Richard Hinds: 'Why did the Manly fan cross the road?'

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
Can't agree with this from Hinds in the Telegraph today. Brookie isn't kids & family friendly? Brookie crowds plummet when the family hill has no one turn up at night games, especially MNF. Sunday games the whole of Brookie is full of kids & parents.

In that regard, the great weakness is not the distribution of games but the little letters beside them - BO (Brookvale), RS (Remondis Stadium), PS (Pirtek Stadium), KO (Kogarah Oval), LO (Leichardt Oval). The small, in some cases dilapidated suburban venues which cater for hardcore fans, but which do nothing to build the family audiences and corporate support the game craves.

Despite the significant increase in kid-friendly afternoon games, the problem remains obvious. Until the NRL builds - or, more likely, joins with Football Federation Australia - to create a modern stadium in the west which caters comfortably for crowds of around 45,000, many games will be a hard sell.

ANZ is a very good big occasion stadium. But asking fans to leave convenient local grounds to watch relatively routine club matches there is like trying to catch a fish with a T-bone steak.

The current impossibility of putting all the best games in the best venues is emphasised from round one. In a gladiatorial sense, Manly v Melbourne Storm at Brookvale Oval will be heightened by the close proximity of the Sea Eagles fans whose faces - as David Gallop can tell you - are often the same colour as the club jersey.

But commercially such a wonderful match-up between two teams with a bitter rivalry and a clutch of superstars is surely wasted on the 18,000 at little old Brookie. Not that those 18,000 could be tempted elsewhere.

Question: 'Why did the Manly fan cross the road?'

Answer? "Trick question! A Manly fan has never crossed a road. Let alone a bridge.''

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/marquee-friday-night-and-sunday-games-should-feature-best-performing-teams-write-richard-hinds/story-fndujljl-1226775419023

Travelling via buses and trains to and from a night game at the SFS or ANZ is something every family wants to do NOT!

This man is an idiot - I can send him my Visa statement and oft stamped Passport as a travelling Manly Supporter :mad:

Brookie Hill + cardboard slides = entertainment to generations of kiddies on the Northern Beaches.

The atmosphere of the suburban ground is not transferable to the concrete stadiums.
1) as the Fans are physically removed as far away from the game as the Sponsorship Signs allows
2) we don't have the opportunity to cheer along with people we have sat with, for literally generations like we do at our suburban ground :dodgy:

The facts were blatantly obvious when South played the Scum at the much touted atmosphere rich ANZ Stadium this finals, and also their home ground - 21,609 in an 85,000 modern stadium.:exclamation:

AAMI Park, state of the art concrete edifice, second week of the finals had the Scum playing Drugcastle, again at their home ground to 19,649 patrons :exclamation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NRL_season_results#Week_1_-_Qualifying_and_Elimination_Finals

Manly and their devoted Supporters, are denied the advantage of home ground support each and every final series :mad:

Answer? "To get to a home Final, each and every year " :exclamation::D:exclamation:

The Banner Guru can tag this bi-line onto the "Guess What, Manly Hates You Too" masterpiece :D

As soon as I saw the title the first thing for an answer that sprang to my mind was....

A: Doesn't matter the reason. They'll never be credited for doing it.

(But HM's answer is much better)

Brissie Kid said:
Can't agree with this from Hinds in the Telegraph today. Brookie isn't kids & family friendly? Brookie crowds plummet when the family hill has no one turn up at night games, especially MNF. Sunday games the whole of Brookie is full of kids & parents.

Answer? "Trick question! A Manly fan has never crossed a road. Let alone a bridge.''

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/marquee-friday-night-and-sunday-games-should-feature-best-performing-teams-write-richard-hinds/story-fndujljl-1226775419023
Maybe this twerp should speak to the MWTS who not only cross roads and bridges but also the Pacific.
Individual supporters do their bit too. Last year I travelled over 1000k
to attend Manly vs Rorters at Alliance in the school hols. I'm sure many others do similar.
Richard, please shove your misinformation up your hinds.

I know where I would like to tell Richard to shove his question. Nothing annoys me more than this stupid idea Manly supporters don't travel. I'll send him my Visa statement too along with all the others that travel hours every weekend to get to games and travel all over the country side, and ocean, to watch our guys play. I'll just call him the shortened version of Richard.

CAMBO said:
tookey said:
Q Why did the Manly fan cross the road?

