Ramien ready to rock the Auckland nines

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Young gun adamant he can handle himself with the big boys
January 29, 2016 12:55pm
Andrew PrenticeManly Daily
09bfc1bb65dff09384a5e8e4d6f78556

Sea Eagles young gun Jesse Ramien.

AN OFF-SEASON spent training with New Zealand international Steve Matai has Jesse Ramien confident he will handle the rigours of the NRL Auckland Nines next weekend.

The 18-year-old is tipped to be the bolter in Trent Barrett’s squad and the speed machine doesn’t think he will be out of his depth.

“I’m really looking forward to playing in the Nines. The extra open space and the speed of the game will suit my style,’’ Ramien said.

“We will field a fairly competitive squad and it will be a great experience to be able to play at Eden Park in front of big crowds over the two days.

“I will be looking to make the most of my opportunities in the Manly jumper and to be able to show Trent and the coaching staff what I can do at the top level.”

If he keeps improving the small aspects of his game, Ramien is likely to place first grade over the next few winters

v1

Ramien was a vital cog in Manly’s charge to the NYC under-20s grand final last year versus the Panthers, scoring 13 tries in 25 appearances.

He also represented NSW’s under-18s against Queensland at the MCG.

The Central Coast product didn’t need to be asked twice when invited to train with the NRL squad over summer at Narrabeen.

754a945504537db23686580b8a41398d

Jesse Ramien.
“It has been a great experience. You learn so much each day in terms of how to prepare, what to eat and when to eat, to having the right attitude,’’ Ramien said.

“It has been a great opportunity for me. Trent has told me to be confident in defence and to work more on my attack in a one-on-one situation.

“Steve Matai has been a great help to me. To be able to learn from one of the game’s best centres is amazing.”

Once Ramien enters the fray across the ditch next weekend, cheering loudest will be his family.

His thoughts will be with them as well as his two-year-old daughter, Lasharn.

“I love being a father, I might only be young myself but it has made me grow up a lot quicker,’’ Ramien said.

“I realise now that I need to make the most of my opportunities with Manly, especially for my little girl.

“It is not just about me anymore.”

I'm assuming that with Wright, he should be one of Manly's stars this year in U20 and the next generation on the way up the ranks. Another to hold onto. Hope he does well as 9s.

Wow, 18 and already has a 2 year old child. Choc and Hoppa used to be the exceptions to early parenthood @:)

Jesse was great last year in the NYC.
He has also bulked up in the off season, so will be a great back up for Manly :)

Tuesday is the day of the 9's Team announcements.

Wow, 18 and already has a 2 year old child. Choc and Hoppa used to be the exceptions to early parenthood @:)

He has also bulked up in the off season, so will be a great back up for Manly :)

Yeah I thought the same thing about the kid. Was Choc his mentor?

“It has been a great experience. You learn so much each day in terms of how to prepare, what to eat and when to eat, to having the right attitude,’’ Ramien said.

Interesting point - only last year that was "eat Maccas"and "whenever the **** you want"

Yes ally of people saying he is not ready to play NRL yet, he's my Matai replacement in 2 years or next year when Matai retire a bit like gagai IMO

I have seen this guy play and he does have potential and time will tell how good he will be.
Do you guys think he will develop into a better player than the young Dean Whare that used to play for us ?

I have seen this guy play and he does have potential and time will tell how good he will be.
Do you guys think he will develop into a better player than the young Dean Whare that used to play for us ?
At his rate of growth, he will be in the backrow soon :)

I think this is great for Jesse to get a taste of NRL and have something to aim for ......I hope he kills it

Yea I think he will he has never played his own age always up 1 or 2 ages I think he is our next centre in the future been in 20 since he was 16 played for nsw and was great

Some of the comments I have read here are so misguided. He is a fantastic prospect, but has a long way to go to be NRL standard. He is a lovely fellow though!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6