Rd.1 Team ideas

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I assume you mean as a forward and not as reserve winger ?? Waste of a bench spot IMO. Horhay isn't a backrower so why the obsession with trying to turn him into one ? Just because the guy makes some hard yards out of dummy half in our own 20m or clocks up 200+ metres out wide doesn't mean he is going to relish straight hit ups into the teeth of the opposition pack , not to mention all the extra defensive workload. I've seen quite a few posters suggesting Horhay would be some sort of revelation off the bench, I don't see it. What is this theory based on ??
His pure strength and his ability to break the line and hit hard . Randall , Ron Gibbs and Steve Knight were amongst many backs that made successful transitions in the forwards

I know there have been plenty of backs that have transitioned to forwards. I just don't see Horhay's defence and intensity being good enough. Anyway, my main point was why are we trying to manufacture a backrower from a winger when we have backrow options galore. It's one position we are well covered in.

I agree with you chippy that we have plenty of back rowers and i would like to see Horhay stay on the wing but i also believe a great athlete like Horhay can adapt to the back row
Go the mighty Sea eagles !!! :)

Luke Lewis did it very well in recent times and a little further back Ruben Wiki killed the transition.

I am sure there are plenty of others that didn't

I would give him this year to get back to 2013 form before trying to change him

Taufua is a winger. He needs to sort out the high ball business if he wants to keep Gutherson out of the side. Personally, I hope he does because he is a very damaging winger and a superb finisher. Gutherson's time will come sooner or later so the best outcome for Manly is a fit and firing Jorge Taufua.

Just a side note; my concern regarding Gutherson is he is a genuine fullback and if Tom Trbo lives up to his potential, Gutherson will be shafted to the centres or the wing resulting in other clubs circling him with big $$$ to play fullback. Our chances of keeping them both long term are not good...a happy dilemma going forward I guess.

I'm in my old home town ( Moree) at present , the Eagles have been here ( or in the district ) for most of the week.

We had Jamie B, Jamie L, Jesse, Justin, Jayden ( yes all the J's) and so had a long chat with both Jamie's yesterday.

Jamie B won't be ready for Round 1, possibly 3, def by 4, outside for 2.

Jamie L doesn't have a clue re the halves , hopes both stay!

Jesse was an absolute hit with the kids, and the adults , that boy oozes personality.

All were great with their time at a number of functions over the 4 days they were here.

Oh, and they went pig hunting!!

1. Snake (vc)
2. Jorge
3. Killer (c)
4. Skivy
5. Peta
6. Foz
7. DCE
8. Willie
9. Matty B
10. BJ
11. Mateo
12. T-Red
13. JSL

Reserves - Lui, Horo, Burgess, Star

The biggest question is probably who will start on the wing? Tooves has a choice of Jorge, Wolf, Gutho and Blair. I think the other selections are pretty straight forward, though I would start T-Red over Horo. For mine T-Red offers more.

Last edited:
I think most positions pick themselves , barring injury of course, Jamie B won't play ( from the horses mouth) until round 4, maybe 3.

The Wing positions seem to be the ones creating most discussion, and I guess that's because we have a few of them, or a few that can play in that position.

I think they will go with Hiku, and if Tafua is injured maybe Wolfman or Blair.

This is the first 17 tooves has announced for the trial against the chooks. I think we can get a very good idea of the round 1 squad based on it.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Peta Hiku
3. Jamie Lyon ©
4. Cheyse Blair
5. Clinton Gutherson
6. Daly Cherry-Evans
7. Kieran Foran
8. Josh Starling
9. Matt Ballin
10. Willie Mason
11. Tom Symonds
17. Feleti Mateo
13. Dunamis Lui
INT
12. Justin Horo
14. Jesse Sene-Lefao
15. James Hasson
16. Blake Leary
18. Luke Burgess
19. Jayden Hodges
20. Tony Satini
21. Michael Chee Kam
22. Jake Trbojevic
23. David Williams
25. Brayden Wiliame
29. Jack Littlejohn

Obviously fully fit Lawrence goes in for Mason and Buhrer for Symonds or Lui. Mason and Symonds or Lui would then make up a bench spot, so that leaves 2 left.
JSL will almost definitely get one, surely that last spot should go to Hodges or Burgess, having another front rower or hooker would be better than having 3 back rowers on the bench.
Also interesting to see Blair in for the injured Matai in centre. I can't imagine he would be a permanent centre option if Matai got injured, but I really don't know.

This is the first 17 tooves has announced for the trial against the chooks. I think we can get a very good idea of the round 1 squad based on it.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Peta Hiku
3. Jamie Lyon ©
4. Cheyse Blair
5. Clinton Gutherson
6. Daly Cherry-Evans
7. Kieran Foran
8. Josh Starling
9. Matt Ballin
10. Willie Mason
11. Tom Symonds
17. Feleti Mateo
13. Dunamis Lui
INT
12. Justin Horo
14. Jesse Sene-Lefao
15. James Hasson
16. Blake Leary
18. Luke Burgess
19. Jayden Hodges
20. Tony Satini
21. Michael Chee Kam
22. Jake Trbojevic
23. David Williams
25. Brayden Wiliame
29. Jack Littlejohn

Obviously fully fit Lawrence goes in for Mason and Buhrer for Symonds or Lui. Mason and Symonds or Lui would then make up a bench spot, so that leaves 2 left.
JSL will almost definitely get one, surely that last spot should go to Hodges or Burgess, having another front rower or hooker would be better than having 3 back rowers on the bench.
Also interesting to see Blair in for the injured Matai in centre. I can't imagine he would be a permanent centre option if Matai got injured, but I really don't know.

I get the impression from that side, that Buhrer comes in for Mateo.

Starling
Ballin
Lawrence
Buhrer
Symonds
Lui

Mason
JSL
Mateo
Leary

I still maintain that Mason should start the match in place of Starling. Josh lacks the explosiveness to set the tempo and soften up the opposition forwards in the early stages. He is reliable (especially in defence), but that softening up period belongs to a beast like Willie.

Looks like wolfy is done and dusted . Blair for the wing spot till Taufua comes back. Hodges,Leary and Burgess in the reggies,

Toovey is very conservative. I hope everyone makes it hard to be left out

If we are after impact to bend the line early, is starling at 104kg and 186cm going to do the job, I think well go backward like we did last year if he starts. I think we need weight up front to get us off our try line
Here is our forwards as per weight, height and a combined figure
player height Weight combined
Uiti baker 192 120 156
Willie mason 196 115 155.5
Luke Burgess 194 112 153
Siosaia Vave 188 115 151.5
James Hasson 193 105 149
Ligi Sao 186 109 147.5
Brenton Lawrence 187 106 146.5
Jake TRBOJEVIC 185 106 145.5
Josh Starling 186 104 145
Tyson Andrews 180 94 137
Feleti Mateo 194 108 151
Jesse Sene-Lefao 189 103 146
Michael Chee-Kam 189 103 146
Justin Horo 190 102 146
Dunamis Lui 182 108 145
Tom Symonds 189 100 144.5
Blake Leary 180 97 138.5
Buhrer, Jamie 180 95 137.5

Yeh i figure some stats may be out, but its clear that the heavier players have impact early, i dont think weve had too many over 110kg lately so the addition of Mason, Burgess and Vave leaves some good starting options

surely we can find a place for our new recruits Merrin, Taumolo, Tom Burgess, sezer, Elgey etc in round 1.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2