replacement fullbacks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mr seagles

Reserve Grader
Throwing some names around to fill in for hoppa IF brett stewart is injured next year, some possiblities of contract are 1. David simmons from penrith,he has got speed and primary position is fullback could be a cheap option and might go well under des......2.David milne from canberra he wont beat dugan so might be ok pick up cheap....3.Ryan tongia cronulla wont beat nathan gardner could be cheap all of these 3 and can play nsw cup if not needed, because with no hoppa we need to be prepared if snake is finished...i dont think robbo is the answer im afraid....

mr seagles said:
Throwing some names around to fill in for hoppa IF brett stewart is injured next year, some possiblities of contract are 1. David simmons from penrith,he has got speed and primary position is fullback could be a cheap option and might go well under des......2.David milne from canberra he wont beat dugan so might be ok pick up cheap....3.Ryan tongia cronulla wont beat nathan gardnercould be cheap all of these 3 and can playnsw cup if not needed, because with no hoppa we need to be prepared if snake is finished...

i`m sure we would just use robbo , & one of the young pups would go on the wing...:sleepy:

The Eagle said:
Ryan said:
Wasn't Ben Farrar keen to come back after this year?

Farrar can stay away,poor fullback at any rate,cant catch

thats because fullback wasn`t his position, but he does make a good utility.. he could almost be a back up hooker he is quick off the mark..

Yeah i see that Jjai,but we're talking about replacement fullbacks in this thread as per its name,Farrar is a centre or hooker,other positions arent his forte

Farrar played damned well when here, even at fullback. Ok, he struggled under the high ball, but got better as the year went on. Also, he single handedly won us a few games (Sharks at Brookie, Storm in Melbourne).

At least the bloke laced his boots up consistently each week.

Anyone know if the rumor of Tim Moltzen joining Souths is true.

I think he wold be handy pick up (can play fullback, 5/8 and halfback)

Farrar did great last year, he definitely improved under the high ball as the season progressed. He also has very good utility value and wouldn't be too expensive.

I rate the following as decent back-ups who can play fullback:
Nathan Stapleton
Sean Meaney
Javarn White
David Milne
Shannon Gallant

Farrar would be nice if we could get him to come back on a decent contract.

I think that Oldfield will be the goods though, bloke has some serious skills. More game time we can get for him the better.

EDIT: Just read Patorick's post, the name Meany is a blast from the past. I was always a fan of his & usually keep an eye out for him whenever I see Balmain play in NSW cup. Great player, shame his career was cruelled by injuries. Wouldn't say no to having him back, Sheens has given him absolutely nothing which is a disgrace when he insisted on playing numpties like Fitzhenry. At least Meany would be likely to get a few proper shots if he was with us.

Farrar was our most consistent last year and probably one of our best. Much better fullback than robbo will ever be! Robbo's a great winger but doesn't cut it at the back

The Eagle said:
Robbo can atleast catch,you just lost all credibility

Farrar improved immensely in this area as the year went on. If I were you I'd re-watch some of the later games in Farrar's stint with us before calling out others.

There is more to fullback then catching bombs as well, Farrar is a real playmaker which is something that anyone could see when he took over from Robbo. I hope I never have to see Robbo at fullback for Manly ever again, he was truely woeful back there.

Farrar was a great fullback ... unless you bombed him. Seriously he was terrible under the high ball. I don't think people realise how often that cost us last year. Not every drop or poor take resulted in a handover, but it at the very least it put us on the backfoot for that set of six costing us the momentum that can be generated by a fullback who is clean at the back. He was great in just about every other aspect though.

The Eagle said:
Robbo can atleast catch,you just lost all credibility
He isn't a full back though. We've seen it for a couple of seasons.

I rate Robbo highly but keep him on the wing where he belongs.

Ben Farrah did a fantastic job in a position he wasn't accustomed to.

I would love to have him over wolf and would more than fill the fullback spot (though not in a premiership winning side).

Stewart is too big a player to account for in terms of attack. Catching a ball yes but not many players come along who can win a game for a side entirly on their own.

Masked Eagle said:
Farrar was a great fullback ... unless you bombed him. Seriously he was terrible under the high ball. I don't think people realise how often that cost us last year. Not every drop or poor take resulted in a handover, but it at the very least it put us on the backfoot for that set of six costing us the momentum that can be generated by a fullback who is clean at the back. He was great in just about every other aspect though.

This is where losing Hoppa really starts to hurt, such a great utility player who excelled in several positions. Farrar got alot better under the high ball towards the end of last season and i would happily have him back, also by next year i would hope that Snake would be at fullback and over his constant injury niggles.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6