Refs blurred vision costs Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
NRL referees boss Robert Finch is expected to sack the touch judge who missed the blatant forward pass that cost the Sea Eagles two premiership points.

NRL referees boss Robert Finch is expected to sack one official following Sunday's controversial game.

Joel Reddy accepts a 5m forward pass from teammate Kris Keating to score the match-winner.

Keating throws the pass, from the 10m line for Reddy to catch 5m from the try-line.

Finch conceded on Monday officials got two crucial decisions wrong in Manly’s 24-20 round-two NRL loss to the Eels at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday.

According to Finch, Manly’s opening try to rookie half Trent Hodkinson should never have been awarded with an obstruction in the lead-up missed.
Of the second, more blatant mistake, Finch admits Kris Keating’s 5m forward pass, which led to Joel Reddy’s 73rd-minute match winner, should have been pulled up.
The terrible officiating led Manly coach Des Hasler to offer to cover the costs for the sideline officials, Jeff Younis and Gavin Reynolds, to visit an OPSM centre for a check-up.
A Balgowlah-based OPSM encouraged the whistleblowers to drop by for a consultation.
But all eyes were focused on Finch on Monday afternoon with Reynolds likely to pay the price for missing Keating’s gridiron-like play.
“I would have expected a little bit more from the sideline official (Reynolds) on that touchline to have been in a better position to make that call,” Finch said.
“I’m pretty disappointed with the team’s performance. There were two incidents in this game that led to points.
``The first being the first try that Manly scored which was clearly a breach of the key indicators and an obstruction should have been awarded against the Manly side and a penalty to the Eels. And the Joel Reddy try, the last pass was clearly forward.”
Hasler was not expected to be fined for his post-match comments when he suggested the two touch judges visit an OPSM for a check-up.
“I will personally pay,” Hasler offered.
Balgowlah OPSM employee Scott Davidson said the NRL should take up Hasler’s suggestion."They definitely should,” Davidson said.
“We would encourage them to come up and get their eyes tested. Medicare recommends every two years, but if Des Hasler is recommending it, then maybe they need to come in.”
Davidson said the touch judges handling the Sea Eagles/Eels game could suffer from a range of optical issues.
“They could be short-sighted, which would impact on their decision-making on the field,” he said.
Despite the ordinary officiating, Finch said his staff remain on track.
“I think I was disappointed with their performance in round 1,” he said of all officials. “It was far better in round 2, a lot better.
“We’re talking about a game yesterday (Sunday), but the performances of the referees, as with the performance of players who are finding their feet in the new competition, the referees are also finding their feet in the new competition.
“There is no doubt moving forward that as players’ performances improve so does referees’.”

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4