Questions About Monaghan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
1. Is it acceptable that the man, who dragged our club through so much mud in 2005 to get his contract, should then turn around and want out of it only half way through?

2. Should the club even consider honoring his contract if he cannot find another team? It appears he isn't a man of his word, so why should we keep him under the circumstances. It could just turn into another problem should a team want him further down the track.

3. Should he sign with another club, should we play him in PL for the rest of the season to properly blood Ballin before he has no backup?

4. Who's signature would you most like to see with the free $240K :yeah:

1. I will accept it, no troubles at all.
2. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
3. Not PL but definitely on the bench in the Halden role Des seems to favour.
4. O'Donnell

1. Yes, its not like Manly havn't tried to offload him at every chance, im fine with it

2.If he can't find another team he stays on as an integral member of the squad

3.No, definantly not, were not children were a professional football club, players sign elsewhere every year

4.O'Donnell, without a doubt

1/ No it is not acceptable but it seems to be happening more these days - not just at Manly and not just with Concentric. Contracts these days don't seem to be worth the paper they are written on!

2/ Manly would have to pay out his contract of $240k if he can't find another club. In the end - no choice!

3/ Interchange bench for him & start with Ballin. Good for depth!

4/ O'Donnell and upgrade a few contracts to lock the younger ones in for longer!

From all reports Monnas has asked for a release for his 2008 contract. No doubt he is unhappy playing hooker and wants to try and cash in on his recent good form.

However I am really annoyed that he has done this now and that it has hit the paper. This should have been done quietly and with no press so that it doesn't disrupt our season.

If we have another repeat of 2005 and his form drops then he should be bannished to PL and Halden prmoted to take his place.

1. No
2. No
3. No (squeeze every last drop out of him)
4. Share it around to tup up several deals that are already in the offing.

im sick of him, unfortunately was just warming to him, that ends this minute. I dont have a problem with what he is doing in principal, but to have it released, again with his slimeball manager at his side, in RLW . Mayby im overreacting. But he should now find himself as the reserve utilty on the bench while Travis and Ballin are fit.

1. Yes. If he wants to play half and we can cover his position with someone like Ballin, let him look. RLW said he was only being given three weeks to look for another club, so it should be sorted out quickly unlike 2005.

3. No. Let Ballin play off the interchange for this year to ease him in.

4. Upgrades for other players.

2. Yes. He's still good for the team this year.

1. Is it acceptable that the man, who dragged our club through so much mud in 2005 to get his contract, should then turn around and want out of it only half way through? I don't see much of a problem with it.. happens all the time these days and I for one have gotten over something that happened 2 year ago.

2. Should the club even consider honoring his contract if he cannot find another team? It appears he isn't a man of his word, so why should we keep him under the circumstances. It could just turn into another problem should a team want him further down the track? Yeah, they should as he is capable of helping Manly succeed.

3. Should he sign with another club, should we play him in PL for the rest of the season to properly blood Ballin before he has no backup? If he wants to sign for another club mid year than yes i would say he should go to PL.. BUT considering he is a handy player and could help us achieve our 07 goal he may find himself on the bench.

4. Who's signature would you most like to see with the free $240K :yeah: Luke O'Donnell

1. I'd imagine he can see the position Manly are in with Burns, orford and ballin at the club. It was worth asking knowing that Manly may also favour this option considering Ballin and Burn's contract needs to be upgraded, and you don't want fair $$ sitting on the bench or PL. They've given him a window - I'm not sweating on him leaving, but give him all year to look for a club. Win/Win

2. Yes Manly should, reasons as per answer #1

3. Des should play him where required.

4. Meteo? (Parra bloke). Concerned about O'Donnell's injuries and suspensions to be paying big $$

I hold no grudges re Monaghan and his position with the club. He gives 100% whilst on the paddock and is entitled to do the very best for his career.

I don't rate him our best half or best hooker and think that he is probably being paid too much but noone can knock his form in 2007.

He isn't St Lazarus as some are suggesting and the Spit Bridge won't fall into the harbour should he leave Manly.

I would rather keep Burns, Ballin and Orford but apart from not turning up to the 2005 End of Season function I can't see what Monaghan has done wrong.

I hold no grudges re Monaghan and his position with the club. He gives 100% whilst on the paddock and is entitled to do the very best for his career.

I don't rate him our best half or best hooker and think that he is probably being paid too much but noone can knock his form in 2007.

He isn't St Lazarus as some are suggesting and the Spit Bridge won't fall into the harbour should he leave Manly.

I would rather keep Burns, Ballin and Orford but apart from not turning up to the 2005 End of Season function I can't see what Monaghan has done wrong.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

I dont see what all the fuss is about apart from a bit of mutual crap from both him and the club in 2005 he has done all that has been asked of him.

He is signed as a half from Canberra
Orford is signed so he moves to hooker where he plays well in 2006 even though he would prefer a halves position
Orford gets injured in 2007 he slots in at half, plays out of his skin and decides he would like to continue in this role
He knows that there are a few clubs on the lookout for halfbacks and realises that he will be either hooker or bench utility for the rest of the year and risks being forgotten about in a halfback role if he does nothing.
What better time to tie up 2008 than when in good form in 2007.
Make it public so that supporters etc from other teams may be able to put preasure on officials to offer him a contract.

In the end we are in a win win situation as he will be giving his all in the next few weeks and if he does sign elsewhere we have extra money in the kick.

Are some posters so naive that they dont think the club has given him a little whisper in the ear and said now is a good time after your games at half?

[quote author=Canteen Worker]
but apart from not turning up to the 2005 End of Season function I can't see what Monaghan has done wrong.

Old age is catching up with your memory.

[/quote]As a professional sportsman he wanted more money and took what the stupid club was willing to offer, despite having a better half up their sleeves. Had the club stood their ground there wouldn't have been an issue - he was Captain of a winning team at the time.

I know we differed then on our reactions to this issue (in 2005), but I didn't have a problem with anyone but Banaghan, alerting the Telegraph to contract negotiations and Monaghan then not turning up to the end of season function as stipulated in his contract. The rest is typical of any professional who believes he is worth a certain amount. Sure he has an ego but he has plenty fellow-travellers in that category on this site. ;)

I have been for and against Monas during his tenure. His public stoush in 2005 was poor form and this current announcement smacks a bit of the same. So I am disappointed in him and the timing of the announcement when we are in such a positive position.

On the other hand, as other posters have said, he has kept his head low since the blow of Orford's impending arrival, and since then given virtually no reason to criticise him, and given 100% every game to the best of his ability.

CW your poll has a central western bias

How about an option of good luck to him if he can get a halback position at another club
Are you suggesting I pander to the Great White One of the Western Plains???? (And I am not talking about the White Rhino at Dubbo Zoo!!!! :lol:

Happy to add another category as suggested! 8)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2