Raiders not happy with Draw

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Raiders are still the one
Jon Tuxworth November 24, 2012

The NRL's most powerful man was revealed on Friday, his name is David … Gyngell. Any doubts the Channel Nine boss is the game's most influential figure were dispelled when the free-to-air network delivered an emphatic ''stuff you'' to the Raiders.

Canberra has been allocated just one game on Channel Nine for the first 20 rounds - and don't hold your breath about it getting any love in the final six rounds, even if it's leading the competition.

Geography and fan base constraints means the Raiders can never expect to enjoy the same free-to-air coverage as the big drawcards, led by the Broncos, Tigers and Bulldogs.

But there's a difference between the Raiders being overlooked because of ''commercial realities'' and Channel Nine treating them like something they've just dug out of their ear.

Granted, Channel Nine paid $1 billion-plus a year for the NRL rights, which has resulted in greater funding packages for each club, and a higher salary cap.

Channel Nine would not have paid as much if they were not warranted any say in what games they televise. But does that give them the right to play dictator in this instance?

David Smith may officially be the boss, but it's his namesake who really pulls the strings.

Normally, the Sydney media have about as much time for the Raiders as Daniel Geale does for Anthony Mundine. But at Friday's news conference in Sydney, one of the first queries raised was Canberra's poor free-to-air coverage.

Not Sonny Bill Williams' first Roosters game, or Israel Folau's return to rugby league for the Eels, but ''do you think Canberra has been dudded?''

The response from interim NRL boss Shane Mattiske was so vague it would make a politician blush.

Mattiske: ''We've worked very hard with our free-to-air and pay television broadcasters, to try and deliver the best combination of value to those broadcasters, and the matches our fans want to see.'' Translation: ''Channel Nine hates the Raiders and they don't want a bar of them. Also, the Raiders have no fans and nobody wants to watch them on TV.''

Mattiske: ''We're very proud of the fact we've been able to achieve 14 of our 16 teams in the Friday night slots for our first 20 rounds.''
Translation: ''Newcastle and Penrith rate almost as badly as the Raiders.''

Mattiske: ''We're working with the broadcast partners and Channel Nine, who bring forward the selections they'd like to see. They've certainly extracted some requirements to ensure they deliver some value back to the business.''
Translation: ''Not having to cover the Raiders was top of that list. Gyngell said if the Raiders were given any more than a delayed game against Souths on his network, he'd give me a Chinese burn and I won't be invited to the Christmas party.''

Mattiske: ''The final six rounds of the competition are yet to be scheduled, they'll be scheduled after round 16, but Canberra does feature in the first 20 rounds on free-to-air TV.''
Translation: ''Geez the Raiders are on free-to-air TV once, what are they whingeing about? We'll hold a press conference after round 16 and give the impression they were considered, when they weren't. Let's all hope they buy it!''

NRL general manager of football operations Nathan McGuirk wasn't spared from the ''was Canberra dudded?'' interrogation.

McGuirk: ''They open their [home] season with one of their biggest games of the year against the Dragons in round three, and we've placed a special match prior to the Anzac Test against the Warriors in the week leading up to that, which I know Canberra is very excited about. There's a lot of positive aspects in their draw as well.''
Translation: ''We've offered a couple of small gestures, which have absolutely no effect on our bottom line. So surely all is forgiven?''

Led by the likes of Josh Dugan, Blake Ferguson and Jarrod Croker, the youthful Raiders play an exciting brand that the NRL should be promoting.

Plenty of impartial fans I know love watching the Raiders because of their expansive approach. Much more enjoyable than a dour side such as the Dragons.

Unfortunately, supporters without pay TV will remain in the dark.

I don't blame the Raiders for being annoyed. I live in Canberra these days and the Raiders have been getting a bum steer (on the free to air front) from the NRL for years.

And please, no - 'They joined Superleague so it serves them right if they get dudded now' type arguments.

Brookie said:
all RL fans should have foxtel

There is some sense in that and most do. This has been covered in the past but some body corporates won't allow it to be connected to their building so those miss out, and not every family can afford it.

The basic issue is that out of some 60 games already scheduled the Raiders get one on FTA. That is rubbish and I'm not surprised that they have gone off. It is unfair to their sponsors just for starters. New year, new admin, same problems.

You're never going to please every club and its supporters, but when the AFL are targeting the ACT relentlessly with the GWS, upgrades to Manuka Oval to host the GWS, and the so-called North-Eastern AFL up and running (which has Canberra teams involved), plus the Brumbies et al, the Raiders need all the help they can get. More free to air games for them would be a step in the right direction.

And I do have Foxtel at home.

Brookie said:
all RL fans should have foxtel

That's ridiculous. We can't get it where we live. And besides, that sort of thinking has contributed to the discrimination of fans who want to attend matches.

Almost $20 a week for the sole purpose of watching Manly SOME weeks. No thanks, that money is better spent elsewhere. Really, it's getting to the point where if Manly aren't involved, I couldn't give a f**k what's going on with the NRL since it is becoming so inaccessible. Dogs and Donkeys every friday night, no thanks. Delayed game on Sunday or paying through the nose for Foxtel. All highly unappealing options. Then we get 7 out of 18 games on Monday nights and TBH the NRL/ARLC can get f**ked.

wombatgc said:
Unless you can't get foxtel for technical reasons, I can see no other reason to not have it on.

Wow, it must be nice to live a life where you don't have to worry about money. Want to pay for Foxtel for me?

wombatgc said:
firechild said:
wombatgc said:
Unless you can't get foxtel for technical reasons, I can see no other reason to not have it on.

Wow, it must be nice to live a life where you don't have to worry about money. Want to pay for Foxtel for me?

Mate seriously $20 a week to watch the best game in the world....four schooners a week, a packet of fags, priorities...:s

I don't smoke and I'd be lucky to have 1 beer a week. Tell me again about these priorities.

There's a lot of people struggling financially out there, and with league being the working mans game, it's a natural assumption that quite a lot of the game's fans will be struggling. I'm certainly not in a position to afford Foxtel at the moment, and haven't been for a few years. I don't smoke, drink rarely, and am sctraching my head to work out what I should give up that is less critical to my life than Foxtel. Nup, can't think of anything.

Hey - look at the adorable cute penguin everyone!

Awwwwwww

2db7Q.jpg

globaleagle said:
Hey - look at the adorable cute penguin everyone!

Awwwwwww

2db7Q.jpg

He looks like his Mum just told him they can't afford Foxtel. Penguins love the Raiders due to the cold they experience.

I do feel sorry for those that can't afford Foxtel and I'd assume they can't afford the Internet and a mobile phone as well...but maybe not! If they can then fishing might be the best option

Its not just the sports package...you have to have the basic package,and add the sports option on top of that.With Austar,it used to cost me 69 or so $$ a month to watch some races and a few NRL games.Maybe if they gave you a $20 sports option only deal,they'd get heaps more.Hell,Id pay 30 a month to get JUST the racing channels and fox 1,2 and 3.

Lets face it without sport Fox would have nothing....I mean who would pay $100 a month for the rest of the garbage that's on there.

My wife watches a few cooking shows and certainly the real estate shows, and I watch the NRL and the Big Bash cricket.

As I have said elsewhere on here I would happily pay on a "pay per view" basis to see my side play live every game....but I just can;t see that generating enough money for that to ever happen.

In the UK with 95 million people watching the EPL...maybe, but not here

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6