Question: how does a team "time it's run" ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bazeagle

Bencher
ie: is it all about ramping up the training effort at this stage of the season? Is it about concentrating on perfecting new and existing set plays in attack?
How does this work? It's not like a runner getting in position like Bolt in the 200m final on the turn so he can kill them in the straight.
Just wondering..

I'm not sure how they do it in League. One of the considerations is match fitness, you can only play at a high intensity for a few weeks before it takes it's toll (physical and mental), your body simply can't sustain it.

I'm not sure about the exact nature of how they do it but i have a window into timing training having done plenty of running training. the timing is about the intensity and type of training completed, as an example a typical plan I would follow for a marathon would be 4 week cycles over a 6 month period. Those 4 week cycles would group into 3 2 month cycles

Cycle 1 - Base (you can't build a tower without a foundation)
Cycle 2 - strength/endurance (giving your body the tools to achieve the target(
Cycle 3 - Speed

Following this there is a 3 week taper, here you allow your body to recover, repair etc for the big day.

The same philosophy can be applied to any training - ultimately the team does enough to get to the finals, a few weeks before the benefit of their hard training starts to show in strength, endurance and intensity. finals the hard training backs off a bit, this is what they have trained for. Now you start to see the real benefit of the hard Pre-season and regular season training. They are fit and firing.

I think they press start on their stopwatches when they start running then press stop when they've finished.

I reckon it's all in their heads. Some teams start lifting now some die off. Look at Melbourne (although cheating they aren't superhuman) they stayed dominant all season and made 4 grand finals in a row

I agree with VFTH. I think the taper is the key.

We all saw some performances during the year where the players looked like they could hardly put one foot in front of the other - those were the intense training weeks. At this stage of the year I think Tooves would generally be starting to cut back on the hard physical training sessions and focusing more on skills.

If Tooves has timed his run properly (and it appears at this stage as though he may have) we should still have plenty of improvement left in us.

Whatever we did in 2008 was an example of perfect timing. I'm sure Tooves was paying close attention at the time. Sure hope so!

2011 also, come to think of it. Stuff the minor premiership.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Whatever we did in 2008 was an example of perfect timing. I'm sure Tooves was paying close attention at the time. Sure hope so!

"Trained to the minute," as Phil Gould said. I will never forget that comment. :D

captainskin said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

"Trained to the minute," as Phil Gould said. I will never forget that comment. :D

"Imagine the Beaver scoring here"

Donny Singe is the master trainer. Best in the business and should take alot of credit for Manly firing at the business end of season.

the mauler said:
Donny Singe is the master trainer. Best in the business and should take alot of credit for Manly firing at the business end of season.

Spot on mate.

SeaEagleRock8 said:

I'm trying to remember how many minor premiers have won the premiership in the last 10 or so years, and I think that it was only the Dragons, not counting the cheats of course.

Its also a lot to do with experienced big match players who can change gears & go to another level in the finals games.
Its funny how in positions 1-13 on a footy field theres not many Manly players ranked as the best in their position apart from Lyon in recent times.
The thing is, all of them bar Taufua who is an absolute talent would be in the top 5 or close too in their relative positions & when you have that sort of talent across the park with no real weakness, it wins big matches.

Gorgeous George is timing his nudie run perfectly. Even spilled the pill over the line earlier this year to ensure he will be contesting the 400m.

MWSE said:
Gorgeous George is timing his nudie run perfectly. Even spilled the pill over the line earlier this year to ensure he will be contesting the 400m.

I am hoping he has a set of fluoro's ready for our run home:D

The shock value is akin to ALexander the Great using the elephants to startle the oppositions' horses :p

Love to see Wolfie design something for that canvas! I real arseterpiece:D

I think there's a massive element out of the control of coaches & players, which is injury. How do you manage to avoid injury at the pointy end of the season? Our injured players are all coming back into the team & hopefully with enough time to be match-fit & in form for the finals. We had similar dynamics in 08 & 11. I wonder how other Premiers in recent years compare with injuries. I think this is a big part of "timing your run." Although it was suspension not injury, Melbourne were a flop without Smith in 40nil.

So if you get fit (quality!) players on the park in August/September you can be said to have timed your run to perfection.

MK Eagle said:
Its also a lot to do with experienced big match players who can change gears & go to another level in the finals games.
Its funny how in positions 1-13 on a footy field theres not many Manly players ranked as the best in their position apart from Lyon in recent times.
The thing is, all of them bar Taufua who is an absolute talent would be in the top 5 or close too in their relative positions & when you have that sort of talent across the park with no real weakness, it wins big matches.

But to "change gears" you need the fitness, strength, stamina to do this. No point looking for 6th gear if your training has made you a 4 speed auto.

voicefromthehill said:
MK Eagle said:

But to "change gears" you need the fitness, strength, stamina to do this. No point looking for 6th gear if your training has made you a 4 speed auto.

Thats the point, we have 11-12 players who have 6 gears, whereas most other contenders have 3-4 players of this callibre & the rest are autos with no more to offer.
As for fitness, Manly like most clubs are well represented & by round 24 most would expect elements like fitness , strength & stamina to be primed with all the other NRL condenders.
It really will come down to desire & quality in 2012 & I stand by the claim we have the best team of big match players across the park & that will be the key difference....again.

There's a few factors that come into it. As Slide said, injuries/suspensions play a big part (which, at this stage has helped us with all our guns coming back at the business end). Origin I think plays a part as well, with the intensity it requires most players involved seem to go 'flat' for a few weeks after. Finally, and most importantly, the coaching staff ability to cope with all these factors. Each year we improved under Des, and I noticed the team seemed to 'peak' a little later each year until we got ot right. He and his coaching/playing staff tweaked things each year based on the previous years experience.

Some coaches however, don't seem willing/able to learn. Look at Brian Smith. When he has taken over teams, he has a reasonable record of getting to the GF, but his teams always seem to be dying on their run and fail to come up with the intensity required on the big day. He then, of course, stays to long, gives everyone the ****s and the team plays like busted's year after year.

Donny Singe just made a mention on his Facebook page about this time of season and how mind coaching plays a big part. Good read

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6