1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pushing in the scrum

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by The Who, Jul 29, 2013.

1. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 103
    Is this allowed? I thought not - but I would like to see it come back. The Tigers pushed us off the ball tonight in one scrum and, if it is legal, then good on them. But I'm sure I've seen forwards penalised for pushing in the scrum.
    Clarity anyone?

2. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    Was fair enough. Allowed to push once the ball is in the scrum. Refs often tell them not to push, but that's all before the ball goes in.

3. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,401 / 130
    Helps to stay awake, good on the Tiges too smart.

4. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    If the rule is as the tigpies did and brissie kid said then why don't teams push more often given most teams pack a lot of backs in there these days

5. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    Pushing is fine standing up out of the scrum before the ball is free ia not

6. Brissie Kid

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    Foran fed the ball. I think he fed it too fairly near the middle & the ball took longer than normal to get to the back of the Manly pack. Most halves like DCE have the ball out before any push from the opposition pack could do anything.

7. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 103
    Exactly. Let's get the scrums resembling a contest instead of a 'smoko'. No more backs in the scrums, nor forwards in the backline. Imagine if we did, we might even see the return of attacking raids from scrums!

8. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,341 / 111
    I hate players leaving early and not being penalised .

9. Brissie Kid

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    There were probably six penalties the referee could have given against Wests Tigers anyway in that scrum if they were officiating by the rule book.

10. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    Front row of the tigers one wa standing up watching the scrum unfold the other 2 not far behind. But I didnt mind the actual puah and play added somwthing to the penalty fest

11. Brissie Kid

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    100%. I've see Manly time after time hold the ball at the back of the scrum & then draw the opposition backs to go early inside the 10m. No penalty.

The referees seem to negate all attempts in the game for teams to use initiative and creative moves.

12. Eagles2nv

Eagles2nv New Team, New Beginnings 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,399 / 35
    I thought it was a penalty for pushing in the scrum.

That aside, it was nice to see some pushing in the scrum. With all the banning of shoulder charges and fighting it would be a nice way to bring some aggression back into the game.

13. Oliver

Oliver Active Member

Ratings:
    +122 / 2
    Loved it. Now bring back racking the ball after a tackle.

14. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    Hopefully it gave us an idea for a surprise semi-final tactic.

15. MissKate

MissKate Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 7
    I thought the last team that tried it got penalised and they said you were not allowed to do it any more. I think if the tigers had tried it against souffs or the rorters they would have been penalised for it

16. Bradza

Bradza Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +490 / 6
    Of course you can push in the scrum, you just can't go off early and with the ridiculous scrum feeds these days that doesn't leave much time to spring this move. If used in moderation and when a team's concentration is lapsing it is worth a shot.

Souths actually tried it near the end against the Dragons last week but the ball got out fast enough just before the pack got pushed back over it.

As someone said above there was multiple penalty options available to the refs in that scrum but I think they were too surprised themselves when it happened.

I'm pretty sure that the bloke who picked up the ball was packed (and I use that term very loosely) in the 2nd or front row. How can he pick the ball up without having unbound from the scrum before the ball came out?

If teams tried this tactic once or twice a game maybe the scrum formation/binding might improve a bit as teams would need to be ready for it.

There was an aerial shot of a scrum in the state of origin that showed what a joke the lack of binding has become from the lock right through to the front row.

Anyway, scrums are a lost cause so on with the show..................

17. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    Excerpt from:

RUGBY LEAGUE LAWS OF THE GAME
    INTERNATIONAL LEVEL WITH
    NOTES ON THE LAWS AND
    NRL TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP INTERPRETATIONS

(APPROVED BY THE AUSTRALIAN RUGBY LEAGUE COMMISSION)

OFFICIAL FEBRUARY 2013

Section 12 (4)

Pushing

4. It is permissible for forwards to push - except where
    the Safeplay Code applies, once the scrum has been
    correctly formed but if it moves an appreciable
    distance to the disadvantage of any one team before
    the ball is put in then the Referee shall order the
    scrum to reform in its original position.

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/NRL%20Rules%20book%202013FINAL.pdf