R7 MANLY NSW CUP V WINDSOR WOLVES

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
simon64 said:
Shoe1 said:
Jethro said:
Shoe1 said:
simon64 said:
Yes. From Baulkham Hills.
Who was that guy? Tony somebody?

Tony Packard from Tony Packard Holden who used to end his ads with "just up the Windsor Road from Baulkham Hills, and let me do it right for you!".

That's right, Packard.

Clearly I'm not the only one old enough to remember really bad advertising.

Haha - I haven't lived in Sydney for 30 years but I remember that ad. Classic.

With our NRL stars starting to drop by the wayside one way or another, maybe the motivation was there this time.
Fearless prediction: George to work his way into the picture after a slow start - and play a role in our success this year, as he did in 2011.
By rights he should be coming into his prime, and he did look good in the all-stars. He has the ability and the opportunity. No excuses George.

apparently our boys won 22-20,chee kam hurt his ankle,not serious they are saying and Jesse is on report

VBNSWC CUP MANLY 22 seage chee kam tonga sene lafao tries
chisolm 3/4 beat windsor 20
chee kam apparently ankle injury doesnt appear serious
sene lafao placed on report

It was 3rd versus 11th last night at Windsor Oval, the hallowed playing field of the “Wolfpack” as they are colloquially known out these parts. Of course they are better known to the wider rugby league community as the Penrith Panthers feeder club. And you could tell you were in Panthers territory, aside from the abundance of flannelette shirts and tracky dacks, with Phil Gould, Ivan Cleary and David Fairleigh all in attendance.

The match had been touted as generation next – a reference to Gus Gould’s elevation of a few of Penrith’s young guns from the 20’s including George Jennings, Michael’s brother who bagged a double in last week’s 20’s Origin. Ultimately, it was one of the young guns, fullback Kieran Moss, who spilled the ball near his line at the end of the game for Jesse Sene-Lafao to stroll over under the posts for the match winning try.

David Gower did not play as anticipated. I suspect Tooves may have pulled him out with next week in mind.

The match was a real grinding affair and there were not many line breaks from either side. Many of the trys came from kicks – both in the air and grubbers.

Manly’s first try came from a grubber by five eight Dane Chisholm who kicked the ball from the right side of the field to the left side for his halves partner Jason Seage who flew from nowhere to touch down. This guy has serious pace.

Manly’s second try came in the 37th minute when Michael Chee Kam stormed on to a Dane Chisholm short ball 15 metres out to show everyone at Manly what we had seen of him as a Canberra young gun. Chee Kam went off injured in the 52nd minute with a leg injury. It was a shame because he was playing really well. I don’t know the extent of the injury.

Manly’s 3rd try went to centre Esi Tonga after Jason Seage bamboozled the Wolves defence with some nice footwork and then a deft grubber into the in-goal for Tonga to touch down.

The last Manly try came in the 77th minute with Manly behind 16-20. A kick was dropped by the Wolves fullback and like a thief in the night, former Wolves star turned villain, Jesse Sene-Lafao scooped up the ball and ran 5 metres to score the match winner.

The look on the faces of the Penrith triumvirate of Gould, Cleary & Fairleigh after the game was priceless!

Manly were the underdogs but whoever wrote the script didn’t tell them because they certainly didn’t play like they were the underdogs. Toovey made a plea to the team last week to put more mongrel into the tackle and that’s just what they did. Aggression was everywhere. Great stuff.

It’s hard to pick out the best players as it was a great team effort. Three of our four trys came from efforts of the halves Jason Seage and Dane Chisholm and that deserves mention.

Manly 22 (Seage, Chee Kam, Tonga, Sene Lefao, Chisholm 3/4) def Windsor Wolves 20 (Nabuli, Moss, Satini, G Jennings, Satini 1/3, John 1/1)

With some Manly NRL players under a cloud for next week’s game due to injury and possible suspension some of the reserve grade players may have to step up.

George Rose played strong. Has recently expressed a desire to surf on Saturdays rather than play footy but he ain’t stupid, he sniffed an opportunity and played accordingly.

Jesse Sene-Lafao played well after a few weeks out with injury. He is on report for a high shot but I didn’t see too much in it and he should be right for next week.

Ligi Sao did what he has done all season – cart the ball up strong and tackle anything that moves in front of him. He would not let the NRL boys down.

Michael Chee Kam played well last night but has struggled to reproduce his Canberra form since coming back from off-season surgery. I don't think he is ready yet and he is also under an injury cloud after coming off injured last night.

