Robert Finch quits

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
He is quitting after the grand final.
Only problem McCallum, Clark & Harrigan are all after the job

Bill should be following him out the door.

We all know how Harrigan feels about Manly, Steve Clark is a biased Dogs supporter but I can't remember how I felt about Greg McCallum. He's probably the best of a bad bunch or is the memory just fading? It has to be 15 - 20 years since he retired, right?

I haven't heard this, would be interested in seeing a source? Really hope it's true. Clark and Halligan are all right, but McCullum is as deluded as Finch and Gallop.

They should hire someone from the Super League, at least then they wouldn't have an existing affiliation with a team.

It would be a crap job, but to measure anyones input in a role, you generally ask 1 simple question. Is the place in a better place when he left then when he arrived and the answer in my opinion is NO

ROBERT Finch has finally had enough and will step down as NRL referees coach at the end of the season.

After a turbulent eight-year reign overseeing the refereeing ranks, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Finch will walk away after the October 3 grand final. The constant public and media scrutiny on referees has taken a toll on the former St George centre.

Poor on-field performances by referees this year have not helped Finch's enthusiasm for the job.

NRL match review committee chairman Greg McCallum is favoured to take over the role, although fellow former referees Bill Harrigan and Steve Clark will also be contenders for one of the toughest jobs in the game.

Just yesterday, Finch had to yet again apologise for a refereeing blunder at the weekend.

Video referee Sean Hampstead has since been sacked from first grade for his error in awarding a try to Roosters centre Shaun Kenny-Dowall despite Sea Eagles centre Steve Matai being tackled without the ball in the same movement.

The NRL is yet to officially be told that Finch will step down.

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said: "We haven't addressed the issue regarding the referees coach

After a turbulent eight-year reign overseeing the refereeing ranks, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Finch will walk away after the October 3 grand final. The constant public and media scrutiny on referees has taken a toll on the former St George centre.

Poor on-field performances by referees this year have not helped Finch's enthusiasm for the job.

NRL match review committee chairman Greg McCallum is favoured to take over the role, although fellow former referees Bill Harrigan and Steve Clark will also be contenders for one of the toughest jobs in the game.

Just yesterday, Finch had to yet again apologise for a refereeing blunder at the weekend.

Video referee Sean Hampstead has since been sacked from first grade for his error in awarding a try to Roosters centre Shaun Kenny-Dowall despite Sea Eagles centre Steve Matai being tackled without the ball in the same movement.

The NRL is yet to officially be told that Finch will step down.

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said: "We haven't addressed the issue regarding the referees coach beyond this season. We have said openly to Robert that we will discuss it at the end of the season."

Finch has the full support of the referees but some privately feel it is time for a change after eight years.

The major issue confronting the NRL will be whether they appoint a former referee or an ex-first grade coach as Finch's replacement.

It's possible two of the three former referees, current NRL match review committee chairman McCallum, referees coaching assistant Harrigan and referee reviewer Clark, could work together in a partnership.

McCallum had six successful years as referees boss in the English Super League.

Harrigan and Clark are respected in the refereeing ranks, Harrigan adjudicating a record 10 grand finals.

Daily Telegraph

Robert Finch has had enough? FMD. It's the other way round ol Robbo mate. Hope you don't get a farewell gift. You have failed miserably in your role.

No accountability.

If Harrigan gets the job though. Maaaaaaaan

DT/
The major issue confronting the NRL will be whether they appoint a former referee or an ex-first grade coach as Finch's replacement.
DT

What does everyone think about this? Any possible contenders?
I think its a great idea, would put a fresh set of eyes looking at the problem from a relevant perspective.

Duff link said:
We all know how Harrigan feels about Manly, Steve Clark is a biased Dogs supporter but I can't remember how I felt about Greg McCallum. He's probably the best of a bad bunch or is the memory just fading? It has to be 15 - 20 years since he retired, right?

From memory, it was McCallum who awarded the infamous Kerrod Walters 'Basket Ball' try against Manly which directly resulted in the introduction of in-goal touch judges.

jwaa link said:
DT/
DT

I think its a great idea, would put a fresh set of eyes looking at the problem from a relevant perspective.

Give it to Ricky Stuart. Let's see if he can stuff that coaching up as well :p

DON'T GIVE IT TO EITHER 3 OF THEM!

THEY'VE ALL FUKCED UP TOO MANY TIMES IN THE PAST TO BE SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR THE JOB

TAKE 50 PREVIOUSLY MADE DICEY CALLS. ALL COACHES DECIDE ON THE CORRECT DECISION, MAJORITY WINS. HAVE AN OPEN APPLICATION.. PERSON WITH MOST CORRECT DECISIONS ON THE 50 PLAYS, THAT ALSO PASSES AN NRL RULES TEST GETS THE JOB

jwaa link said:
DT/
DT

Peter Louie (?? Spelling) was the refs boss years ago and as a former coach & I think player he was very good. My memory of his reign is that the refereeing wasn't too bad.

I say give the job to Beaver!!!!

Hope all your KPIs that you completely ignored during your time at the helm kick you squarely up the date on your way out finchy.

The refereeing system needs a major overhaul.  I can't see either of those 3 guys doing anything differently that what is done now.

They should give it to an outsider such as a coach or maybe someone from the UK.

mosto link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=184983.msg289285#msg289285 date=1283264360]

From memory, it was McCallum who awarded the infamous Kerrod Walters 'Basket Ball' try against Manly which directly resulted in the introduction of in-goal touch judges.
[/quote]

Im pretty sure that was Mick Stone

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6