RIP Phil Hughes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Volley said:
Snake said:
Ralphie said:
Snake said:
The reason why this death has generated so much coverage, is because (1) he is a celebrity; duh! and (2) it highlights the fragility of life; you can be here one minute and gone the next. If Hughes had suffered from cancer for 12-18 months and died slowly in a bed, there would be mourning, sure, but not of the degree we have seen this past week. People are shocked because he was 63 not out in the middle of a cricket pitch, got hit by a ball and never woke up. It's a crazy set of circumstances that one can be forgiven for still trying to comprehend.

Whether it has been over-reported or not, is of no consequence to me, and shouldn't really be to anyone else either for that matter; it can surface in the media for the next 100 years and it won't make a lick of difference to my wellbeing.

Never said it was over reported, just said it was disproportionate. He also wasn't much of a celebrity either, but I don't want to offend in any way so I'll leave it be.

well you knew who he was, and so did Elton John. I don't care one bit for cricket and I knew who he was. It makes no difference whether he was a A list hollywood actor, or a Australian cricketer; masses of people knew who he was and that's why it is getting so much coverage.

One thing that did strike me about the reporting of this death, was the growing media frenzy around Michael Clarke. I don't doubt that Clarke and Hughes were mates, but the media were all over him like a cheap suit. I think Clarke being such a maligned figure in media circles, reporters took the opportunity to sell stories by showing another side of the Australian captain. Only this side was manufactured to a degree. I mean lets be real about this; he read a statement off a piece of paper, and they called it great leadership?!

Run along Snake. From all reports, Clarke did a lot more than just read a statement.

how ironic ;)

I am not criticising Clarke, more the way he has been portrayed as some kind of hero in the media simply for doing what anyone else in his position would do. But anyway, it's not as if I am losing sleep over it, I just find the media an interesting beast; they sensationalise ones strengths as much as they sensationalise ones weaknesses.

Snake said:
Ralphie said:
Snake said:
The reason why this death has generated so much coverage, is because (1) he is a celebrity; duh! and (2) it highlights the fragility of life; you can be here one minute and gone the next. If Hughes had suffered from cancer for 12-18 months and died slowly in a bed, there would be mourning, sure, but not of the degree we have seen this past week. People are shocked because he was 63 not out in the middle of a cricket pitch, got hit by a ball and never woke up. It's a crazy set of circumstances that one can be forgiven for still trying to comprehend.

Whether it has been over-reported or not, is of no consequence to me, and shouldn't really be to anyone else either for that matter; it can surface in the media for the next 100 years and it won't make a lick of difference to my wellbeing.

Never said it was over reported, just said it was disproportionate. He also wasn't much of a celebrity either, but I don't want to offend in any way so I'll leave it be.

well you knew who he was, and so did Elton John. I don't care one bit for cricket and I knew who he was. It makes no difference whether he was a A list hollywood actor, or a Australian cricketer; masses of people knew who he was and that's why it is getting so much coverage.

One thing that did strike me about the reporting of this death, was the growing media frenzy around Michael Clarke. I don't doubt that Clarke and Hughes were mates, but the media were all over him like a cheap suit. I think Clarke being such a maligned figure in media circles, reporters took the opportunity to sell stories by showing another side of the Australian captain. Only this side was manufactured to a degree. I mean lets be real about this; he read a statement off a piece of paper, and they called it great leadership?!

Actually, the honest truth is that I had never heard of him until this happened.

I know the Clarke family, went on a Cruise with his father Les and a group of other friends and the family feel the same way about the media that I imagine the Stewart family feels about the media.

I'd like channel nine to allow us to move on from this tragedy

Don't get me wrong I'm hurting as much as the next paceman who rattles cages over his death, I've felt good about hurting others in physically dominant bowling displays, I've enjoyed seeing pain, I've hurt people to the point they had to be driven to hospital and on the outside big smiles have covered my concern for the people I've injured, i wanted to hurt them but i never wanted to do lasting damage

Can i attack a batsman in this fashion again? Can i even bowl again knowing that rattling a cage might end a life? One in a billion shot but I'm not sure i can take those odds on another life

I can't take any more of this, i feel for his family and mates but for 2 weeks it's been all about this subject, the media have milked it dry and i simply can't continue to follow the story, it's too sad and hurts too much, please media allow this nations wounds to heal

cherry_poppins said:

Don't get me wrong I'm hurting as much as the next paceman who rattles cages over his death, I've felt good about hurting others in physically dominant bowling displays, I've enjoyed seeing pain, I've hurt people to the point they had to be driven to hospital and on the outside big smiles have covered my concern for the people I've injured, i wanted to hurt them but i never wanted to do lasting damage

Can i attack a batsman in this fashion again? Can i even bowl again knowing that rattling a cage might end a life? One in a billion shot but I'm not sure i can take those odds on another life

I can't take any more of this, i feel for his family and mates but for 2 weeks it's been all about this subject, the media have milked it dry and i simply can't continue to follow the story, it's too sad and hurts too much, please media allow this nations wounds to heal

Bowling bouncers on the Playstation don't count mate

Bomack44 said:
cherry_poppins said:

Bowling bounces on the Playstation don't count mate

Classless

Not the time or the place and i don't feel the need to clarify my true spot in the cricketing world to you, plus it's spelt bouncers,a poor amazing guy loses his life and you use that as a vehicle for a personal vendetta, such a pathetic waste of oxygen you are

lsz said:
If you think about it the reaction has been completely understandable

I would argue that cricket is the only true national game in Australia. League and afl are not national (despite what they say) and football has a way to go. It is the one game almost everyone has played at some stage.
Aside from other factors mentioned, the fact that it was televised and we all could see graphic images of the sickening blow and watch the poor bloke drop like a stone may be part of it too. That image is hard to forget.

Good point - and it is something (the hit not the after) that is so common in the game

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6