1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refs

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by mosto, Sep 20, 2013.

1. mosto

mosto Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +992 / 10
    It's easy to bag refs when they're ****, but it's gotta go the other way. I'm not a fan of Hayne or Klein usually, but credit where it's due. I thought they were excellent tonight. The only thing I could really pick out was the Gordon shoulder charge on Taufua...that's it! The pick up of Morris taking out Ballin looks obvious on 5 replays, but for Klein to pick it up straight away was good officiating. Plenty of refs would have missed that.

• Like Like x 3
  2. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,402 / 130
    I have always liked these two refs.

I don't think the Taufua try should of been awarded, but that came back to the video ref.

3. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    That video ref try was a howler

The initial call from the on field ref is having too much bearing. There needs to be a 50/50 option in there somehow for when they generally don't have a clue and are guessing what happened then the video ref gets locked into working with that call

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pittwater Legend

Pittwater Legend Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +780 / 28
    They were good tonight and I'm glad they gave us a fair go. Too many times this year we have had to contend with the opposition getting bull**** piggyback penalties. Namely the Dragons match, the away match against Melbourne and the away clash against Souths.

5. Mal Cochrane

Mal Cochrane I'm not really Mal Cochrane...

Ratings:
    +434 / 4
    I've said this before and totally agree. On these occasions only, i would even go with benefit of the doubt

6. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    I wouldn't have given it. It comes back to the stupidity of not challenging a ref's call unless it is a 100% mistake. Good game by the officials with bs calls for penalties from players being ignored and the game went on, as it should.

7. TokyoEagle

TokyoEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4
    I called the Taufua try as a no try in full speed. After seeing it on slo-mo, i called try. Just interested @bob dylan, why did you call it no try ?

8. Arko-admirer

Arko-admirer Active Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0
    I wouldn't have give Taufua's but as it wasn't converted at least we can say we still squarely won by the penalty goal

Not that I mind I will take a win any way we get it. We have lost a few on tries that shouldn't have been or one's of ours that weren't given

9. Mal Cochrane

Mal Cochrane I'm not really Mal Cochrane...

Ratings:
    +434 / 4
    hmmm, maybe there was no separation, but it was on his fingertips without control. What is the rule with that these days?

10. COMMANDER

COMMANDER IF YOU DO NOT TRY YOU CAN NOT FAIL 2016 Tipping Competitor

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Ratings:
    +1,740 / 81
    Then again the Sharks first try came from a frivolous Hayne penalty that marched them downfield.

What goes around comes around as far as video refs go.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mosto

mosto Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +992 / 10
    I had no problem with the Taufua try. A lot of mates I watch footy with have commented that they think I'm pretty objective re ref calls and I thought that was a try.

I do agree though if a ref has no evidence one way or the other, he should have the "I have no F****cking idea" option!

12. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    Put the whistles away and just let the teams fight it out toe to toe, thats how all games should be reffed

• Like Like x 1
  13. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,739 / 125
    Have to admit that I was worried going in with Shayne Hayne as one of the refs considering the treatment we've got from him in the past. But other than Michael Gordon's shoulder charge on Jorge, I think the men in Pink had a pretty good night tonight. The video ref on the other hand.....not sure about that. Was there any conclusive evidence that Jorge lost the ball over the line? During the year I've seen ones like that given, and I've seen them disallowed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. KOMORI

KOMORI Born and bred an Eagle

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +3,269 / 53
    Nail, meet head!!

Exactly my thoughts Dan!

15. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,698 / 27
    I'm with you Commander, sometimes we get screwed, so when we get one that goes our way, let's take it.

The good thing for me was that it wasn't a howler where you'd go, no way was that a try. It was one of those 50/50s. So I'm happy taking it. Mind you I was happy taking Foz's this time last year!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Poola

Poola Active Member

Ratings:
    +135 / 8
    They refereed without wanting to kill the game and bring the spotlight on them. That's all we can ask. This week we got the tub of the green, however we put ourselves in a winning position. I liked that Klein was confident to make a call on what he saw.
    Last weeks debacle proved that all we need are refs that are confident to make a call & ask for clarity later.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,402 / 130
    I always watch and say to myself would I be happy if that was awarded against Manly. The answer was a definite no, mainly because of the doubt about ball control and downward pressure.....

18. voicefromthehill

voicefromthehill Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,235 / 9
    I watched the try at full speed at the game - 15,000 supporters agreed

TRY

19. TokyoEagle

TokyoEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4

I think i would have been OK with that one against us. I think that unless there is conclusive evidence that the player hasn't scored a try, you have to give him benefit. The ref's call rule needs a little tweaking before the start of next year IMO. Not too much though, they have almost got it right.

20. Jerry1

Jerry1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,470 / 80
    Why have a video ref if the wont correct a dodgy decision. Waste of time.