1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QLD Cup: Morwood The Best

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Jethro, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    I received this e-mail from the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles today and thought that I would share it:

Morwood The Best

In a year with so many great memories, the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles powerhouse front row forward Phil Morwood capped a remarkable season on Friday night by being named the Norm Provan Medallist for the rookie Club.

Morwood polled twenty nine votes during the twenty two home and away rounds to win the Player of the Year title by fourteen votes from Dennis Sandow.

Morwood was instrumental in the Sea Eagles premiership glory, scoring four consecutive Man of the Match efforts in the middle part of the season.

In the FOGS A Grade ranks Ben Whiddon was named the best of the best, while young Zach Henrickson was the Colt of the Year.

Former Kawana junior Paul Cohen won the inaugural Sea Eagles Spirit Award for epitomising respect at all levels of the club.

Administration dynamo Jodie King won Club Person of the Year.

To cap a memorable night at the Caloundra RSL, Brandon Costin was reappointed for Season 2010.  He quickly committed to new goals including winning the Club Championship.

Regards,

Justin Veivers

Chief Executive Officer

Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Morewood is obviously going to replace JWH next year on the bench.

3. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    Deadwood.......

He actually looked pretty good in the final and has been going well. He is up there with the coasts best, but he will never be a regular first grader

4. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Hopefully he will Dan.  He played OK in the Cup.  I'd be happy with him playing the Hall roll more than JWH or Cuthbo. 

5. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    True.

In any case, I wouldnt have the Hall role next year. We need more speed in the second row and lift the tempo.

6. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    Funny how he is constantly called deadwood and generally derided...as yet he was voted thebest player we have in the QLD cup......but hodgekinson (excuse the spelling) is being pushed as NRL quality based on his performances in the QLD cup

Maybe the standard is not that high. It does not mean hodgekinson is not a good player but it could be selective judgement to rate him with dead wood is the best player going around

7. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    And Eyore got Man of the match in the final.....it's a different game.

8. lsz

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
  9. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    when we beat the storm about 3 years ago when we have 8 players out Deadwood started and looked comfortable in the top grade (the only time). He has it in him but lacks the will power/confidence. Qld cup is his level and probably why we bought Matt Cross.

Good on him for winning the award and putting in a good year

10. nita

nita Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Moorewood has won quite a few of these player of the year type awards in the lower grades hasn't he? I could have sworn he's won at leat two whilst we had the reserve grade/premier league structure in the past..

I wonder how he can be so fantastic in lower grades and absolutely, well, deadwood when he's in firsts? Shows the gap between the grades I suppose.

11. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +507 / 20
    If he is so good, how come he hasn't got a contract from anyone else over the years

12. Pepi

Pepi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 20
    Gulavao (sp) has been playing prop for the Eels all year, with Cross as well we will have a bit of depth behind King, Kite, Perry and Rose.

13. Rambo1987

Rambo1987 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 2
    Cross will not be ready for season start with his knee as said in League Week 2 weeks back. Gulavao has been looking good this season but he is around 32-33 now. So either Morwood, Mauro or Palau need to step up next year.
    Does any know how Tim Brown went this season - my mate a mad Rabbits supporter was heart broken we stole this guy and I think he has had 2 seasons of bad injuries. 

14. blitzkrieg

blitzkrieg Active Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Congratulations Phil, big year with deserved rewards.

15. ads

ads Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1
    So because Deadwood is good in the lower grades but hasn't been great in Firsts, means that no one can ever make it from reserves? What a silly argument.

16. lsz

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    Not the argument....just saying it is easier to look good in reserve grade than first grade
    People have been talking Hodgekinson (spelling...) on the basis of his qld cup form. Whilst he might be a very talented player, i have not seen anything so can not judge, all the argument is that if deadwood is player of the year then the standard of the comp can not be that great

17. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    I read today that Squasher Wooden was named Country Player of the Year for 2009. This was on the back of captain coaching Wagga to the premeirship and winning man of the match in the GF.

18. Stiffi

Stiffi Active Member 2016 Tipping Competitor 2015 Tipping Competitor

He also won it in 2008

19. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    Morwood and Wooden! That sums up the level of these comps completely.

20. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    How much more wood would a wooden woodchuck chuck if a wooden woodchuck would chuck more wood?
    signed: Chuck