Rd.1 Team ideas

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
1. Snake
2. Hiku
3. Lyon
4. Matai
5. Gutherson
6. Foran
7. DCE
8. Mason
9. Ballin
10.Lawrence
11.Buhrer
12.Symonds
13.Lui

14.Starling
15.JSL
16.Burgess
17.Mateo

A big question mark sits over Lui and JSL. They were both great last year, but I get the impression that Leary and Chee Kam are both serious threats to steal a spot in the 17 from one or even both of these two. I don't think Gutherson can sit in reserves anymore either...I am really torn on this one because I rate Taufua and think he offers a lot of positives; either one is fine with me.

Fringe;
Hodges
Taufua
Hasson
Horo
Jake T
Vave
Leary
Chee Kam
Wolfy
Blair

Last edited:
1. Snake
2. Hiku
3. Lyon
4. Matai
5. Gutherson
6. Foran
7. DCE
8. Mason
9. Ballin
10.Lawrence
11.Buhrer
12.Symonds
13.Lui

14.Starling
15.JSL
16.Burgess
17.Hodges

A big question mark sits over Lui and JSL. They were both great last year, but I get the impression that Leary and Chee Kam are both serious threats to steal a spot in the 17 from one or even both of these two. I don't think Gutherson can sit in reserves anymore either...I am really torn on this one because I rate Taufua and think he offers a lot of positives; either one is fine with me.

Fringe;
Taufua
Hasson
Horo
Jake T
Vave
Leary
Chee Kam
Wolfy
Blair

Forgot Mateo! The good thing here is genuine competition for wing and pack - our weak spots at the back end of last year. If anyone's form slips there should be 3 or 4 gunning for that spot. Which is a great position to be in.

Forgot Mateo! The good thing here is genuine competition for wing and pack - our weak spots at the back end of last year. If anyone's form slips there should be 3 or 4 gunning for that spot. Which is a great position to be in.
Oops, I better paste him in.

If he can do what he did yesterday and pop balls out from a seemingly held position that aren't like Choc offloads that go ten meters behind and lose us ground but instead lead to another phase or a try, we are in great shape.

I think with his size, he's able to get an arm out and actually control the offload, like give a nice catchable pass where so many players just fling it out while going down and you are worse off than if they just took the tackle.

Personally I think the NRL should not just record offloads, because that's meaningless. I want to know offloads +/- so who gives offloads that lead to metres gained and who does it for a loss. Even better if they had "offloads to points".

NRL stats are very primitive.

First up Toovey might reward the players who got us to within an ace of the minor premiership.
Gone are King and Watmough, and Buhrer may not be fit, so those 3 can be replaced by Mateo, Mason, and Burgess, who are the most experienced of our new men.

The wing spot will go on form. Seems to be between Blair, Wolfman and Gutherson unless Jorge proves his fitness.

Leary, Cheeky, and Hodges the main 3 putting on early pressure for a spot in the 17...?

At this early stage I like the depth.

Here's how I'd start.

1. Snake
2. Horhay
3. Lyon
4. Matai
5. Hiku
6. Foz
7. DCE
8. Starling
9. Ballin
10. Lawrence
11. Buhrer/Leary (Depends if Buhrer can start the season)
12. JSL
13. Mateo

14. Hodges/Burgess
15. Mason
16. Chee Kam
17. Leary/Buhrer/Jake T

Stewart
Tafua/turbo/gutho/wolfman
Lyon
Matai
Hiku
Foran
Cherry Evans
Buhrer
Leary
Mateo
Lawrence
Ballin
Starling

Hodges
Burgess
Luis/JSL
Mason

A YART thread? Jeez guys, we have some depth this season. I hope
No idea what this Hiku fetish you all have is,Taufua, Wolf, TT and Guthbo should be ahead on the pecking order

I kinda feel the same as you Cherry. His defense leaves a lot to be desired. But on his day, he does remind me of Steven Bell - but that is ON his day.

A YART thread? Jeez guys, we have some depth this season. I hope

I kinda feel the same as you Cherry. His defense leaves a lot to be desired. But on his day, he does remind me of Steven Bell - but that is ON his day.

I think he's a centre personally, playing him on the wing is silly

i dont see what the fascination is with wolfman, the guy cant catch a high ball and is terrible in defence, its time to bring along the young guys in gutherson and young tom, let them share one of the wing spots, im sure injury will keep give them both a chance on one of the flanks at various times , jorge is also a liability under the high ball and any more shockers from him should see his name read out with wolfies in the reggies, he is also under a injury cloud so will miss the first game at least.
the second rowers, horo and symonds need to improve if they are going to start or be in the 17

I'm with you midge, I'm a Cheyse Blair fan so I'd run with him in the same spot.

And I have been saying it for a while now , Leary WILL be the buy of the year , if not the Rookie of the year for the whole game.

That is if he can get a start to show what he can do.

Not sure about round 1, but this is the way I'd like to see the side finish up;

1. Snake
2. T.Turbo LW
3. Killer c
4. Skivvy
5. Blair RW
6. Foz
7. Sid
8. Aldi Burgess
9. Ballin
10. Lawrence
11. JSL
12. Mateo
13. Mason

14. Vave
15. J.Turbo
16. Ferris
17. Lui

Hiku just misses out. He and 10 others will get opportunities during the year.

You must have a big, strong forward pack and bench to dominate.

From there, the backs can create and win matches.

We have great potential this year, feels like the start of a new generation. Manly at 15-1 now is a steal!

Wolfman and Tafua are no good under the high ball, it’s been shown up in pressure finals games over the past two years, and Wolfman’s line defence is also suspect. They’ll both be exposed again in big end of season games. For all their strengths, that rules them out for me on the wing from here on in. Gutho and Hiku are both safe in that regard and good all round. Gutho looks to me like he has enormous potential in attack as well, a future star. Tom T needs some time on the wing in firsts this year as well. If Snake is injured, he’ll no doubt get it with either he or Gutho going to fullback. Cheyse Blair as a further backup.

Prop rotation looks good. We have Starling, Williams, Burgess, Lawrence. Plus coming through if any of Turbo, Vave, Sao or even Uiti Baker work out this year, we have a formidable front row – I haven’t seen most of them play (being a long way away!), so I’m just crossing my fingers. I’d say Burgess will have cemented a starting position after a few games. Big Willy on the bench for short sharp stints.

If there is enough prop depth, Lawrence to second row to give us size and speed there. We’ve all seen him make breaks and his speed, now let him train for it and give him that role on the edge. Along with Symonds, Buhrer, Mateo, Leary, JHL, Liu and Horo there is a ton of back row choice.

BJ to the second row only works if his neck is ok now and he can actually turn his head sideways to see if there is someone to pass to :tearsofjoy:

I like Burgess in the 17, but he is not a starter; he is only good for 20 minutes a game. It's not a lack of fitness, but he is very no frills and should only be used to "hold up an end" when our better players need a rest.

I would have Hodges on the bench, taking the spot of the 10 minute forward we have used a lot over the last 5 years

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4