Reviewing our rivals – Sydney City and South

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
Okay so not sure how this is going to go down with this crowd but I thought, it’s a long off season (and a boring day at work), let’s have a bit of critical analysis of other teams squads. After all, this is a rugby league forum.

Now I didn’t want to skim over each team but thought 1 by 1 would be a bit crazy so I’m breaking it down into 4 small groups

The first being Souths, the Roosters, Sharks and St George-Illawarra

Feel free to join in with your own analysis

Roosters

Along with Manly and the cheating Melbourne Storm the Roosters are a perennial powerhouse and I expect them to feature in finals football again next year but they are not without there question marks with the key departures of RTS, Maloney and the ever reliable Aubusson.

What I like – Squad packed full of quality, with youngsters pushing through and purchases in Burgess (Joe) Nikorima and Ferres. Robinson seems and astute coach, they have loads of big game experience and there forward pack is relatively untouched and could be argued is stronger than last year as players like Kane Evans continue to develop

What I dislike – RTS is a huge loss and whilst I dislike him, so is Maloney who very often performed in the clutch for the Roosters. Ferguson could excel at fullback but does he have the temperament, positioning sense and ball playing ability. Latrell Mitchell could burst on to the scene or Nikorima could also be fullback but whatever happens the No1 with be a big question mark. Similar at 5/8 where Hastings has all the talent in the world but thus far seems to be a flat track bully.

Overall – Still strong but not as strong as recent times, probably top 4 but could easily drift to the lower half of the 8

Souths

Burgess Burgess, Burgess, Inglis, Inglis, Inglis, Hype Hype Hype

What I Like – Despite the channel 9 love in, Sam Burgess was the best forward in the game when he left and I expect him to pick up where he left. His inclusion does transform take their pack to another level. Inglis will benefit from a off season and Reynolds kicking game is always a plus.

What I dislike – The loss of Isaac Luke should not be underestimated, arguably the second best rake in the game and his quick scoots often laid the platform for the Burgess brothers to roll forward. McInnes and Cook have been hyped but I’m not convinced on either yet. In the halves they have 2 good players and in Reynolds they have a great kicker in both general play and conversions but neither are grab the game by the scruff of the neck and win it on your own types. Lastly Auvava and Johnston need to step up with Walker gone……..they both have it in them but not fearful of their strike power out wide atm

Overall – Not seeing a lot of quality depth so injuries will be key, provided they aren’t hit to hard I see them 3rd – 6th

Sharks

A big spender over the last few seasons and this year was no different. The roster looks solid across the park but does it have that sprinkling of magic to go all the way.

What I like – Have address a glaring weakness in the halves and signed Maloney and Townsend (who I feel is a little underrated). Robson took them to the finals behind this pack so that should be the bare minimum for the new halves.

Plenty of experience in the pack meaning they know what needs to get done in a tight game and two great young talents in Holmes and Bird.

What I dislike – The fullback uncertainty, in my view there should be none, Holmes should be fullback 100% with Bird in the centres and Barba a bench impact player. The question is, can the egos in this squad handle it? Talking of egos, Maloney, Ennis and Townsend need to run this team, so Paul Gallen needs to pick his moments and stop taking hit up on the 4th and 5th in attacking territory

Overall – I think their pack is aging but it has enough in them to get them through this season. If Holmes is fullback, bottom half of the 8

Dragons

Overall I feel they overachieved last year (considering I was predicting them for bottom 3), Plenty of good players in the squad but no superstars

What I like – Seemed to work well as a unit last year and were therefore pretty solid defensively.

What I dislike – If Dugan plays fullback they are short quality out wide, if Dugan plays centre they are short quality at the back. They should be going all out for Lafai to address this. I’d written Benji of but he played a solid, measured game last year……….I don’t think it will continue and there pack is……………..well, just decent.

Overall – 10th or below

I'm not that deep into other teams, but I can't wait to see the Warriors next year.

They bought better than any other Club and with a stronger Coach, would be a serious Premiership contender.
Luke/Johnson/RTS combo will be awesome :)

As 2 of their 'Away' games will also be played in NZ, they are Top 8.

All these clubs should do well in 2016.

I expect the Vermin to be stronger now that they have Burgess back. Their challenge will be can they have a plan B from the one dimensional power game they have. A lot depends on how Inglis pulls up after origin.

The chooks will take a while to adjust as their spine is different for 2016, they have the quality for sure but maybe their premiership window may have closed now.

The sharks know that anything but a top 4 finish is a massive failure. They have a good pack but the issue is can they score more points in a game? I expect them to be strong.

The dragqueens punched above their weight last year and I think they have the same challenge as the sharks in where are the points going to come from? They will be challenging for the 8.

Illawarra no threat...even if they play above themselves like 2015 are a long way off match winners to contest the big games, plus have many weaknesses & mistakes that will exploit them big time.

Sharks now have decent halves, tough experienced forwards & great leadership & big game players...add some young talent & a top 6 spot is there for the taking. Still see failure as per usual come crunch time with plenty of frailties the top 4 teams will cash in on, come finals

Roosters a serious threat with a top pack & the loss of Maloney will be evened out with young Hastings set for a huge year.
Sheck is a massive loss than cannot be replaced but the addition of pom winger Burgess brings another strike weapon to a potent attacking side, also adds to the aerial threat with tall timbers Tuopo, Kenny Dowall & now Burgess all 6'3 plus.
A definite challenger set for a top 4 spot

South will miss Luke almost as much as the joy they get from big Sams return.
Young Dog Cooke will compliment the big pack with zest from dummy half but lacks the toughness & experience of Luke. GI & Reynolds should be injury free & lift big time also.
The main benefit of Sams return is not his undeniable talent, but the lift & belief his mates will get with his presence. Still a few suspect weaknesses in their defence should see them in the 8, but no certainty for a top 4 finish

I think the teams that everyone expects to make top 8 are:

1:Broncos
2:Sharks
3:Roosters
4:Cowboys
5:Warriors
6:Dogs
7:Rabbits
8:Storm

What the real top 8 will be IMO:

1:Broncos
2:Cowboys
3:Manly
4:Warriors
5:Sharks
6:Roosters
7:Dogs
8:Raiders

Everyone in the media and the nrl think roosters and rabbits is the best possible game you can watch

I think the top 3 nrl games next year will be

1:Cowboys vs Broncos
2:Manly vs Broncos Brisbane
3:Manly vs Warriors Perth

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8