1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Arthur Beetson

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    BREAKING NEWS: Police have confirmed league great Arthur Beetson has died of a heart attack.

2. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    Yeah, I just heard the same thing on the radio. RIP Artie. Sympathies to your family.

3. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,404 / 130
    Very sad.

My first rugby league hero.

I remember Manly playing Parra at Brookie in 1979 or 1980 and Arthur Beetson and Terry Randall played reserve grade, both coming back from injury. It was the most people I have seen watch a regular season reserve grade match. Everybody held their breath when either made a tackle or a hit up.

What a great man Arthur was.

4. Clint

Clint . Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,654 / 14
    oh man. That's terrible news. Before my time so never really saw him play but his legend speaks for him. RIP Artie.

5. MK Eagle

MK Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +247 / 0
    This legend set the tone for all great ball playing fowards. Had the ability to play before - through & after the line. If he was playing today would be 1 of the elite in the game & most importantly has been a great ambassedor of the game - maybe could be considered when people talk about future immortals of rugby league.

6. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    He already is an immortal mate

7. MK Eagle

MK Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +247 / 0
    Damn - maybe he deserves 2 spots Bones, or maybe I need an uppercut or 10.

8. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    He was added in 2004.

9. The Eagle

The Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 0
    RiP he is in a better place

10. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,766 / 72
    Artie will be sadly missed - Great player, great character and by all reports a top bloke too - he can be credited with starting SOO and the many fierces clashes that have followed.

11. BOZO

BOZO Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,845 / 192
    R.I P, Artie,

12. Blowfly

Blowfly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 5
    One of the greats! Gone but never forgotten. RIP Big Artie!

13. TWO DOGS

TWO DOGS Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Berry
    Ratings:
    +429 / 1
    He absolutely dominated games but he hated Manly.

14. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    For a Queenslander he wasn't a bad bloke. He can claim credit for giving Origin some credibility when he clocked his then teammate Mick Cronin in the very first game. One of the true characters of the game and one of the best ever ball playing forwards. RIP.

15. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,404 / 130
    He was impossible to get to the ground, if he didnt slip a pass, they could never get him to the ground.

I doubt even the Storm would be able to bring him to his knees let alone roll him on his back.

A man of honour and integrity, the likes of which is very rare.

16. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,533 / 32
    True legend of the game.

17. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Heard a funny anecdote about Artie, but i can't remember who was telling the story now. Anyway it was after he retired and was playing a game of bush footy somewhere in Queensland, about 30kg overweight and no match fitness. He carves up the opposition in the first half, attracting defenders like flies and slipping balls away like it's going out of fashion......they just can't get him to ground. Half time comes and the oppositon are wondering how they are going to stop him. Their coach comes up with a master plan, we'll let him run !! Kick off second half, ball goes to Artie, they all hang off him and cover his support players, so Artie has to go the whole 90+ meters to score. That's all she wrote for the big fella.....wasn't seen again for the rest of the game. LOL.....not sure how much truth is in the story, but a good one none the less.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joey

Joey Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    RIP Artie, was only a week ago I was @ Paradise Point and we saw the big man on his bike riding around and even then he had enough time to give a wave and say hello.

19. MANLY4LIFE

MANLY4LIFE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +383 / 6
    RIP big fella one of the "opposition" i always respected always seemed like a humble bloke

20. Earnie the Eagle

Earnie the Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +359 / 16
    Artie Beetson was a real loveable larriken whose passion for the game and especially for Queensland stands out for me. He really showed what Origin was all about when he smashed his best mate Mick Cronin in the first game in 1980..a true legend now at peace.