Robert Lui halfback, Lote Tuqiri on wing for Tigers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Robert Lui halfback, Lote Tuqiri on wing for Tigers

* By Patrick Caruana
    * March 01, 2010
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/robert-lui-halfback-lote-tuqiri-on-wing-for-tigers/story-e6frexnr-1225835352227

WESTS Tigers coach Tim Sheens says young gun Robbie Lui will start the NRL season alongside Benji Marshall in the halves, with Lote Tuqiri to make his NRL comeback on the wing.

Lui, who turned 20 last week, has done enough in the Tigers' trials campaign to convince Sheens he should wear the number seven jersey when they open their season against Manly on March 15.

Lui, last year's Toyota Cup five-eighth of the year, starred as the Tigers comfortably downed Cronulla 36-12 in a trial at Gosford on Saturday night.

Sheens said Lui's performances meant he was likely to edge out Tuqiri and fellow young gun Tim Molten in the halves.

"The kid stepped up again," Sheens said.

"At the moment, I'd be looking at Timmy Moltzen at one (fullback), Robbie Lui and Marshall in the halves,

"That'd be the logical thing. That's probably where were going to go initially.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"I know what I'm going to do for game one pretty well."

Asked whether Tuqiri, who is yet to return from a stint of club rugby with English side Leicester, would likely make his comeback on the wing when he returns, Sheens replied "yes".

The Tigers have struggled to find a permanent halfback since premiership captain Scott Prince left for the Gold Coast.

Despite the lop-sided scoreline at Gosford, Sheens was hardly full of praise for his side, who are out to make the finals for the first time since 2005.

"We started poorly, and if they had have been stronger with the ball in hand, we would have been in a lot of trouble," he said.

"We need to do a fair bit more before we're happy.

"But we got through it without injury and we won it strongly."

I think we can win this one through the forwards. If our pack come out firing and can dominate the Tigers pack then that will cut down Marshall's and Farah's options. Will be a good test first up as the Tigers pack is pretty reasonable with Cayless, Gibbs, Galloway, Heighnington, Ellis, Fulton and Payton. We need Perry, King, Kite and Rose to stick it to their big men and stop them getting over the ad line. Should be a good game.

I actually hope Lote plays, he could be found wanting after a few years in Rugby wilderness and a long plane trip.

Same for Lui, from what I have seen of him he thinks tackle is something you take on a fishing trip.

Manly by 16

I hope Tony Williams is picked for us, could be good for his confidence to start against them after his season highlight try last time round. After last year's start to the year Des will not settle for anything less than a win in R1.

Wests Tigers star recruit Lote Tuqiri looks set to make a dramatic return in the opening round of the NRL season after securing an early release from English rugby union side Leicester.

Tuqiri will link up with his new Tigers team-mates next week, and despite having just a handful of training sessions under his belt, is a likely starter against Manly at the Sydney Football Stadium on March 15.

Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys confirmed the club had come to an agreement overnight with Leicester for an early release for the dual international, who was initially not due to return to Australia until April.

Tuqiri, who has not played in the NRL since quitting Brisbane after the 2002 season to switch to the 15-man game, will play his final match for Leicester against London Irish this weekend.

"It is terrific news and a real bonus for us on the eve of the 2010 season," Humphreys said.

"I greatly appreciate Leicester's cooperation in making it possible."

While Tuqiri has been absent from the NRL for seven seasons, coach Tim Sheens said he would have no hesitation in rushing him back into his squad given his match fitness would be high following his stint in the northern hemisphere.

Sheens this week hinted Tuqiri - who played 99 games for the Broncos from 1999-2002 - would start on the wing before a possible switch to full-back later in the season.

"Lote's arrival will give the team a real lift as we prepare for Manly," Sheens said.

"We will monitor his condition, but as long as he comes through the weekend's game injury free and recovers well from his flight, I would expect he would be involved in the round one match."

-AAP

its always nice to get a win on theboard round 1 but its not the end of the world if we dont

Fluffy link said:
its always nice to get a win on theboard round 1 but its not the end of the world if we dont
Taking over the Captain Obvious mantle from CW are we?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4