Peter Hiku went ok but nothing spectacular. He was safe at the back but it was a tough night for free running footy.

Esi Tonga made a few bursts and scored a good try. His defence is also good. Might be time for Esi to stand up?

Graet to hear George playing well again and seems like at the right time. This team is quite strong and nice to see a good result with the right attitude. Tooves would be pleased.

Gower, Hiku and Sene Lafao will most likely play due to being picked in the 17 in the past. They will come in for the suspended.

Thanks FB. Great match report and well appreciated. What a surprise Manly winning against one of the top sides. Great to see. Now if the U20 kids could start winning, we may begin to see some hope for the three grades.

Gee I wish it was like the old days where these games were played at the same venue so Manly fans could see the reserves and U20s that are coming up. We lost a lot when they changed the structure.

Bearfax said:
Thanks FB. Great match report and well appreciated. What a surprise Manly winning against one of the top sides. Great to see. Now if the U20 kids could start winning, we may begin to see some hope for the three grades.

Gee I wish it was like the old days where these games were played at the same venue so Manly fans could see the reserves and U20s that are coming up. We lost a lot when they changed the structure.

Totally agree. It is terrific to hear about our reserves - but we should be able to see them. I get to watch the Under 20s, but it's not the same. I do think our under 20s are playing much better, even if they are losing. They are taking more pride in their defence, which may be a Tooves influence. Our under 20s seem a small side, and tend to get outmuscled. But it's good to see them having a real crack.

That's a hard one KE as I don't see them train and only go on current form. Easy to comment when the race is over. To be fair, you could go through the poll about the Souths game thread and there was only 10/72 think Souths would win which they did easily. Over half of our fans basically said we would win easily.

People have shots at me when I mentioned juniors who could kick on. Like you, I don't personally know them or their desire to make it. I only saw them play and it wasn't good. Others mentioned it and going to cold old Windsor I felt would have been a hard place to win. Maybe Tooves threatened a few with dismissal??

Glenn Stewart wasn't a stand out and look where he is. Aaron Groom was running riot and look where he ended up. Kevin Locke I have read is copping flack at Warriors and yet a few years ago was going to be the superstar. Who would have picked Brenton Lawrence to be a Manly starting prop at 28.

Darren said:
That's a hard one KE as I don't see them train and only go on current form. Easy to comment when the race is over. To be fair, you could go through the poll about the Souths game thread and there was only 10/72 think Souths would win which they did easily. Over half of our fans basically said we would win easily.

People have shots at me when I mentioned juniors who could kick on. Like you, I don't personally know them or their desire to make it. I only saw them play and it wasn't good. Others mentioned it and going to cold old Windsor I felt would have been a hard place to win. Maybe Tooves threatened a few with dismissal??

Glenn Stewart wasn't a stand out and look where he is. Aaron Groom was running riot and look where he ended up. Kevin Locke I have read is copping flack at Warriors and yet a few years ago was going to be the superstar. Who would have picked Brenton Lawrence to be a Manly starting prop at 28.

Well said! Lawrence is 28?!?! Geez I thought he was 25 at the most. He's been our best prop by far this season.

Darren said:

Only winding you up mate

You will never see me make many big comments on reserve grade, because I never see them play

As you say we barely see them train and play, that is why I comment on how silly I find it when people watch 1 game and immediately say he is past it, can't play NRL etc. Rose is an example of that, Esi Tonga another. They had a poor day when you watched them, but it was only 1 game and no real case to make firm judgements on individuals

If Matai is gone for next week, which he shouldn't be, I want to see Tonga playing 1sts

I can't finish this post though without mentioning Lussicks quiet, 4 try game you attended a while back ;)

KaZa said:
Gower, Hiku and Sene Lafao will most likely play due to being picked in the 17 in the past. They will come in for the suspended.

Fa'aoso needs to be replaced with a prop so it's probably Rose but wouldn't mind seeing Sao given a go.
Matai needs to be replaced with another center so it should be Tonga but I suspect 2V is going to go with Buhrer or Tommy S.
Snake will be replaced by Hiku BUT where is Farrar ?
King injured again so Sao may get a run as well.

mickqld said:
KaZa said:

Fa'aoso needs to be replaced with a prop so it's probably Rose but wouldn't mind seeing Sao given a go.
Matai needs to be replaced with another center so it should be Tonga but I suspect 2V is going to go with Buhrer or Tommy S.
Snake will be replaced by Hiku BUT where is Farrar ?
King injured again so Sao may get a run as well.

Who was #21 that came out and warmed up on Friday night?

It wasn't Sao or Jesse.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4