Refereeing and video ref.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Wasn't it good to see the refs make decisions without going to the video ref for every try, When it did go to the video ref we didn't see 20 replays.

Daniel Anderson has aleady proved his worth by replacing Bill Harrigan.

At least we could hear them say their opinion so we knew when it went upstairs what was being looked for.
McCulloughs no try - Ref thought try but Video Ref thought he was just short after one look, thankfully. Conversely, the commentators all thought it was good. Thats where spidercam would be beneficial but it can't be everywhere.
Reeds no try - Ref thought no try and proven correct.

So all good tonight and we didn't wait an eternity for decisions.

swoop said:
Wasn't it good to see the refs make decisions without going to the video ref for every try, When it did go to the video ref we didn't see 20 replays.

Daniel Anderson has aleady proved his worth by replacing Bill Harrigan.

You betcha.

Brilliant. On-field referees trusted, and expected, to make the crucial calls.

Confidence inspiring.

What about the run of 6 penalties in a row to the Broncos? The Broncos were crawling forward off the mark & flapping about on the ground which left Manly tacklers penalised by referees. You could hear the referees yelling at Thaiday to stop moving off the mark but at the same time they would penalise Manly for not getting off him. This is the part of the game that needs addressing.

And who was that Bronco in the first half that screamed like a little schoolgirl & then played dead for a penalty when DCE's arm inoffensively brushed his chin?

The officiating in both matches played to date has been a massive improvement from last year. On-field refs will always make mistakes; my biggest gripe in previous seasons has been with the errors made by the video refs.
It looks like on-field decisions are taking precedence, which is how it should be.
Well done refs (now, from me, that is a first).

I can live with onfield refs making mistake, but when video refs make blunders that frustrates me no end.

Typical Suncorp.game. we were not meant to win. The ponies were looked after by the officials. 5 pens in a row. 2 of them on last tackle. Ponies have one class player in Hodges. Gonna be a long season for the news limited ponies me thinks. Refs did well with the video ref. Easier to understand now ref has his opinion and just checks it incase of an error. They got the big calls right on the night.

Most of the penalties against us were definitely deserved IMHO. Mostly resulting from from not moving away quickly enough from the play of the ball or not getting back to marker. 2V obviously saw this and put a rocket up them about it at half time and it improved from there on out.

Yeah big improvement for the video ref. What I liked the most is they took a few looks and then called it. No waiting a year to make a decision (and then sometimes the wrong one)

MWSE said:
Most of the penalties against us were definitely deserved IMHO. Mostly resulting from from not moving away quickly enough from the play of the ball or not getting back to marker. 2V obviously saw this and put a rocket up them about it at half time and it improved from there on out.

You need to look at the tape and see how that came about. The Broncos players when tackled were crawling forward off the mark & deliberately getting tangled up with tacklers and to take the marker out of play. The only thing that fixed it in the 2nd half was Manly had more possession at the start. Notice Manly didn't get the hold down penalties from Broncos tackles though.

Every single team does that. Our players shouldn't have been in a position to allow the Broncos players to entangle them like that.

I still can't see the reason for two reffs to be on the field. Shayne Hayne could have done the game himself without that idiot, Shortall, pinging us and coaching them. I thought that reffs coaching on the field during a game was not going to happen. The overhead cam shots are good, as was shown last night.

sheridanstand78 said:
Typical Suncorp.game. we were not meant to win. The ponies were looked after by the officials. 5 pens in a row. 2 of them on last tackle. Ponies have one class player in Hodges. Gonna be a long season for the news limited ponies me thinks. Refs did well with the video ref. Easier to understand now ref has his opinion and just checks it incase of an error. They got the big calls right on the night.
Damn straight! at the 30min mark Hodges gets tackled and screams at the ref "**** off. Do your ****ing job." He screamed it so loud and it was very clear on the tv. I thought then that he knew how the refs were meant to favour Brisbane.

manlyfan76 said:
sheridanstand78 said:
Damn straight! at the 30min mark Hodges gets tackled and screams at the ref "f**k off. Do your f**king job." He screamed it so loud and it was very clear on the tv. I thought then that he knew how the refs were meant to favour Brisbane.

He should have been sent off for abusing the linesman like that. If he'd spoken to an on field ref that way he'd have been sent for sure. Don't know why players are allowed to get away with mouthing off like that.

Agree with all about refs. Except they got a big call wrong, in our favour. They let us have a 20 meter restart when David Williams caught the ball just in the field of play. Ref said he leapt from the in goal. Should have been a line drop out. Big momentum stopper for the broncos. Probably no change of the result, but shows how tight these decisions are.

Hearing the referee opinion before going upstairs Ian great it takes all the guesswork out of it and takes some pressure off of the video ref. If it can't clearly be over ruled then go back to ref decision such a simple change but such a massive improvement for the video ref

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4