RIP Phil Hughes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's very easy to get emotional over this most tragic death. The world has lost a quintessential 'good bloke'.

However, I must agree that it has been over reported. Every single day innocent people, women and children in Gaza are being slaughtered in their own land by an idealistic regime ..... yet we hear very little.

Let us put things into context, yes a tragic tragic event, but the world is awash with stories that need to behold.

Didn't we talk about Peter Brock's death for a week or so???

And the difference is????

Cricket is the one true Australian game, played in every country town, every regional centre, every state, played by kids, girls, indoor, outdoor, and getting a "Baggy Green" is one the highest honours in sport.

I get why Australia is in mourning, sorry you don't TC, but you'll have to suck it up because there's at least another week to go!!

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/top-hockey-player-lizzie-watkins-dies-after-being-hit/story-e6frfkvr-1226348625283

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-30/umpire-dies-after-being-struck-by-cricket-ball/5928714

Wombat Legacy said:
Those who contributed to negativity in this thread-hang your heads in shame.
It was set up for comments honouring a fine Australian sportsman.

I include the original negative post, and some of the usual protagonists. Post support or post "nothing"

RIP Philip-#408...respect!

There was no negativity whatsoever ease up a tad.

JL was a tough little bugger as well. I can see why him and Hughes hit it off, a lot of similarities between the two of them.

I have watched the media coverage and teared up at the many emotional moments during his funeral service.

I can imagine batsman saluting Phil whenever they reach 63 becoming a tradition in Australian if not world cricket from now on.

A tragic turn of events no doubt about it.

My very best to his family, but I am a little perplexed as to why this tragic incident is so much more newsworthy and over so many days than the brief coverage given in the local paper to the bloke killed in a car accident right in front of me last Wednesday.

I say again, I'm not taking away from this even, but the difference is interesting.

Ralphie said:

My very best to his family, but I am a little perplexed as to why this tragic incident is so much more newsworthy and over so many days than the brief coverage given in the local paper to the bloke killed in a car accident right in front of me last Wednesday.

I say again, I'm not taking away from this even, but the difference is interesting.

Maybe the fact he was a well known public figure had just a tiny bit to do with that. Just guessing.

bones said:
Ralphie said:

Maybe the fact he was a well known public figure had just a tiny bit to do with that. Just guessing.

I get that, but I struggle to reconcile how disproportionate it all seems.

Even if you take the celebrity aspect out of it the fact he died from an injury playing cricket (I mean how often does that happen) compared to a car accident which is a fairly common occurance.

The reason why this death has generated so much coverage, is because (1) he is a celebrity; duh! and (2) it highlights the fragility of life; you can be here one minute and gone the next. If Hughes had suffered from cancer for 12-18 months and died slowly in a bed, there would be mourning, sure, but not of the degree we have seen this past week. People are shocked because he was 63 not out in the middle of a cricket pitch, got hit by a ball and never woke up. It's a crazy set of circumstances that one can be forgiven for still trying to comprehend.

Whether it has been over-reported or not, is of no consequence to me, and shouldn't really be to anyone else either for that matter; it can surface in the media for the next 100 years and it won't make a lick of difference to my wellbeing.

Snake said:
The reason why this death has generated so much coverage, is because (1) he is a celebrity; duh! and (2) it highlights the fragility of life; you can be here one minute and gone the next. If Hughes had suffered from cancer for 12-18 months and died slowly in a bed, there would be mourning, sure, but not of the degree we have seen this past week. People are shocked because he was 63 not out in the middle of a cricket pitch, got hit by a ball and never woke up. It's a crazy set of circumstances that one can be forgiven for still trying to comprehend.

Whether it has been over-reported or not, is of no consequence to me, and shouldn't really be to anyone else either for that matter; it can surface in the media for the next 100 years and it won't make a lick of difference to my wellbeing.
Much better answer than mine

Snake said:

Never said it was over reported, just said it was disproportionate. He also wasn't much of a celebrity either, but I don't want to offend in any way so I'll leave it be.

As I've already stated, the news of his death hit me very hard. Perhaps in part because I played a lot of cricket and now watch my son play. When I saw this thread, I contributed to it because it seemed like the appropriate place to do so.
I'm also aware, there are those who don't share my sentiments and that is their perogative. However, perhaps this thread is not the most appropriate place to express them.

Ralphie said:
Snake said:

Never said it was over reported, just said it was disproportionate. He also wasn't much of a celebrity either, but I don't want to offend in any way so I'll leave it be.

well you knew who he was, and so did Elton John. I don't care one bit for cricket and I knew who he was. It makes no difference whether he was a A list hollywood actor, or a Australian cricketer; masses of people knew who he was and that's why it is getting so much coverage.

One thing that did strike me about the reporting of this death, was the growing media frenzy around Michael Clarke. I don't doubt that Clarke and Hughes were mates, but the media were all over him like a cheap suit. I think Clarke being such a maligned figure in media circles, reporters took the opportunity to sell stories by showing another side of the Australian captain. Only this side was manufactured to a degree. I mean lets be real about this; he read a statement off a piece of paper, and they called it great leadership?!

Snake said:
Ralphie said:
Snake said:

well you knew who he was, and so did Elton John. I don't care one bit for cricket and I knew who he was. It makes no difference whether he was a A list hollywood actor, or a Australian cricketer; masses of people knew who he was and that's why it is getting so much coverage.

One thing that did strike me about the reporting of this death, was the growing media frenzy around Michael Clarke. I don't doubt that Clarke and Hughes were mates, but the media were all over him like a cheap suit. I think Clarke being such a maligned figure in media circles, reporters took the opportunity to sell stories by showing another side of the Australian captain. Only this side was manufactured to a degree. I mean lets be real about this; he read a statement off a piece of paper, and they called it great leadership?!

Run along Snake. From all reports, Clarke did a lot more than just read a statement.

If you think about it the reaction has been completely understandable

I would argue that cricket is the only true national game in Australia. League and afl are not national (despite what they say) and football has a way to go. It is the one game almost everyone has played at some stage.

I love league but I have never played it.

Almost all of us have played the game, and most likely, have either played without a helmet or never considered the chance of a more serious injury other than a bruise. Combine that with a young man, by all accounts a very decent young man, dying as a result of a freak accident.

It makes everyone consider their own mortality and confirm the fragility of life. As for comparing it to a car accident no life is worth more than others, but like it or not, we are a society that is jaded over car crashes etc (I work in advertising and the hardest spots to make are public safety as people have stopped caring)

Re clarke I can not understand the criticism. From what I have read and heard he

1. Spent pretty much his whole time at the hospital with the family
2. Spent time with Abott
3. Has spent a heap of time supporting others

It seems as if people forget that these guys are in the main young men, likely dealing with their first death of a friend (who died doing what they have defined their life by). Considering this Clarke has been immense

Finally, much like tc's comments I would also suggest that this is not the appropriate time to discuss an issue so many of us feel affected by

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2