R17 MANLY NSW CUP V ILLAWARRA

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just finished watching it, great effort from the NSW Cup guys

Very impressed with our forward pack, plenty of NRL capable players in there and those worried about depth should be encouraged by what they saw

Sao looks NRL ready, would love to see him given a go, can see exactly why Chee Kam gets the chat about him as well, especially considering he just came back from injury

Sene-Lafao looked good, Skinner showed good touches and Strickland does some nice stuff as well and Gower is very dependable

Chisholm deserves a game next weekend against the Cowboys so I hope Tooves goes in his direction

Higgins had a couple of good runs but don't think he is the answer in replacing Ballin for 20mins. Hiku displayed his talents a couple of times and Gutherson shows a bit of class as well, apart from on the top of his head

Those knee injuries look to have really shot Farrar, a shadow of what he used to be filling in for us.

We have the TV game next week too so will be good to see if these guys back up

Napper said:
Farrar is past it. Poor guy looks so slow.

He took that intercept, and couldn't run himself back into traffic quick enough.
Sao is a goer.

Im sure they've got Chee Kam pencilled in for the left edge position next year, where Horo is currently playing. Maybe that's why Horo was only signed for 1 year originally.

the mauler said:
Im sure they've got Chee Kam pencilled in for the left edge position next year, where Horo is currently playing. Maybe that's why Horo was only signed for 1 year originally.

Yeah especially considering he was playing on the right today. o_O

All jokes aside, that's where he should be. Foz matai MCK Taufua. Monster left edge. I think if we hang onto Dce and Foran, And keep him, Gutherson, Sao, Trbojevic etc.. Manly will remain pretty competitive for the next 10 years. It's just a matter of keeping them on the books while guys like the Stewart brothers, Choc, Matai and Lyon get to finish here as well.

Napper said:
the mauler said:

Yeah especially considering he was playing on the right today. o_O

I know he played on the right today, but Gifts on that side and Tooves won't be moving him.

Thanks for the entertaining comments guys. Enjoyed it. Great to see Manly get a win and for Sao. Hiku, Chisholm, Gutherson and Chee-Kam to start to show why they are highly thought of. Sounds like Strickland is OK too.

Maybe you guys saw a different match to me.
Everything was in slow-motion; slow to get off the tackled player (ref's fault perhaps), slow to play the ball, slow to get passes out down the backline.
Silly passes = loss of possession. Turnstile defensive effort - not one but sometimes four defenders.

Nick Skinner couldn't have had a worse start to any game; dropped ball, lost it in the tackle, missed tackles, knock-on, and that was only in the first 20 minutes.

Sao was very ordinary in defense.

I thought the first 20 minutes were woeful & I expected a cricket-score against us but they came back. Was it our reversal of form or the Cutters' giving up?

Anyway, I reckon the NRL forwards are sitting pretty contentedly up there in first grade because no one is knocking on the door ready to go up a grade!

Clinton Gutherson, for a teenager, had a blinder.
Astro Boy, Farrer, had a shocker!

lismore_fan said:
Maybe you guys saw a different match to me.
Everything was in slow-motion; slow to get off the tackled player (ref's fault perhaps), slow to play the ball, slow to get passes out down the backline.

You got to lay off that fine Lismore grass man. :p

two sides at the bottom of a weak NSW CUP competition doing battle.I would be wary drawing too much from a game like this-the difference in class is extreme.

Really enjoyed this game - turned it on at Illawarra leading 14-0 so missed the shocking start.
Strange game in NSW Cup with the players at times playing at a great level then dropping to ordinary. Even the intensity at times just drops from 85% - 5% with massive shifts of momentum. Some good performances in patches with Chee Kam making some nice runs. Sao also looked good providing some 2nd phase footy after standing in tackles, but both guilty of some sloppy defence. Chisolm also sharp with the footy, but his defence IS the reason we wont see him in the top grade. Higgins was solid & the 2 young stars Gutherson & Trobovic were standouts imo & not too far from the NRL 17. Both will see action in 2014 on that performance. Exceeded expectations as boys against men & more than held there own, considering Illawarra had a monster pack Jake Trobovic stood up to them winning most battles.
Farrar was...not great & his speed has possably dropped to that of an average foward, also spilled a few balls - his NRL days are gone.
Showed this Manly team would trouble most in the NSW Cup but the consistency would drive a coach crazy. All in all a 7/10 performance including some gritty defence the last 5 minutes to hold Illawarra out for 3-4 sets on the line to hold on for victory.

Lemalu, Sao, Trobjevic, Sene-Lafao & Chee Kam from the forwards did well. Surely at least a couple of these have big things ahead of them. In the backs Gutherson showed pace and skill, and the 17 year-old halfback looks a good prospect too. Not so sure about Chisolm though.

I thought Justin Lemalu and Sene-Lafao were our best closely followed by Higgins and Sao. Chisholm was creative and his kicking game is good. Unfortunately his defence was poor yesterday. Some days he is on and other days he is off.

Gutherson does show promise in attack but his defence was also poor yesterday. It's good that he is getting a shot at this level so I hope the coaches will work on this aspect of his game.

Gower toiled hard and mention should be made of the good defence of Troy Savage out in the centres.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2