Risk V Reward

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I've raised the issue of the short kick-off before, with most posters saying it is too risky. That's why ever kickoff is the boring long one. Until, of course, a team needs to score.

Well, the short kick-off turned today's match in Illawarra's favour.

And that mindset, where risk is never contemplated until it's desperation stakes, is a major problem our game faces. Game plans these days are take five tackles without losing position then put up a bomb and hope.

I was delighted, and surprised, to see Illawarra kick over the top on a tap restart, and were really unlucky not to score. Let's have more of these surprise tactics, such as kicking from a scrum.

I agree Who.. You would have to look at the law of averages, but I reckon the short kick off should be used more often.

The other one I don't understand is why a team down by 8, with say 5 to go, gets a penalty within kicking range and they don't take the kick. You have to score twice to get back in the game. Why not take the two on offer. Puts extra pressure on the opposition as you are now within striking distance and you are back in the game.

But invariably they take the tap, knock on, game over.

T-Rex and Dce are pretty good at them I'd love to see us kick off with one on Friday night.

If manly were up 20-8 on friday night and dce took a short kick off would it bother you?

To me it's no different to putting up a midfield bomb. Anyone's ball.

It wouldnt bother me.

I agree there is little risk. The long kick sees the ball returned to the 20m. At worst the team is losing 20metres with a 20% chance of getting the ball.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6