1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rd.1 Team ideas

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Snake, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Snake

Snake Doing The Eagle Rock!

Ratings:
    +2,536 / 135
    1. Snake
    2. Hiku
    3. Lyon
    4. Matai
    5. Gutherson
    6. Foran
    7. DCE
    8. Mason
    9. Ballin
    10.Lawrence
    11.Buhrer
    12.Symonds
    13.Lui

14.Starling
    15.JSL
    16.Burgess
    17.Mateo

A big question mark sits over Lui and JSL. They were both great last year, but I get the impression that Leary and Chee Kam are both serious threats to steal a spot in the 17 from one or even both of these two. I don't think Gutherson can sit in reserves anymore either...I am really torn on this one because I rate Taufua and think he offers a lot of positives; either one is fine with me.

Fringe;
    Hodges
    Taufua
    Hasson
    Horo
    Jake T
    Vave
    Leary
    Chee Kam
    Wolfy
    Blair

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  2. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,420 / 257
    Forgot Mateo! The good thing here is genuine competition for wing and pack - our weak spots at the back end of last year. If anyone's form slips there should be 3 or 4 gunning for that spot. Which is a great position to be in.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Snake

Ratings:
    +2,536 / 135
    Oops, I better paste him in.

4. Loobs

Ratings:
    +6,420 / 257
    If he can do what he did yesterday and pop balls out from a seemingly held position that aren't like Choc offloads that go ten meters behind and lose us ground but instead lead to another phase or a try, we are in great shape.

I think with his size, he's able to get an arm out and actually control the offload, like give a nice catchable pass where so many players just fling it out while going down and you are worse off than if they just took the tackle.

Personally I think the NRL should not just record offloads, because that's meaningless. I want to know offloads +/- so who gives offloads that lead to metres gained and who does it for a loss. Even better if they had "offloads to points".

NRL stats are very primitive.

5. mjb136

mjb136 MWSE fanatic Premium Member

sydney
    Ratings:
    +1,462 / 32
    Looking forward to seeing Blake leary get some game time.

I think he has a point to prove and it will show in his game.

• Like Like x 4
  6. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 51
    I hope Toovey bloods young Tom T this season at some stage, the boy is a sensation!

• Like Like x 1
  7. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,803 / 122
    First up Toovey might reward the players who got us to within an ace of the minor premiership.
    Gone are King and Watmough, and Buhrer may not be fit, so those 3 can be replaced by Mateo, Mason, and Burgess, who are the most experienced of our new men.

The wing spot will go on form. Seems to be between Blair, Wolfman and Gutherson unless Jorge proves his fitness.

Leary, Cheeky, and Hodges the main 3 putting on early pressure for a spot in the 17...?

At this early stage I like the depth.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ManlyArmy

ManlyArmy Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +939 / 23
    Here's how I'd start.

1. Snake
    2. Horhay
    3. Lyon
    4. Matai
    5. Hiku
    6. Foz
    7. DCE
    8. Starling
    9. Ballin
    10. Lawrence
    11. Buhrer/Leary (Depends if Buhrer can start the season)
    12. JSL
    13. Mateo

14. Hodges/Burgess
    15. Mason
    16. Chee Kam
    17. Leary/Buhrer/Jake T

9. kingoftherodeo

kingoftherodeo Active Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 7
    Stewart
    Tafua/turbo/gutho/wolfman
    Lyon
    Matai
    Hiku
    Foran
    Cherry Evans
    Buhrer
    Leary
    Mateo
    Lawrence
    Ballin
    Starling

Hodges
    Burgess
    Luis/JSL
    Mason

10. Pepi

Pepi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 20
    Lui is a must either at Lock or bench forward.

• Like Like x 2
  11. cherry_poppins

cherry_poppins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,038 / 131
    No idea what this Hiku fetish you all have is,Taufua, Wolf, TT and Guthbo should be ahead on the pecking order

12. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,147 / 291
    A YART thread? Jeez guys, we have some depth this season. I hope
    I kinda feel the same as you Cherry. His defense leaves a lot to be desired. But on his day, he does remind me of Steven Bell - but that is ON his day.

13. cherry_poppins

cherry_poppins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,038 / 131
    I think he's a centre personally, playing him on the wing is silly

14. midget bank manager

midget bank manager Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    i dont see what the fascination is with wolfman, the guy cant catch a high ball and is terrible in defence, its time to bring along the young guys in gutherson and young tom, let them share one of the wing spots, im sure injury will keep give them both a chance on one of the flanks at various times , jorge is also a liability under the high ball and any more shockers from him should see his name read out with wolfies in the reggies, he is also under a injury cloud so will miss the first game at least.
    the second rowers, horo and symonds need to improve if they are going to start or be in the 17

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,786 / 258
    I'm with you midge, I'm a Cheyse Blair fan so I'd run with him in the same spot.

And I have been saying it for a while now , Leary WILL be the buy of the year , if not the Rookie of the year for the whole game.

That is if he can get a start to show what he can do.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Bandit

Bandit Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +167 / 5
    Not sure about round 1, but this is the way I'd like to see the side finish up;

1. Snake
    2. T.Turbo LW
    3. Killer c
    4. Skivvy
    5. Blair RW
    6. Foz
    7. Sid
    8. Aldi Burgess
    9. Ballin
    10. Lawrence
    11. JSL
    12. Mateo
    13. Mason

14. Vave
    15. J.Turbo
    16. Ferris
    17. Lui

Hiku just misses out. He and 10 others will get opportunities during the year.

You must have a big, strong forward pack and bench to dominate.

From there, the backs can create and win matches.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ShanghaiEagle

ShanghaiEagle Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    We have great potential this year, feels like the start of a new generation. Manly at 15-1 now is a steal!

Wolfman and Tafua are no good under the high ball, it’s been shown up in pressure finals games over the past two years, and Wolfman’s line defence is also suspect. They’ll both be exposed again in big end of season games. For all their strengths, that rules them out for me on the wing from here on in. Gutho and Hiku are both safe in that regard and good all round. Gutho looks to me like he has enormous potential in attack as well, a future star. Tom T needs some time on the wing in firsts this year as well. If Snake is injured, he’ll no doubt get it with either he or Gutho going to fullback. Cheyse Blair as a further backup.

Prop rotation looks good. We have Starling, Williams, Burgess, Lawrence. Plus coming through if any of Turbo, Vave, Sao or even Uiti Baker work out this year, we have a formidable front row – I haven’t seen most of them play (being a long way away!), so I’m just crossing my fingers. I’d say Burgess will have cemented a starting position after a few games. Big Willy on the bench for short sharp stints.

If there is enough prop depth, Lawrence to second row to give us size and speed there. We’ve all seen him make breaks and his speed, now let him train for it and give him that role on the edge. Along with Symonds, Buhrer, Mateo, Leary, JHL, Liu and Horo there is a ton of back row choice.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Loobs

Ratings:
    +6,420 / 257
    BJ to the second row only works if his neck is ok now and he can actually turn his head sideways to see if there is someone to pass to :tearsofjoy:

19. Snake

Ratings:
    +2,536 / 135
    I like Burgess in the 17, but he is not a starter; he is only good for 20 minutes a game. It's not a lack of fitness, but he is very no frills and should only be used to "hold up an end" when our better players need a rest.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,625 / 132
    I would have Hodges on the bench, taking the spot of the 10 minute forward we have used a lot over the last 5 years

• Like Like x 1