Riddell to sign with Tigers and the inconsistency of NRL.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Riddell is about to sign with the West Tigers as a backup for Farah. The thing that stinks is that Riddell won't be in the squad of 25 but signed on a second-tier contract.

Is this not breaching the cap rules? I think the max payment on a second-tier contract is 50k. Aren't they supposed sign players for their true value.

As much as I hate Inglis isn't it one of the problems that souths want to register his contract as him getting paid 190k with 3rd party sponsorship on top of that for 2011 but the NRL are saying that they are undervaluing him.

I think it's time where players are valued by a points system as to what they are worth to make it a more level playing field with 3rd party sponsorship scrapped with concessions for juniors, long term players for a club and and increase in the cap grant from the NRL once the new broadcasting deal is sorted out.

Surely Piggy wouldn't play for just $50,000 a season; it would mean he'd have to get a second job.
Very strange. But then, what isn't when it comes to the salary cap?

I must say the waters are getting more muddy every day, and not just because of the extra rain!!

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I must say the waters are getting more muddy every day, and not just because of the extra rain!!

It has become an off-field distraction that is starting to sway my opinion about having a cap. If the league could introduce another couple of teams into Brisbane to even out their influence over corporate backing etc then perhaps we just say: let the clubs go their hardest. The weak will fail. Currently the cap is really just propping up the weak anyway.
Not sure, it's a debate that should be had.

I've said it before we need a points system that would be the first limb with an attached salary cap as the second limb.  For example top 25 players could be rated to a maximum of 25,000 points and second tier players a total of 15,000 points.  With points concessions for long-term players and junior developed etc.

The only reason the salary c(r)ap has 'worked' is because no one has challenged it as a restriction of trade.

I do also take up your point that Keynesian economic theory would support the concept of the strong surviving and the weak falling over.  But I wonder how we'd feel if Manly was a weak club.  Emotion runs league not economics.  I couldn't see myself following any other team if Manly wasn't around.

I reckon a few people would have been a bit sus when we signed Lyon on top of ox, beaver, kite, etc... On another note I sat next to Riddell at the 08 Gf he was wearing a Manly shirt, he was there with Glenn Hall's brother cheering on the mighty sea eagles.

Barry Hyland link said:
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=186097.msg308919#msg308919 date=1291767793]

It has become an off-field distraction that is starting to sway my opinion about having a cap. If the league could introduce another couple of teams into Brisbane to even out their influence over corporate backing etc then perhaps we just say: let the clubs go their hardest. The weak will fail. Currently the cap is really just propping up the weak anyway.
Not sure, it's a debate that should be had.
[/quote]

I fear that we are one of the financially weak being protected.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, as imperfect as the cap is, if we get rid of it, Brisbane will have the Qld SOO Team / Australian Test team and Souths will have the rest. I don't fancy watching that GF every year.

swoop link said:
I think it's time where players are valued by a points system as to what they are worth to make it a more level playing field with 3rd party sponsorship scrapped with concessions for juniors, long term players for a club and and increase in the cap grant from the NRL once the new broadcasting deal is sorted out.

That would work.  Assuming there isn't bias in the valuing of players.  Not sure I'm comfortable with Gallop being in charge of valuing Storm, Broncos, or Manly player values without bias.

A free-market system of doing similar is auctioning players, with the highest bidder winning and the full bid going into their salary cap.  Some small adjustments may be allowed for long-serving players, player discretion, etc.

So will about 10 other clubs.  That's why the rich clubs put up with it (subject to the ways and means they have developed to get around it) and don't challenge it in Court.  There are only so many News Ltd's and Russell Crowes in this world, and Australia doesn't have anywhere near the population of the US so Australian sport will never generate the kind of revenue they can generate over there.

Abolish the cap completely and pretty soon you would have a 6 team competition, which would make the whole code a laughing stock.

A salary cap in some form is beneficial for everyone in the long run.  Some players may disagree, but the alternative would be for them to be paid 3x their current salary for a few years and shortly afterwards it would be the death of RL in Australia.

However I think everyone must acknowledge that the cap isn't working in its present form and needs a serious overhaul.

I would imagine The Penn family are more wealthy than Russell Crowe. They may not have his passion to invest in a football team, but I think they'd have the resources.

Barry Hyland link said:
Surely Piggy wouldn't play for just $50,000 a season; it would mean he'd have to get a second job.
Very strange. But then, what isn't when it comes to the salary cap?

He has spent a few years in England on big coin so wouldn't be short of a buck

He has come home to be with his mum I think it is who is quite sick so footy and money probably wouldn't be the be all and end all at this point

I'm not suggesting that the cap should be scrapped. 3rd party sponsorship should be scrapped or at least capped say at 500k with individual players only to receive no more than 100k.

Can't agree with your assessment of the Penns and Crowes finances Barry.  If the salary cap disappeared we'd be like on the bottom rung of the league.  No cap means that four or five teams dominate, year after year, just like the English Premier League.  My view is that the NRL set a points system in place valuing each player (done by a committee), and a team can have players who add up to a total.  That's it.  Increase the cap if needed, but don't abandon it.     

Lets be honest folks, all 16 clubs cheat. In some way they are giving players more than their contract says. Just most clubs are smart enough to keep it quiet.

In the case of Piggy, please blatant cheating. Every club carries a backup hooker, but there is now was a player teh calibre of Piggy Riddell in 2011 is 2nd tier, especially when they are openly saying he is the backup to Farah.

Dave link said:
I reckon a few people would have been a bit sus when we signed Lyon on top of ox, beaver, kite, etc... On another note I sat next to Riddell at the 08 Gf he was wearing a Manly shirt, he was there with Glenn Hall's brother cheering on the mighty sea eagles.

They are all old St Christophers boys in the Canterbury/Bankstown league.

Dave link said:

When we were in Leeds for the 09 WCC, Piggy came up the stairs near us and stopped for a minute and looked around....we all stood up (over 40 of us) with our arms out like he does when he's kicking goals and started chanting Piggy...Piggy...Piggy...

He just laughed his head off

DSM5 link said:
Can't agree with your assessment of the Penns and Crowes finances Barry.  If the salary cap disappeared we'd be like on the bottom rung of the league.  No cap means that four or five teams dominate, year after year, just like the English Premier League.  My view is that the NRL set a points system in place valuing each player (done by a committee), and a team can have players who add up to a total.  That's it.  Increase the cap if needed, but don't abandon it.     

The points system I am not a fan of, for a few reasons.

For one, how would you sign guys to long term deals if points will change from year to year, and some need to be forced out because of it

Another reason is say for a player like Foran who I will use as an example. 18 months ago, he hadn't played 1st grade so would have been on say 1 point. 12 months later he is an International and say they make that a 7-8 point minimum, that is a massive jump and forces big changes onto a squad

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4