Robbo and Oldfield

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Last year we faded away in the 2nd half, this year we are coming home strong.

If we didn't have the disruptions just before kick-off we win, but with the  personel tonight our future looks bright.

Chip & Chase link said:
Bit rough to be blaming Robbo for tonights loss.

Absolutely. It was T Rex's fault. The centre he would have been marking had he played scored three tries.

Robbo was no excitement machine last night I felt sorry for him because in attack he only got the ball when he had been left absolutely no room. The only option for him was to turn back in to three defenders. He has failed to hang on to about three high bombs that he was first up to this season but there wouldn't be many who would have put themselves in that position in the first place. He'll come good this year imo.

Oldfield is great, but anyone questioning Robbo's place in the side is seriously underestimating both his talent and his contribution to the team. There's nothing about him that's flash but he's an absolutely outstanding winger. He doesn't miss games (even when he's injured, he plays), he does everything that's asked of him (including filling at fullback, which is not his natural position), he's fast, safe under the high ball and scores a lot of tries. I'd take him ahead of just about any other winger in the comp.

Daddycool link said:
I'm not blaming Robbo for the loss, but his days of being one of the two best wingers in the club are behind him.  Wolfie, Hoppa, Oldfield and at this point I'd be inclined to say even T-Rex are in front of him.
T-rex? You can't be serious. Sure he can score tries when he concentrates, but he lets in as many as he scores. He is the Scott Donald of oversized Polynesian outside backs - without Donald's fleetfooted qualities.

Oldfield has the potential to play rep football IMO. Robbo has been a loyal servant, but we have seen over the last few weeks what an injection of youth has bought to the team.
Our best backline in my opinion -
1. Stewart
2. Oldfield
3. Lyon
4. Matai
5. Hopoate

FFS you blokes really know how to show loyalty to a player. Drop him after one dodgy game (and not as bad as some are saying) for a kid

Do you not think he deserves a chance?

I don't think Robbo was bad last night but we will have to make a tough call in the future.  IMO Oldfield is the logical choice as he is much younger.

Jeez, some tough judges on here! He may not be the Robbo of 2 or 3 years ago, but he rarely plays a bad game. I cant belive the depth we have in our backline. Des could keep rotating guys every week, and I'd be happy!

Wolfie is great when he's on the field, prior coming to Manly he was injury prone, he had a great 2008 but has only played a handful of games since.

Now do we persevere with him or bring Oldfield in?

We are going to struggle to keep some of these young guns next year due to salary cap constraints.
We're going to have to try and sign them as soon as possible before the price tag goes up.

Time for robbo to go no spark not quick off the mark, three tries 3yrs ago  ? can,t live in past get rid of him, gets run down when in clear if he,s in the side when Matai returns What kind of message to the youngsters busting thier guts.........

It says that once you get in the team there is some loyalty shown rather than being punted after one slightly dodgy game

Des is all about loyalty. Rose is a great example, hasn't set the world on fire but still in squad. He has been a big fan of Super Steve who has his series of injuries, suspensions etc.
It is a good quality as a leader and you can see the boys playing hard because of it, (compare Penrith)

However the battle is holding back Oldfield and Hoppa?? Good situation to be in, hard one with Robbo, wonderful servant of club, safe, reliable but who in 2011 has the most talent, robbo/oldfield.

The question remains how much better would Oldfield be with a run of games in first grade? Will he take off or make errors (like Ferguson) that lose games in a comp that demands win at all costs. 

For starters anyone blaming Robbo for any loss deserves an uppercut. People you can blame for a loss are the ones who dont have a dig & play at 60% of their ability & there is a few of them in every team including Manly - not Robbo - turns up to play & gives his all. Robbo is an elite finisher but i rate Oldfield very high - in fact in limited games similar standard to Wolf at this stage. My choice based on youth, speed, size & rapid improvement is Oldfield - tough call tho with Robbo a proven finisher & squeezing into the corner for many tries other wingers would not have claimed. There is a valid arguement both ways on this debate.

lsz link said:
FFS you blokes really know how to show loyalty to a player. Drop him after one dodgy game (and not as bad as some are saying) for a kid

Don't worry mate, Oldfield will have a poor game sometime soon and will be rated as not up to it

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=lsz link=topic=187252.msg329780#msg329780 date=1301701650]

Don't worry mate, Oldfield will have a poor game sometime soon and will be rated as not up to it
[/quote]

Exactly, we win and everyone is happy, we lose and players need to be scraped lmao. I was actually happy with the loss to the bunnies, why?, because we were missing some key players and we still fought back which is something we didn't do last year. I see so many great young players coming though, with Foran, Buhrer, Oldfield and Robinson playing so well there is alot to look forward to especially when Snake gets back to 100%, we REALLY missed him on Friday night.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6