1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RL news today

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by ManlyBacker, Nov 12, 2009.

1. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    Dallas Johnson has accepted an offer "too good to refuse" and signed a three-year contract with Super League club Catalans Dragons in France. His contract was until the end of 2011 but Storm have let him go. A very good player. I am amazed at how the Storm keep making the finals with the level of their losses each year.

Dell has hung up his boots. "Dual international Wendell Sailor has announced his retirement from professional sport, thanking his NRL club St George Illawarra for helping him to find "redemption". Sailor, 35, said he felt the time was right to quit, although he believed he could have played on for another year in the NRL." I actually think he definitely had another year in him. Putting up with his media basking can get too much sometimes but it was good to see a character liven up the crowds the way he did.

Big Willie looks like he is also going to leave the NRL. The Chooks don't want him. I would have signed him. Someone like Des could turn him completely around but there is no doubt you would take on an unknown liability, even under a Manly regime.

I am also looking forward to the 4 Nations final this weekend. Choc looks like being relegated to the bench with Gallen and Lewis starting. Sheens is insisting Gidley will play some part (but oh god why?) and Jennings may miss out completely with Hodges listed as starting. The funniest part of the game will be the ref - with Kiwi Leon Williamson, an Auckland based kickboxing plumber who referees NSW Cup at weekends, getting the gig ahead of Hayne (well he is a biased Aussie in the eyes of the Poms). The atmosphere should be terrific but hopefully we can keep the crowd quiet.

2. ManlyBacker

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    Meanwhile, there was no news that Manly captain Matty Orford had come to terms with the club. His signature is now expected just prior to the 'end of days' Mayan prophecy in December 2012.

3. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,767 / 72
    As far as i know there has been no official annoucnement that matt has joined the club from the Storm, so I dont expect any further confirmations going forward

4. OneEyedEagle

OneEyedEagle Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    No thanks to Mason. RL is a team sport and Mason has no concept or meaning of the word TEAM PLAYER.

5. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    Mason was a team player with the bulldogs

6. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Shame to see Dell go, he grew on me over the last year and was good to have a character on the park again, some of the stuff he did had me cracking up, my favourite walking a kick return back at the Warriors

I go to quite a few of the provincal games in NZ, and have seen Leon Williamson a few times. He isn't completely hopeless, but does rule the game very strongly so I am picking plenty of penalties, and he doesn't take any crap either so Thurston will want to keep his mouth shut

7. Crusher_Cleal

Crusher_Cleal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +555 / 17
    He's a character, but I won't be too sad to see the back of Dell (no pun intended), why he gets more  publicity for his on-field exploits than someone like Robbo is a travesty, regardless of his off-field fame. I wouldn't mind having Mason at Brookie, but it's his $$$ I'd have a problem with, not necessarily his image, although in saying that, he's not the player he was before his knee-op, he lacks the leg drive now that once made him so good.

8. OneEyedEagle

OneEyedEagle Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    AHH... Thats right, thats why he walked out on them.

9. Pepi

Pepi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 20
    Travis Burns signed with the Panthers.

10. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    Way to miss the point One Eye...

11. Rambo1987

Rambo1987 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 2
    Dallas Johnson is being released so the Storm can have a play at Watmough next year. Why would they release one of their best players who still has 2 years to run on his contract. Choc will be offered the world to go there.. Believe it

12. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,136 / 289
    Bailey / Rodney / Stewart / Lussick / Galuvao are still a good 2nd row rotation regardless of Watmough.

Lets not over-hype the guy. Yes, he has turned into a decent player - but still has his lapses, and gives away penalties.

He's not the be all and end all on this team. I'd rather us ensure that we get our 1/2's right 1st and foremost.

13. Stiffi

Stiffi Active Member 2016 Tipping Competitor 2015 Tipping Competitor

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WTF, You can't be serious

14. The Wheel

Ratings:
    +1,767 / 72
    Based upon Manly Daily today re Vic Morrow and assuming Ox, Wolfy Robbi=o are retained our Top 25 is;

Hoppa Jnr
    Cherry Evans
    Bruheur
    Lussick
    Morrow
    Cross
    Joe G
    Seu Seu
    Stewart B
    Stewart G
    Robbo
    Wolfman
    Farrar
    Lyon
    Matai
    Foran
    Ox
    Choc
    Baily
    Rodney
    Kite
    Teddy
    ballin
    George
    Kingy

Have I missed anyone?

15. The Wheel

Ratings:
    +1,767 / 72
    Possibly Sulinua & Hodgkinson

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tony Williams.

17. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    That wasn't an oversight !

18. deadlyeagle

deadlyeagle Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Ha wasnt he the buy of the season paying 200K for a reserve grader  :p

19. ManlyBacker

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    Catalans Dragons have followed up the signing of Melbourne Storm loose forward Dallas Johnson with the capture of New Zealand international Setaimata Sa.

The 22-year-old had two years left on his contract with Sydney Roosters but has been released as part of an exchange deal involving Dragons prop Jason Ryles.

Sa, who has signed a two-year contract, won four caps with the Kiwis and was a member of their victorious World Cup squad but was dropped from their Four Nations touring party after appearing in court charged with a series of alcohol-fuelled offences, including assaulting a female police officer.