A: To punch Richard Hinds in the face

Lol do you follow me on twitter ? Lol.

I tweeted that to him 30 mins ago lol.

No I never look at twitter.

I am sure most Manly fans thought the same thing

Tool,is the only word that comes to mind.

Like others I flew from Adelaide,Melbourne,Brisbane and Mackay to attend games last year due to my work committments and a home game is a leisurley 4 hour drive from the south coast.( Thank god for the beer and beds available on the corso before and after a game)

Why did the manly fan cross the road ?
To reach out to Mr Hinds hand to help hin play with the traffic !!!!
Another major tool in Warren Ryan and David Morrow mould.

To stop Dick Hinds from molesting a chicken. Again. Poor chicken. They really don't get the respect they deserve.

Martin Luther King Jnr once said : "I envision a world where all chickens, be they black or white or brown or red or speckled, will be free to cross roads without having their motives called into question".

We don't have many travelling fans but why is this a shock? We have an ancient ground that most opposition fans wouldn't be bothered trying to go to. We have never had big numbers watching our games. We have had the most exciting teams the past 5-10 years and our crowds never really grow.

Darren said:
We don't have many travelling fans but why is this a shock? We have an ancient ground that most opposition fans wouldn't be bothered trying to go to. We have never had big numbers watching our games. We have had the most exciting teams the past 5-10 years and our crowds never really grow.

Very few parra fans have turned up to their own home games over the last couple of years. However the commentators always make a point of how loyal their supporters are.

This article along with all the other drivel is just another dig at Manly and its supporters. Envy is a curse!

mozgrame said:
To stop Dick Hinds from molesting a chicken. Again. Poor chicken. They really don't get the respect they deserve.

Martin Luther King Jnr once said : "I envision a world where all chickens, be they black or white or brown or red or speckled, will be free to cross roads without having their motives called into question".

Saddam Hussein : "This was an unprovoked act of rebellion and violence by counter-revolutionary terrorists and we were forced to defend ourselves from the menace of the chicken by dropping 500 tons of nerve gas on it".

MissKate said:
Darren said:

Very few parra fans have turned up to their own home games over the last couple of years. However the commentators always make a point of how loyal their supporters are.

This article along with all the other drivel is just another dig at Manly and its supporters. Envy is a curse!

Too true. That's why we shouldn't pay it any mind, and simply make fun of it. Treat it the way it should be treated. It's an off season joke. Back to the chicken references.

Tired of the rehashing of this stuff but I suppose it makes us Eagles fans even more determined. The club made a profit this year so not too bad!!

Fox Mulder : "You saw it cross the road with your own eyes. How many more chickens have to cross the road before you believe it's true?".

I'm not going to try and argue that Manly are big crowd pullers. Sure there are always some die-hards who have travelled a distance to away games and we have fans all over so that can help with away support but I feel like travelling to games away from Brookie is just not a consideration so many local fans.

It's been well documented that we struggle to draw big crowds at neutral grounds too - other than preliminary and grand finals. It is what it is.

What bugs me is when people make a big deal about small Manly crowds for finals against cowboys (11 & 12), dogs (12) and Roosters (13 double header) but ignore poor efforts from other fans such as Souths v storm and storm v knights last year back to dragons pathetic crowd v Manly in 2010 finals.

It's a shame we don't have a bigger base of fans who get to games but we are not the only ones.

As for the family friendly argument, Richard Hinds has obviously never been to Brookie on a Sunday afternoon. His loss.

Brookie Brawler said:
I'm not going to try and argue that Manly are big crowd pullers. Sure there are always some die-hards who have travelled a distance to away games and we have fans all over so that can help with away support but I feel like travelling to games away from Brookie is just not a consideration so many local fans.

It's been well documented that we struggle to draw big crowds at neutral grounds too - other than preliminary and grand finals. It is what it is.

What bugs me is when people make a big deal about small Manly crowds for finals against cowboys (11 & 12), dogs (12) and Roosters (13 double header) but ignore poor efforts from other fans such as Souths v storm and storm v knights last year back to dragons pathetic crowd v Manly in 2010 finals.

It's a shame we don't have a bigger base of fans who get to games but we are not the only ones.

As for the family friendly argument, Richard Hinds has obviously never been to Brookie on a Sunday afternoon. His loss.

Agreed. The biggest crowd pullers are the rabbit's fans. Wankers.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6