Reynolds basically admits he hit the ref intentionally

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

weev

Bencher
Reading Chammas' article in the SMH below... says it all, really.

It's not cheating - technically - but it's certainly not in the spirit of the game.

---

In the lead-up to Saturday's final, Bulldogs five-eighth Josh Reynolds approached skipper Michael Ennis about exploiting the rule that rewards the attacking team if the ball hits the referee.

The Bulldogs managed to earn a repeat set that led to Trent Hodkinson's first field goal of the semi-final against Manly, after Reynolds' grubber made contact with referee Ben Cummins on the last tackle in the dying minutes.

While he joked about his kick hitting the referee being intentional, Reynolds revealed that he had discussed the ploy with Ennis during the week heading into Saturday's do-or-die showdown with the Sea Eagles.

"The funny thing is, I actually spoke to Mick about it through the week," Reynolds said. "He said what a great play it is. So yeah, I'll claim it. [Cummins] put his hand up the other way. And I said no way, man, I know the rule."

Judging by the reaction of all the Bulldogs players when Cummins originally ruled a Manly feed, they all knew about the rule after it was raised at training by Reynolds.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canterbury-bulldogs/bulldogs-fiveeighth-josh-reynolds-had-discussed-ball-striking-the-ref-rule-with-michael-ennis-20140921-10k0ox.html#ixzz3E0I5JKSu

weev said:

It's not cheating - technically - but it's certainly not in the spirit of the game.

---

In the lead-up to Saturday's final, Bulldogs five-eighth Josh Reynolds approached skipper Michael Ennis about exploiting the rule that rewards the attacking team if the ball hits the referee.

The Bulldogs managed to earn a repeat set that led to Trent Hodkinson's first field goal of the semi-final against Manly, after Reynolds' grubber made contact with referee Ben Cummins on the last tackle in the dying minutes.

While he joked about his kick hitting the referee being intentional, Reynolds revealed that he had discussed the ploy with Ennis during the week heading into Saturday's do-or-die showdown with the Sea Eagles.

"The funny thing is, I actually spoke to Mick about it through the week," Reynolds said. "He said what a great play it is. So yeah, I'll claim it. [Cummins] put his hand up the other way. And I said no way, man, I know the rule."

Judging by the reaction of all the Bulldogs players when Cummins originally ruled a Manly feed, they all knew about the rule after it was raised at training by Reynolds.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canterbury-bulldogs/bulldogs-fiveeighth-josh-reynolds-had-discussed-ball-striking-the-ref-rule-with-michael-ennis-20140921-10k0ox.html#ixzz3E0I5JKSu

Wish we'd thought of it

Eagles Terrorist said:
weev said:

---

Wish we'd thought of it

WE wouldn't have got the same result...they would of bought out another stupid manly rule to over rule the real rule...and then rule against us

I heard some talk on the radio yesterday, and apparently Bill Harrigan used to move out of the defensive line quite a way when Kimmorley was playing, as he used to do it too.

No problem with Reynolds doing this, it's the rule. It's just a stupid one.

The NRL is quick to change any rule, and yet this one has remained??

I think Reynolds is just trying to get some credit for a fluke. Then again, he's a known diver so anything is possible...

Fluffy said:
I would love to see someone chase the refs down and kick it into him just to prove how silly the rule is

Haha - I can see it now. Player chases ref all over field for 5 minutes with Benny Hill music played in the background. Appropriate on so many levels.

Just play on in my opinion, the ball was on the ground and Jayden hodges won the scramble to it so play on! Dumb rule! Like many other rules that have been introduced! This seven tackle rubbish after finding the dead ball line is a rip snorter of a joke!

Clint said:
Fluffy said:
I would love to see someone chase the refs down and kick it into him just to prove how silly the rule is

Haha - I can see it now. Player chases ref all over field for 5 minutes with Benny Hill music played in the background. Appropriate on so many levels.

Well there are plenty of targets; both refs and both touchies are fair game if they are on the field of play.

G'day all,What about the ref's effort to avoid the ball?He had time to move but just stood there and watched it coming at him and didn't even try and get out of the way.If that's the best of his reflex action he'd better hope he's never got a pitbull coming for his nuts.
cheers mike

bennyeagle said:
Just play on in my opinion, the ball was on the ground and Jayden hodges won the scramble to it so play on! Dumb rule! Like many other rules that have been introduced! This seven tackle rubbish after finding the dead ball line is a rip snorter of a joke!

Hey what's wrong with the zero tackle? I think it's a good rule as it discourages the offensive team kicking the ball dead and then setting a defensive line. Makes it more exciting and rewards creative play (or discourages uncreative play).

Two ref's makes it a lot easier to hit one, plus the rule goes back to the days of contested scrums and loose heads going to the defending team.

I have to feel sorry for the blokes in the team that put in 26 weeks of hard effort without sulking about the so called lack of money they were earning. Foz said that once they crossed the white line they played for each other, what a load of crap. Since 1961 I've never seen anything like this year. I'm absolutely disgusted.

bones said:
Fluffy said:

Preferably with it being kicked as hard as possible with the pointy end of the ball going straight in to his temple.

It might knock some sense into them.

I refuse to believe he did it on purpose. He doesn't have the skill level, brain power to even think about it in the context of the game. It was just lucky with a rubbish kick. If he was trying to hit the ref he should have either stopped with the ball and aimed it directly at him before kicking or at the very least, run at the referee. He ran away and just tried to dribble in behind the line into space. It was a terrible kick as the dogs players weren't even chasing and was going to be nothing but a Manly ball outside of hitting the ref. If I was the coach and he told me that was the low percentage play he went for under those circumstances with the season on the line then I'd probably put one on his chin.

weev said:

---

well Trevor Chapell can come out from under his rock and make way for Reynolds

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6