great in theory, but who decides the points value of each player, and how can would it be kept fair and honest.

As a hypothetical, say pick any 20 current NRL players and put the top player on 50 points and the worst on 5 points and then rank the rest in between assigning points how ever you see fit. Then if you got 10 of your mates and gave them the same 20 players and same system, you would likely get 10 quite different results.

Try this with 100 mates and results would vary again, and so on, the question is which would be the most correct result / points assignment.

If they bought in a points system, presumably they would have make the points of each player public, and this site would go into meltdown claiming such and such player is under valued, our players are over valued etc etc.

Any Risk Analyst could do the points weighting based on a Player at the time of his current contract signing. This means a Player who quickly rises, a la Chez in 2011, is able to be kept on the Club`s books at his rookie weighting till a new contract is registered.

The objective measures would be level of Team, time since playing at that level etc

These tables would need to be public.
The actual contract value is always subjective, but Clubs won`t be able to stockpile talent.

Actuaries do profiling like this everyday

The points ideas in great in theory, but who decides the points value of each player, and how can would it be kept fair and honest.

As a hypothetical, say pick any 20 current NRL players and put the top player on 50 points and the worst on 5 points and then rank the rest in between assigning points how ever you see fit. Then if you got 10 of your mates and gave them the same 20 players and same system, you would likely get 10 quite different results.

Try this with 100 mates and results would vary again, and so on, the question is which would be the most correct result / points assignment.

If they bought in a points system, presumably they would have make the points of each player public, and this site would go into meltdown claiming such and such player is under valued, our players are over valued etc etc.

You could always average out the points results in the end. For example, using the suggestion that you have pointed out above, if the points picked for 'Player #1' by you and your 10 mates were 27, 33, 16, 48, 50, 44, 26, 19, 35, 12, and 17 then after averaging out the points given 'Player #1' would end up with a 29.7 point average or 30 points if rounded to the nearest whole figure. You could then go on and do the same with Player #2 through to Player #20.

I could do it.

Without the 3rd party payments most of the top 25 players in the NRL would leave to RU or Super league.

They are needed to keep the talent happy with their $'s.
My issue is they are club specific, when in reality they should be NRL driven.

For example - Foran is 750 k salary cap cash, 300k MPA and 250k 3rd party.

Now using what I would implement for clubs interested in Forans signature;

If your a top 4 team (based on prior year) you allow 100k only 3rd party
If your a top 8 team 200K
If your a top 12 team 300k
Bottom 4 --- 400K

This will spread the talent around and the $CE's and $orans will get their bucks.

Should see some nice tanking going on then.

True, and AFL has certainly had its share of possible "tanking" over draft positions.

However, the talent redistribution in this model still gives the strugglers a hope - and the tankers would surely not benefit that greatly if the gap is only 100k per bracket.

Any team tanking from top 8 to bottom 4 would be shown up pretty quickly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6