RIP Rex Mossop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It was the theme song from Shaft.

did anyone see rex play? from all accounts, including his own, he was a hard bastard. He was sent off in a gf (no mean feat) along with Harry Bath.

His commentary was pretty funny and not always intentionally. but he did innovate league coverage quite a bit, developing the slo mo replay, the multiple camera coverage (well, two) and generally jazzing it up from the very long shot single camera days.

I once played touch footy against him early on a sunday morning at district park; he must have been well into his 50s then but still wily and feisty! held his own in both play and in the banter vs all the smart arse young blokes.

Some classic Rex tautoligies from a 2001 Alex Buzo (late playright and RL fan) speech on the theme of Sydney as the RL capital:

'Give him a verbal tongue-lashing, let me recapitulate back to what happened previously, he seems to have suffered a groin injury at the top of his leg, they're going laterally across field, that kick had both height and elevation, I've never seen him live in the flesh, there he is, hopping on one leg, what a pity — he's been a positive asset, they've been going on about it ad nauseam — that means forever, I've had to switch my mental thinking, I'm sick and tired of all this violence-bashing, that referee's got glaucoma of the eyes, I don't want to pre-empt what I've already said, I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it.'

I have an Alex Buzo book called 'Tautology' and it contained mythic contests (from 1977-83) where Rex would go up against challengers like Norman May and win the tautology crown every time with entries like the ones above. Great stuff.

Rex was apparently a pretty good ball playing forward after his stint in England, not particularly fast but quite clever and tough. Used to run at holes and put players through them, which wasn't necessarily the Australian way in the late 50s/early 60s. I met Sir Nick Shehadie a few years ago and he had a few stories about Rex from their 1949 Wallaby tour of NZ. They beat the All Blacks in a series in NZ for the first time. Admittedly most of their best players were in Sth Africa at the time and the Blacks were essentially a second fifteen.

I seem to remember Rex hosting a special morning show on Channel 7 when the Warringah Expressway opened in 1968. He hosted a variety show around that time on Saturday nights also.

Will never forget the start of the football telecast from 1975-82, with a rich baritone voice announcing "Welcome to Seven's Big League, with your host, Rex Mossop!" Launching into the 'Theme from Shaft' music at the same time.

Used to see him up in the KA Stand when we had seats there during the 2007 season. Still a very imposing man at that time. Does anyone else have the 50th anniversary doco tape on Manly with Rex narrating?

Goldie, in Rex's book he related how he started in 1st grade at the Manly Blues at 15 in 1943. It was due to the shortage of players due to the War.
Alwasys had a great rivalry with Harry Bath too, from their time playing league in England, which spilled over into those 1950s grand finals.

I grew up watching and listenning to Rex on Sevens Big League and felt very sad to hear of his passing this morning. Rex like Frank Hyde was a big part of my early youth and I think people who remember him will miss him.

He was a true legend who loved Manly.

Rex was a legend. Was great on 10 and 7 back in the 70s. Was colourful and called it like it is. I also loved Controversy Corner with Barry Ross, Ferris Ashton and ???.

i spoke to him during 2009 when he came into the gate though he was starting to go downhill then.

This is a sad day for the club and I hope that appropriate accolades are accorded on Monday night. Smash Parra for the Moose!!!!

Controversy corner: compulsory sunday morning viewing in the 70s!

Rex lording it over a decrepit crew of ex players, a journo and a ref.

The afore-mentioned ferris ashton: seedy looking former easts plugugly in a cheap suit (most valuable contribution was in the rehearsed ad for 'Viking Saunas' they did at the end of every CC, where they'd show a pic of a glamour babe lying around in a towel in the sauna and cut to Ferris saying how much he'd just enjoyed his last Viking sauna...);

col peirce, ex-ref who had sent rex off a few times as we were often re-minded;
alan clarkson; smh journo who got the sack from CC (or at least a hefty suspension) for being found out doing a match summary of a game he hadn't been at. now THAT was controversial.

Someone else maybe (don't remember barry ross though; he was the co-commentator who appeared later on in Seven's big league and subsequently)

CC was followed by the commonwealth bank passing competition (when the ball went through the bullseye an elephant roared). fred jones won it one year for a trip for 2 to the gold coast.

Rex brought touch footy to Australia. Apparently not played here in an organized fashion until he brought it back from the uk. According to his biography. Sad to see Rex go.

Loved the Moose. Sad day for Manly to see the passing of a true club legend. My favourite Mossopism was "it's deja vu all over again". Let's hope something special happens on Monday, what better way to send off Rex then a complete and utter smashing of the old enemy, Parra. The big fella would love that.

Vale Rex.

art_rex_mossop729-420x0.jpg

Ian Martin tragic said:
Someone else maybe (don't remember barry ross though; he was the co-commentator who appeared later on in Seven's big league and subsequently)
Frank Hyde was often a guest

Rip Rex, a truly larger than life figure in Australian sports history.

He was a major contributor in building up the hatred of Manly by other fans, a fact we now revel in.

Julian Clary has tweeted RIP Rex Mossop (I'm sure everyone remember's the interview with Rex and Julian on the Vizard show)

yes ned kelly was there.
rex had a job to do at that vizard stunt with julian clary and did not disappoint.
I preferred rex on one of elle mcfeast's docos about sexuality or men or whatnot. those two had chemistry!

Ian Martin tragic said:
yes ned kelly was there.
rex had a job to do at that vizard stunt with julian clary and did not disappoint.
I preferred rex on one of elle mcfeast's docos about sexuality or men or whatnot. those two had chemistry!
Never found Vizard funny. Rex was set up and all Vizard proved was what an arrogant, self satisfied, smirking prick he was.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2