Rex Mossop 1976: "This has brought the house down."

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Nuttybott said:
sean1976 said:
I went to my first game in 1976 as a 9 year old with my father. Manly played the jets at Brookie and won in a low scoring game - my only memory is phil jackson scoring in the corner...

Wasn't his name Rod Jackson? :huh:

@[Nuttybott]

You are correct. Refer:

http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-Rex-Mossop-1976-This-has-brought-the-house-down?pid=486486#pid486486

Lowe could run like the wind and had a wicked sidestep. Even when he didn't break the line he carried defenders for 10 to 15 metres. Worse handling than Choc on a bad day was his only downside. Heart in the mouth until he caught the ball.

bones said:
Ok... It was 1994. Saturday the 13th August and Manly won 38-10.

Found it!! :)

http://m.youtube.com/index?hl=en-GB&gl=AU&desktop_uri=%2F%3Fhl%3Den-GB%26gl%3DAU#/watch?v=cjPph7W29mg

The magic ball from Lyon to Cunningham. I'd forgotten all about that. Wow!

That pass from God Cliffy to OJ just made my day :)

We are so blessed having a Club with decades of highlights :angel:

Mybludog said:
Brissie Kid said:
Where are my 1970s football cards?

I've got just about every Manly card ever made...only a couple missing now.

Going to donate them to the club when i fall off the perch

Brissie Kid said:
The smell of pink bubblegum sticks & football cards is strong in this thread!

Hey do you reckon the maroon of Manly in the 1970s was different to now? Seems a bit more towards a purple maroon in the youtube, footy cards & my memory bank.

Those early Maroon jerseys are way darker than the later ones.

I've got Wombats 72 jersey here and your right, it does have a purple tone to it. There's also one framed at the leagues Club and it's the same.

The White jerseys went from 76 to 84. Went back to the Maroon with White hoops in 85 through till the first of the Pepsi's in 93

Mate donate the cards to the state library. They preserve and look after stuff.

I've got the 1975 set of cards framed in my office, will put a pic up tomorrow.

Nuttybott said:
Ian Martin tragic said:
Never liked the white socks; too soccer. The white jersey with the maroon socks in 78 much better.

But the jersey before and after, all maroon with the pairs of white horizontal lines is the best one.

Agree with this last part 100%. For me, the maroon "hoops" jersey worn from 1968-75 and again from 1985-92 is THE Manly jersey - definitive. I hope they bring it back someday, and keep it permanently...like forever! :)

sean1976 said:
I went to my first game in 1976 as a 9 year old with my father. Manly

played the jets at Brookie and won in a low scoring game - my only memory is phil jackson scoring in the corner...

Wasn't his name Rod Jackson? :huh:

Yeah, you're right. Easy to forget because he had disappeared at least by 1978. Does anyone know what became of him?

Rex said:
Lowe could run like the wind and had a wicked sidestep. Even when he didn't break the line he carried defenders for 10 to 15 metres. Worse handling than Choc on a bad day was his only downside. Heart in the mouth until he caught the ball.

I was watching a replay of the 76 grand final recently (as you do) and Rex does not let up about Phil Lowe and his poor handling: "not the hands of an international" he says at one point. Rex had a habit of obsessing about one aspect of a players game and really going on about it.

One other thing that stood out about that game is a spine shattering spear tackle on John Harvey which Rex describes as 'a beauty'. Would get you a season on the sidelines nowadays.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4