Roberts from the Titans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mac

Everyone talking about how we need our new halves and the front row, but am not convinced we have enough very speedy backs….Snake can get through a gap and pass to someone else, or wrap around a back line move and score, but i really don't see any real flyers in our club….watching the highlights from the titans match this Roberts bloke has some real pace on him. I would be happy to part ways with Jorge/Blair/Wolf/Gutherson and get Tapou from the roosters and this Roberts guy if we could….or even go after the Alex Johnson from souths…..we seriously need pace. Killer/Matai/Hiku are all pretty slow and young Tom T is more skilful than quick…..i wish Kelly would pull his finger out and get someone that can run length of the field …..

A couple of things..
How many times have you seen Roberts run the length of the field? I can recall maybe be once earlier this year and once for souths 3 years ago. That's a small return for buying someone for the simple fact that they might score a long range try.

Further, Tom T outpaced Semi Rad in the 9's easily, and semi has scored plenty of long range tries for the Eels.

Also with the structured game we have these days, long range tries are not overly prevalent anymore....you're better off having some players that can run quickly over 40. Taufua did that last year out running Michael Morgan over 60 at Gosford, and Gutho ran for 50 with Morgan chasing to no avail in Townsville last year. Yeah Killer is slowing down and Matai is no speedster but they are smart and still offer plenty.

Snake managed a double against the Storm with Korobiete chasing so in 10 years I'm still yet to see him get caught from behind in the clear...he has definitely slowed down, but the great players always find a way to make it.

I can see your angle but I think we still do OK in this department and If the forwards put us in good field position and get a roll on, the desire for long range tries seems to subconsciously disappear.

Jeez Ryan, whats with the abuse rather play the man not the ball, bit hypocritical.

As for Roberts, his reading for intercepts is his best feature but not a well rounded player over all.

Fair dinkum the Titans are a basket case. James Roberts is now a free agent after a Titans staffer was found to have forged Roberts's signature on an amended contract.
@:D@:D@:D

To quote Chopper it looks like they've "done themselves a mischief"... But seriously that club needs to be shut down and relocated ASAP...

Lack of speed in the outside backs for Manly is a problem. Outside of Tom Trbojevic we really have no one currently who could do something like pick up a loose ball on our line and then go the length of the field to score without being caught.

Snake used to be able to do that before injuries and age caught up to him.

Outside of that, our backs are looking for support 50 metres upfield (or they're looking for the Shell Answer Man) because they don't have the stamina to sustain somewhere near top pace. And that is also a problem when they are chasing opposition flyers who've made a break. Quite often if we don't get them within the first 20-30 metres or so its a futile chase.

If prefer walker over Roberts.. Walker can defend and is a better all round player. Roberts had one breakout season due to nothing but his speed. And am afraid he has the syndrome if you know what I mean

Here's a fact... When James Roberts extended his deal for 2 years at the Gold Coast this year but Manly & Saints made a big play for his services. At the time he decided to stay because he felt he owed them for taking him in when nobody wanted him. The intention was to always come back to Sydney when the 2 years were up. He will most likely end up at Saints. McGregor is a massive fan and wants him badly. Let's see what unfolds. If he does leave the Gold Coast it will be Manly or Saints.

Everyone talking about how we need our new halves and the front row, but am not convinced we have enough very speedy backs….Snake can get through a gap and pass to someone else, or wrap around a back line move and score, but i really don't see any real flyers in our club….watching the highlights from the titans match this Roberts bloke has some real pace on him. I would be happy to part ways with Jorge/Blair/Wolf/Gutherson and get Tapou from the roosters and this Roberts guy if we could….or even go after the Alex Johnson from souths…..we seriously need pace. Killer/Matai/Hiku are all pretty slow and young Tom T is more skilful than quick…..i wish Kelly would pull his finger out and get someone that can run length of the field …..
Tom more skillful than quick? You obviously have not seen the catalogue of long distance tries he's scored!

Get Roberts this year and Walker next when Killer, Skivvy and perhaps snake go.........

Skivy I kinda expect will give it away after 2016. Killer and Snake after 2017.

We already have Snake's replacement in young Tommy ready to go. But he'll serve a couple of years on the wing before Snake retires (or decides to join Gifty in France for one last hurrah together. Though he has talked about getting to Ken Irvine's try scoring record so who knows?).

Walker isn't a bad player to have and can be very good defensively. I remember a game in 2014 when he gave Killer absolutely no room to move. Every time Killer touched the ball Walker was on him like Yogi on a picnic basket. It was one of the best defensive jobs I've ever seen anyone put on Killer.

Roberts with his speed wouldn't be a bad pick up either. Though I counter that his speed isn't over the length of the field, its more over 50. And he does need to improve defensively. It might have been the way the Tits play, but a number of times he gets caught out of position in defense. He did that against us late this season. Snake made one break and just ran straight past him. Roberts had no idea which way he went (though he'd have been in good company because Snake has done that to better players than Roberts in the past 10 years).

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7